Player Discussion IIHF U18's Thread

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
This game is not a ringing endorsement for Podkolzin. One assist but his main highlights have been getting blown up twice on hits. TSN announcers continually commenting on how they have not mentioned him nearly enough today.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Podkolzin has been a terror in this game.
Matthew Boldy is Reinhart incarnate.
Alex Turcotte is as advertised.
Caufield having trouble being effective against a physical and tight checking Russian team.

This is going to be an issue for him at the NHL level, I love his motor, but you don't teach size, and he's being pushed around by 17-18 year old's. I'm a big proponent on passing on him at 7!

Reactions: Goathead

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Honestly, I'd take Boldy or Zegras at 7 and be happy.

York with the lower pick would be a steal.

Really like Beecher's game.

Beecher is a lot like Boldy. The Wheeler comps were interesting. He's been my second favorite US player in the games I've watched.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
This game is not a ringing endorsement for Podkolzin. One assist but his main highlights have been getting blown up twice on hits. TSN announcers continually commenting on how they have not mentioned him nearly enough today.
That’s funny, but it’s mostly because they haven’t mentioned him. I counted a few times he did something and they didn’t call his name out.

Reactions: Chainshot

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I agree - he was doing things on the puck and off that they simply didn't comment on. It seemed like TSN's usual benign anti-everyone else not Canadian commentary to me.

He was maybe the 5th best Russian today. It was a single game but he didn't stand out as the 3 RD best talent in the draft today.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I remain quietly impressed with Beecher. And I do find Boldy a player who does things that win. Yes, he's boring... but he does things that make sure his line is in the other zone, and then does smart things with the puck when he gets there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad