Prospect Info: Igor Shestyorkin Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Given the current geopolitical climate, I'm sure we'll be buddy-buddy with Russia soon enough and can work out a way to get Shestyorkin over here.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Given the current geopolitical climate, I'm sure we'll be buddy-buddy with Russia soon enough and can work out a way to get Shestyorkin over here.

Actually, now that you mention it...I wonder if we might get a new NHL/KHL transfer agreement with Putin playing nice with the US, and possibly by extension...Canada

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Where can we watch games/highlights?

I don't know how many people here get the TV Channel OneWorld Sports, but I know that its on in the NY Area, and it shows a few KHL games per week. His team is the best team in the league, so they are shown very often. They aren't on the next few weeks from what my TV Guide says, but probably will be back on very soon.

There are also tons of streams to watch on the internet. If you want to do that, you can just google it.

If you want to see his highlights, just follow Alex Nunn on twitter. He gifs his big saves. https://twitter.com/aj_ranger?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

KHL Website and Flash Score will have some highlights, but goalie highlights are usually only when they give up goals.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree with what Kshadoo said.

He's in the first year of a 3 year contract. This year and next year he can play in the KHL, the year after if he's still playing really well, there can be the option to buy that year out.

At that time, Raanta's contract is up, and Hank will probably need to split reps with another goalie.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Why do you keep saying this, it makes you sound ignorant. He has a contract with his KHL team, a pro league without a transfer agreement with the NHL. The Rangers can't just call him up or demand that he come over, this isn't the AHL, the CHL, whatever.

I KNOW you know all this which is why it's baffling to me you keep banging this drum like the Rangers in particular are trying to keep him over in the KHL as long as possible.

There has to be a way to get him out. Russian teams are all losing money and everyone backing them is in trouble because their economy is a disaster. It's worth investigating if the Rangers can buy him out from SKA.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
There has to be a way to get him out. Russian teams are all losing money and everyone backing them is in trouble because their economy is a disaster. It's worth investigating if the Rangers can buy him out from SKA.

SKA is backed by Gazprom, they won't be in trouble that fast - at least not as long as the world still runs on fossil fuels.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
SKA is backed by Gazprom, they won't be in trouble that fast - at least not as long as the world still runs on fossil fuels.

Malkin turned around and left Russia a decade ago despite having a contract. I assume SKA would not want the same outcome and would prefer to make a deal. Also, Gazprom's main concern cannot be hockey, I doubt they give them a blank check where the SKA GM doesn't care about money at all.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Malkin turned around and left Russia a decade ago despite having a contract. I assume SKA would not want the same outcome and would prefer to make a deal. Also, Gazprom's main concern cannot be hockey, I doubt they give them a blank check where the SKA GM doesn't care about money at all.

What's the current rule for such buyout under the CBA? I think under the 2005 CBA any transfer fee outside a transfer agreement would've counted against the cap. Is it still like that?

And of course SKA doesn't get a blank check from Gazprom, but for a company with 105 bn revenue, a couple millions don't really make a difference.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
What's the current rule for such buyout under the CBA? I think under the 2005 CBA any transfer fee outside a transfer agreement would've counted against the cap. Is it still like that?

And of course SKA doesn't get a blank check from Gazprom, but for a company with 105 bn revenue, a couple millions don't really make a difference.

I don't think we should look at Gazprom as the available budget of SKA. I think Gazprom writes a check to SKA and the number is not so enormous that a couple million is irrelevant.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
I don't think we should look at Gazprom as the available budget of SKA. I think Gazprom writes a check to SKA and the number is not so enormous that a couple million is irrelevant.

I think it depends. I general I'd agree, but in special circumstances (like the signing of a star like Kovalchuk) I'm sure Gazprom would be willing to spontaneously give some extra money.

In the end of course I think Shestyorkin himself is the deciding factor. If he really wants to play in the NHL, he will and maybe SKA will be open to negotiations. However they'll try a lot to keep him and if he continues this play and turns into a star of the KHL, I'm sure Gazprom would be ready to shell out an extra couple of millions to persuade him.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Can we just dispense with the nonsensical complaining about his contract right now? He will be over there for at least another year after this season. Then we can talk about bringing him over, paying the contract off, etc.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I'm pretty sure it's not allowed for a NHL team to buy out a KHL contract, I think it has to be the player buying it out, but would be happy to be proven wrong

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I don't care even if he spends 3 years there and then comes over. Let him dominate the 2nd best league in the world. His NHL opportunity will come.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
In any video I've seen of Shesty, my only real criticism is sometimes he has a lot of unnecessary hand movement on shots from the outside. However, it's a very minor concern with high-reflex goalies. It'd be an issue if he was a Ben Bishop or Robin Lehner, but he's so good at tracking the puck that I can't even really be mad about it.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He has watched a 20 minute power play. 5-0. This team scores more than the Rangers.

Yeah, 8-0 at the start of the 3rd against the team, that had 5 wins in a row before the game. It's a CSKA like domination of the Soviet league. It's just because SKA is on a level of average to good NHL team, and half of KHL teams are your average AHL one.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I was just thinking of the same thing. SKA can play in the NHL and competently so. I wouldn't guarantee that they would make the NHL playoffs, but I wouldn't be shocked if they did.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Shesterkin was beaten with literally 2 seconds to go as the other team had a PP, but luckily the hit the goal post, leaving him visibly laughing as the buzzer sounded. Still, this is his 8th shut out. He made 25 saves today.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Another shutout. Got credit for 23 saves. Probably made 3 or 4 tough saves. When people say goalie stats are inflated for SKA, this is the type of game they mean. He really had nothing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad