Prospect Info: Igor Shestyorkin Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I'm looking at the roster of Dinamo Riga, the worst team in KHL's Western Conference where SKA plays.

Justin Shugg was a good AHLer who even got called up for a cup of coffee for the Carolina Hurricanes.

Colton Gilles played over 150 NHL games over 4 seasons. Played for Team Canada in WJC 2008 (against Stepan and Kreider).

Patrick Mullen: Assistant Captain for the Bingo Senators for 2 seasons. Quality AHLer and the son of Hall of Famer Joe Mullen.

Pyotr Schastlivy: 129 NHL games. Captain of Team Russia in the World Championship. Point per game in WJC-20.

Tim Sestito: 101 NHL games. Captain or Assistant Captain in the AHL for 4 seasons.

Lauris Darzins scored 5 points in 5 games for Team Latvia in the Olympics.

Krišjānis Rēdlihs: Former AHLer for 3 seasons for the Albany River Rats.

There are others who never played in North America who play just as well as these guys, at least based on stats.

This team would probably be able to hold their own very well in the AHL. And they're the worst Western Conference team in the KHL.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Igor looks very promising with great stats!
..hype hype!! :)

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Watched only the last 6 minutes of the game. Shesterkin made one great save on a 2-on-1, but otherwise it was just SKA attacking trying to come back at the end against the turtle. I'm so used to SKA winning by half a dozen goals or more that it's a bit stunning to see them lose. Shesterkin made 19 saves on 21 shots. Not horrible, but will bring down his stats a little bit. Still, at the start of the season, we'd be happy if he consistently put up stats like these, we just got spoiled recently.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, its not like he gave up 6 goals. He gave up 2. The first one was terrible defense. A player on SKA lost the puck behind his net, it found its way to a defenseman who walked down into the slot and fired a slapper by Shestyorkin who was screened by two players. The second goal was a drive to the net, the puck was loose after Shestyorkin made the save, and the other team was first to the loose puck. I don't know how much he could've done on either goal.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Yeah, its not like he gave up 6 goals. He gave up 2. The first one was terrible defense. A player on SKA lost the puck behind his net, it found its way to a defenseman who walked down into the slot and fired a slapper by Shestyorkin who was screened by two players. The second goal was a drive to the net, the puck was loose after Shestyorkin made the save, and the other team was first to the loose puck. I don't know how much he could've done on either goal.

Don't matter. Trade him. :sarcasm:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's in the 3 Stars almost every game so there's no reason to post it every game, but since they lost this game, I just wanted to post this to make the point that he wasn't actually bad in yesterdays game.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2117551

this is a refreshing read.... fun to look back though. all the shots i took here for saying its buchy and shesty 1 and 2.

and the mcilrath stuff too. i said skjei was worlds better and mc would be gonzo. i got shredded. look what happened ? just sayin.

"banging the drum that buchy is out best prospect" yup :nod: guilty as charged

and having shestyorkin #2 behind buch ??? yup :laugh:

all the non believers....

"On what planet is Shesty a "blue chip" prospect? He's a very good goalie prospect, but blue chip? No. I get that he's Russian and that means that he's the greatest ever or something, but give me a break. If he was putting up his VHL numbers in the KHL, sure. But he's not. He's putting up solid but not amazing KHL numbers".

my old friend jonathan.....

It's kind of incredible that you don't grasp that he took a major step. Ironically, you made the ridiculous comment that Skjei wasn't a prospect in that thread and somehow expect me to take you seriously now? :laugh:

Edge and I were in complete agreement in that thread. We both needed to see him play at a high level in the KHL before we crowned him a "blue chip prospect".

I'd also still easily rank Vesey over Shesty. And it's not really close right now. I think he's closed the gap with Skjei, but I'd rank them about even right now.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Vesey, skjei, and Buch are getting regular minutes in New York.. they've graduated in my mind. Shesty is our best prospect with probably graves in 2nd.. still don't think he makes it to newyork.. I think we trade shesty in an attempt to make another run before hank is too old

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Vesey, skjei, and Buch are getting regular minutes in New York.. they've graduated in my mind. Shesty is our best prospect with probably graves in 2nd.. still don't think he makes it to newyork.. I think we trade shesty in an attempt to make another run before hank is too old

There's no way they trade Shesty with a 34 year old goalie who isn't getting any younger. :shakehead

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's kind of incredible that you don't grasp that he took a major step. Ironically, you made the ridiculous comment that Skjei wasn't a prospect in that thread and somehow expect me to take you seriously now? :laugh:

Edge and I were in complete agreement in that thread. We both needed to see him play at a high level in the KHL before we crowned him a "blue chip prospect".

I'd also still easily rank Vesey over Shesty. And it's not really close right now. I think he's closed the gap with Skjei, but I'd rank them about even right now.

I understand if people wanted to see Shestyorkin play well in the KHL first, but its not like the only thing that he has going in his favor now is his KHL play.

He's had a pretty good track record way before this season. He just hadn't played many KHL games, so while I can understand wanting to see him in the KHL before elevating him above others, its not like there weren't other reasons that some of us would have him in the top 2. If we believed he was a starting caliber goalie before these KHL games, there's a reason to put him in the top 2.

Not that this is a major concern, but how is Shesty's English?

He's said in interviews that its not that good, although he lists on his VK page that he speaks English. Shouldn't matter that much though, considering we have a translator on the team for him. The problem was always going to be the first Russian player to come over, not the second.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I understand if people wanted to see Shestyorkin play well in the KHL first, but its not like the only thing that he has going in his favor now is his KHL play.

He's had a pretty good track record way before this season. He just hadn't played many KHL games, so while I can understand wanting to see him in the KHL before elevating him above others, its not like there weren't other reasons that some of us would have him in the top 2. If we believed he was a starting caliber goalie before these KHL games, there's a reason to put him in the top 2.

There's not a single reason to have him above either Buch or Vesey. He's firmly below both of those players right now. And at the time that thread came around, it was even more clear (which is hard to imagine).

After this season? He may very well be the top prospect since Buch, Vesey, and Skjei will all graduate.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
There's not a single reason to have him above either Buch or Vesey. He's firmly below both of those players right now. And at the time that thread came around, it was even more clear (which is hard to imagine).

After this season? He may very well be the top prospect since Buch, Vesey, and Skjei will all graduate.

Absolutely. Honestly I see him in a bit of his own tier after those 3 graduate.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Classic odc. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad