Player Discussion IIHF U18's Thread

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Swedes strike first, Hughes with the turnover and Holmstrom scores on Knight to make it 1-0 Sweden.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Broberg's wearing #4 for the Swedes. Grewe is 24, Soderstrom is 6.

On the US side, Turcotte's wearing 19, Cole Caufield is 13, Boldy is 9, and of course Knight is 24 in net.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I haven't looked in on the Finn-Canada game. I'm more interested in the US and Swede guys -- just for fun.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Boldy sets up Caufield. Super patient pass over the goalie's stick, Caufield going to the goal-mouth with authority and cashes it in.

Boldy's done more things that I like.

And now 2-1 as Beecher scores.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Canadians getting spanked 3-0. They are sleepwalking through this game. No one looks impressive for the Canadians so far.

I'm glad I picked the US game.

Hughes had a penalty earlier, Turcotte just picked one up in the offensive zone too.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
Rees gets one back for Canada. Nearly gets another one but fires wide. Finns struggling to contain his speed.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Turcotte drew a penalty early. He's had a great chance earlier that Ahlenfelt made a magnificent save on. He worked on both PP units, recently as the net-front guy on PP1. Hughes put one on his stick for a defection that came close.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
How's Newhook looked? I'm curious to see if he has a good tournament, if he jumps up the draft boards.

It's still early but he looks really good. Lot's of confidence, dangerous with the puck, strong back checks, looks like the QB on the PP....speed ok. He has been more of threat than Cozens out there. Always questions with guys coming out of the BCHL but if he continues to play at this level he likely gets into the top 10.

My brother is a broadcaster for a BCHL Team and watches the kids closely. He has been saying Newhook is a top ten player for awhile.

Rees though has been the standout for Canada thus far. Kid is everywhere. Lacks size but blazing fast and feisty as hell.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's still early but he looks really good. Lot's of confidence, dangerous with the puck, strong back checks, looks like the QB on the PP....speed ok. He has been more of threat than Cozens out there. Always questions with guys coming out of the BCHL but if he continues to play at this level he likely gets into the top 10.

My brother is a broadcaster for a BCHL Team and watches the kids closely. He has been saying Newhook is a top ten player for awhile.

Rees though has been the standout for Canada thus far. Kid is everywhere. Lacks size but blazing fast and feisty as hell.

Thanks! We've caught him just a couple of times and the talent is evident. And as a draft aside, I'd love to see them pluck Carter Berger with a later pick---such a talented offensive kid and as a D+1 overager, he ticks some boxes for what they like, including the NCAA path.

Reactions: sabresandcanucks

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
USA has had an issue taking o-zone penalties today. I don't think they've taken one that was in their own zone.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
Krebs and Cozens showing flashes of skill but likely need a game or two to get settled in. Cozen's looks shaky with the puck but the speed is evident. Krebs with lots of jump but is getting knocked off the puck, needs to be a fraction of a second faster with his decisions.

It continues to be the Rees show. Kid is everywhere, throwing hits, back checking, leading rushes, dangling in the O zone....

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Caufield had a play along the all on the PP where he was simply bulldozed out to the blueline, along with the puck. It's the peril of small wingers - but in open ice, he's been flashing his shot and getting to seems.

People might not like this, but I've thought Boldy is the most noticeable "good" among the US forwards so far through 2 periods. I'd put Beecher-Turcotte-Caufield behind him. Hughes has only had one dangerous rush for and two dangerous rushes against.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Just about to head out, 3-1 USA. Beecher doing good things with speed in the offensive zone again. York slings it to McCarthy who just puts it on net for the goal.

NOW I'm out. :biglaugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad