Prospect Info: Igor Shestyorkin Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Isn't he signed to a 3 year deal though?

With the KHL, I believe that if the player/KHL team/NHL team all are in agreement, they can buyout the contract (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

That being said, yes Shesty is under contract until 2019

darko

Feb 16, 2009
With the KHL, I believe that if the player/KHL team/NHL team all are in agreement, they can buyout the contract (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I doubt there is an agreement between KHL and NHL. It's more along the lines of Shesty telling SKA I'm done, relese me out of my contract.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY

It looks like players are able to sign contracts with the inclusion of an "out" clause that, I would imagine, is a player's right to exercise in the event they are offered a position in the NHL. I found a few articles from 2015 (1, 2) saying the NHL and KHL were close to reaching a 4-year agreement on some sort of transfer agreement, but I can't find anything about that actually going through. I did find another article about Vlad Sobotka from September 2016 saying that he can't get out of his KHL contract because after re-negotiating the contract for more money, he signed it and didn't know that the "out" clause in his previous contract had been removed in the new one.

From one of the articles:

This will be an upgrade of the current Memorandum of Understanding and allow for several things. You can read a fuller version here but, in short, it allows two main things: More transparency, and open routes both ways between the leagues with compensation.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Who knows when Hank's body will start to give out. Richter was extremely reliable until he was exactly Hank's age when he ran into a series of injuries and re-injuries, retiring at the age of 36. Hank will be 35 in March. And Richter didn't have Hank's workload at a young age because he split the time in the net with Beezer, nor did he play as much in the playoffs. Hank already played 40 more regular season and playoff games than Richter played in his whole career.

By the end of next season (2017-18), Hank will have played close to 200 more career regular season and playoff games than Richter by the time he retired. If Shesterkin spent next season as Lundqvist's understudy, he'd be possibly ready to replace Hank in case of injury or cold streak. By 2018-19, Lundqvist will be older than Richter at retirement with hundreds more games played. There's no reason not to have a guy guy ready to replace Hank at a moment's notice.

Not sure what you specifically meant by the bolded. Hockey wise - I'd agree but Richter had a history of getting ligament and musc injuries. Hank has been different.

Many here were up in arms over Buch staying an extra year in the KHL. Well, it didn't hurt and very likely help him to start his Rangers career as well as he had. I'm sure in the big scheme an extra year in the KHL will not hurt the Rangers nor Shesty's career with the Rangers.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
other thing with Hank is you never know if the guy decides to retire in year 6 of his contract. He might just be wanting out of playing hockey, or perhaps he gets a job within the organization. Hank wouldn't hold his contract over this team for $16M...

It would not be wise to bet your rent money on either happening.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He can buy the last year of his contract out for 2/3 of yearly salary. I don't think his salary really big, because he's just become a starter, and as a backup and youngster he couldn't get a lot of money even in SKA.

Of course SKA can offer him a big rise to persuade him to sign a new contract, like they persuaded Gusev. The choice will be up to Igor, and it will depend on Rangers as well, how active and persevering the team be.

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013

As in all things Russia, I am sure stuff can be worked out :wink:

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
Jonathan Quick really hit the ice when he was 23-24. If there were a similar play-in you're looking at 2019-20.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Where can we watch games/highlights?

KHL website has a highlights section for each game. The link is usually up quickly once the game is over and they've compiled it all.

I believe you can also pay to watch individual games.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
SKA up 7-0 on Lokomotiv right now about halfway through the third period. 21 saves for Shesty so far.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
It's gotten to the point where giving up 1 goal on 27 shots at a time when the goal made no difference is a disappointment.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
1.39 and .946 after 21 games.

But yeah, let's keep him in Russia while Raanta has to start for months at a time because the 36-year-old Lundqvist inevitably got injured.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
But yeah, let's keep him in Russia while Raanta has to start for months at a time because the 36-year-old Lundqvist inevitably got injured.

Why do you keep saying this, it makes you sound ignorant. He has a contract with his KHL team, a pro league without a transfer agreement with the NHL. The Rangers can't just call him up or demand that he come over, this isn't the AHL, the CHL, whatever.

I KNOW you know all this which is why it's baffling to me you keep banging this drum like the Rangers in particular are trying to keep him over in the KHL as long as possible.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
1.39 and .946 after 21 games.

Why worry about years from now? Perhaps after this year or next the kid will want to play over here. These things usually have a way of working themselves out.

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004
Why worry about years from now? Perhaps after this year or next the kid will want to play over here. These things usually have a way of working themselves out.

In any event it is great news that he is playing so well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA