Prospect Info: Igor Shestyorkin Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Shesterkin was beaten with literally 2 seconds to go as the other team had a PP, but luckily the hit the goal post, leaving him visibly laughing as the buzzer sounded. Still, this is his 8th shut out. He made 25 saves today.

Flash Score is only giving him credit for 23.

And yeah, I thought that was a goal. :laugh:

I wanted to stop watching after it was like 4-0 after a few minutes, but wanted to watch to see if he'd get a shutout. Boring game, and he almost didn't get it. I think the shot might've hit the post as the buzzer sounded or just after. I'm not even sure if it would've counted, but it did go by him.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I know people are saying that SKA gives up good chances but I still feel uncomfortable with how good they are. By that I mean, I still wonder if his numbers are ridiculously inflated.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know people are saying that SKA gives up good chances but I still feel uncomfortable with how good they are. By that I mean, I still wonder if his numbers are ridiculously inflated.

Of course they are, but he's always been good, so its not a big problem.

Look at his save percentages on the below link for the last few years. Not all those teams inflated his numbers. This is the only year his numbers have been inflated by his team, and every single year he's had good numbers.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=195577

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

A few years ago, Halverson was on a loaded squad and I warned at the time that all those wins does not mean he's great. However, Halvy never put up dominant GAA/SV stats. He also played in the Juniors, not in the world's second-best league. Shesterkin still faces high quality shots and while it's true that the team is dominant, he does not look like the weak link on the team, he looks like one of the guys who belongs on a great team.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Games: 22
GAA: 1.32
SV%: .949

At the same age, Lundqvist played 28 games and had 1.45 and 0.948 in the SEL. However, while Lundqvist was giving up a full goal less than his backup, a former NHLer, Shesterkin is not that far ahead of Costco who's at 1.60 GAA.

Last edited:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Games: 22
GAA: 1.32
SV%: .949

At the same age, Lundqvist played 28 games and had 1.45 and 0.948 in the SEL. However, while Lundqvist was giving up a full goal less than his backup, a former NHLer, Shesterkin is not that far ahead of Costco who's at 1.60 GAA.

Who?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
How good is his KHL team? Is he just on a great team here or what?

They're first in the KHL with about 10 points over second place. They have a +95 goal differential. Good is...an understatement.

That being said, he needs to make high quality saves a good amount of the time, so his stats aren't too inflated.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Playing on a offensively stacked team doesn't inflate your GAA and SV%.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Wow, pretty damn dominate team. True though, those numbers can't be inflated. Interested to know how many quality chances he faces, are there advanced stats for KHL?

Look at me seeking out advanced stats. I'm evolving.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2117551

this is a refreshing read.... fun to look back though. all the shots i took here for saying its buchy and shesty 1 and 2.

and the mcilrath stuff too. i said skjei was worlds better and mc would be gonzo. i got shredded. look what happened ? just sayin.

"banging the drum that buchy is out best prospect" yup :nod: guilty as charged

and having shestyorkin #2 behind buch ??? yup :laugh:

all the non believers....

"On what planet is Shesty a "blue chip" prospect? He's a very good goalie prospect, but blue chip? No. I get that he's Russian and that means that he's the greatest ever or something, but give me a break. If he was putting up his VHL numbers in the KHL, sure. But he's not. He's putting up solid but not amazing KHL numbers".

my old friend jonathan.....

darko

Feb 16, 2009

this is a refreshing read.... fun to look back though. all the shots i took here for saying its buchy and shesty 1 and 2.

and the mcilrath stuff too. i said skjei was worlds better and mc would be gonzo. i got shredded. look what happened ? just sayin.

"On what planet is Shesty a "blue chip" prospect? He's a very good goalie prospect, but blue chip? No. I get that he's Russian and that means that he's the greatest ever or something, but give me a break. If he was putting up his VHL numbers in the KHL, sure. But he's not. He's putting up solid but not amazing KHL numbers".

Shesty took the next this season. Prior to this season people had every right to question your ranking. Just because you ended up being right doesn't change anything.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Shesty took the next this season. Prior to this season people had every right to question your ranking. Just because you ended up being right doesn't change anything.

so then enver lisin, something something, enver lisin. right darko ? :laugh:

prospect discussion.

buch #1

shesty #2

skjei no longer a prospect really and just the better player.

mcilrath gonzo.

check and mate.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
so then enver lisin, something something, enver lisin. right darko ? :laugh:

prospect discussion.

buch #1

shesty #2

skjei no longer a prospect really and just the better player.

mcilrath gonzo.

check and mate.

Nah i was gonna go with 'even the broken clock is right twice a day'. ;)

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

Vesey is still the better prospect..so i'm not sure what drum you're banging on.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Please, please, PLEASE tell me that you're referring to me with this and that you deliberately misquoted me as saying you've been "banging the drum that he's our best prospect". That's just pure gold.

And yes, I was the only person in that thread to use the term "banging the drum" so I can't wait to hear this.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Maybe not SV% but GAA it could if they're always in the other zone. Are they not defensively stacked?

They have a ton of talent, which helps keep the puck on offense, but they do allow a decent number of odd man rushes against Shesterkin. Say what you will but giving up half a goal per game and stopping 98% of shots over 11 games in the world's second-best league is f'ing impressive for a kid who's not old enough to buy a beer.

A month ago, Shesterkin faced CSKA, the best team in the KHL outside of SKA. CSKA is probably on par with some NHL squads. I think it's as good as most non-playoff NHL teams. They put up an avalanche of 38 shots against him. He still shut them out. Can't blame that on easy opposition.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad