If You Were Talbot Would You Re-Sign Here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Carolina (Lack has struggled) and Calgary would be possibilities

All it takes is one team to drive up the price. Much like how Ramo got 4M.

Rants would be an option if Talbot leaves. Not much out there in the UFA market

Ramo getting 4M on a 1 year deal is a lot different than getting offered a 10.5M over 3 years deal.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
He's still an unproven starter, so I think if he was offered a reasonable contract from Edmonton, he'd sign it. He's not going to have a bunch of options if he goes to free agency.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
A lot of teams wanted Cam Talbot last summer. He is starting to show everybody why. He looks like a number 1 goalie, and his career stats are awesome.

If you were Talbot, would you want to sign long term in Edmonton?

If so, how much would it take to sign?

If you are the Oilers how long-term do you really want to go is my question. Wouldn't really give him much more than 3 maybe 4 years. Even then it's quite a bit of a risk

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Like another poster said, goalies just want to play. Talbot definitely needs to put together a few more solid games before you can call him a #1. He and Nilsson are going to battle the rest of the way.

If I'm Chiarelli, I'm being conservative with the contract. I'd do 2 year max. Neither guy has really shot the lights out.

This summer is going be all about improving the defence which should help the goalies next season.

I know we all just assume the worst with free agents, but McDavid, Chiarelli, McLellan and the sweetest ass arena in the league will make some think that Edmonton isn't so bad.

Last edited:

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Of course he'd sign here. There are 30 starting jobs in the NHL and a lot of goalies trying for one. If a goalie finds a team that will play him as a number 1, they will sign there. As for what it would cost, he hasn't proven enough yet. I suspect the Oilers and his agent will wait until the end of the season and then figure it out.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He's still an unproven starter, so I think if he was offered a reasonable contract from Edmonton, he'd sign it. He's not going to have a bunch of options if he goes to free agency.

True. Also, if Edmonton wanted to, they could start negotiating with him right now. That's an advantage over every other team in the market.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Gotta love the thread title. Oilers fans hilarious inferiority complex strikes again.

Goaltenders, coaches, GMs, etc. They rarely get to be choosy. There are more people for those jobs than jobs themselves. Signing for those roles is not something Edmonton will ever struggle with.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Goalies tend to recognize that their opportunities are in short supply at the NHL level.

He hasn't proven anywhere near enough to snub the one he has been given, and I'm sure he knows that.

ice_man

Oct 20, 2003
The longer they wait, the more money I think it will cost. Talbot is not so unproven. I saw a stat that only Rask and Schneider have better career save percentages than Talbot for goalies that have played more than 50 games. Talbot has played 77 games. Those two goalies are making more than $6,000,000.

Someone (Toronto, Calgary) will pay him $4,000,000 + this summer.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
I'd be very surprised if they hadn't started talking contract already.

I'd even go so far as to say a deal will be made before month's end....

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
Crazy, a couple bad games and he could lose the starter role to Nilsson and end up with no deal, or he could keep playing like he is and get a big offer.

Here is a chance for the Oilers to get a value contract.

I like Talbot but he is still relatively unproven. Perhaps he takes a three- four year deal for 2.5 mill. a year?? He makes 1.45 now, but would be signing to be our starter... I think he's a keeper but I also thought that about Scrivens. Tough call but an important one for the Oilers. If we get into the playoffs on his back then he's a 5 million a year goalie... They need to decide soon.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
He will sign as long as we offer him a reasonable contract. He wants to be a #1. I am not sure how many other teams will offer him a big money contract right now.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Team SV% is .905, which isn't quite good enough but not hideous either. There's been some inconsistency, but probably nothing too crippling. Both Talbot and Nilsson have had extended runs of starter level goaltending.

Honestly would look to re-sign both, because we may need a longer sample to get an accurate idea of whether or not either man can start. 2 years for Talbot, 1 year for Nilsson.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
lol at thread. We're 1-2 weeks removed from fans on this board saying Talbot was garbage and that the team literally couldn't win with him in net.

I was the only one defending Talbots play.

The team also buried him for along while somehow thinking that Nillson was the better goalie.

Talbot may resign here but I'm not sure how much the fans, or the team itself, would deserve it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
lol at thread. We're 1-2 weeks removed from fans on this board saying Talbot was garbage and that the team literally couldn't win with him in net.

The team also buried him for along while somehow thinking that Nillson was the better goalie.

Talbot may resign here but I'm not sure how much the fans, or the team itself, would deserve it.

It's a performance based business, boo hoo. He was not playing well since that Halloween game versus the Flames and Nilsson was outplaying him.

He still hasn't earned an extension by any means to begin with ... he's had like 4 or 5 good games, which I'm happy for, but he's got a ways to go before earning a contract.

If he can play well for another 6-8 weeks, if he's lucky he will get an extension offer from the Oilers, and looking at the goaltending market ... I would suggest he take it and run if its in the neighborhood of $10 million dollars.

I would have no problem re-signing Nilsson as well.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

Talbot had some weak games and Nilsson grossly outplayed him, so Nilsson got all the starts. Now Nilsson has had a few weak games and Talbot is outplaying him, so Talbot will get the lionshare of the starts.

Any criticism that the team has mismanaged a Goaltender by riding the hot-hand is pretty weak. It's absolutely the correct play when dealing with unproven, potential #1's.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
It's a performance based business, boo hoo. He was not playing well since that Halloween game versus the Flames and Nilsson was outplaying him.

He still hasn't earned an extension by any means to begin with ... he's had like 4 or 5 good games, which I'm happy for, but he's got a ways to go before earning a contract.

If he can play well for another 6-8 weeks, if he's lucky he will get an extension offer from the Oilers, and looking at the goaltending market ... I would suggest he take it and run if its in the neighborhood of $10 million dollars.

Yeah, a short time ago we were all talking about how Nilsson had snagged the starters role. Both guys have had moments of solid and not-so-solid play. Way too early to decide much yet as far as I can see.

Really hoping both guys continue to improve though. Two solid goalies would be such a relief.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Fundamentally its been crystal clear throughout that Talbot is the much better goalie. His rebound control for instance being on a whole other level than Nillsons.

People take one aspect, some unlucky bad angle goals and extrapolated everything from that somehow determining that Talbot was bad in net.

Sometimes some bad breaks just occur. Every bad angle shot that has beat Talbot it looks like the puck has had eyes finding the most narror margins. On two of the to goals it was his own D putting it in. Shultz on one play took two whacks to put it in..:laugh:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Fundamentally its been crystal clear throughout that Talbot is the much better goalie. His rebound control for instance being on a whole other level than Nillsons.

People take one aspect, some unlucky bad angle goals and extrapolated everything from that somehow determining that Talbot was bad in net.

Sometimes some bad breaks just occur. Every bad angle shot that has beat Talbot it looks like the puck has had eyes finding the most narror margins. On two of the to goals it was his own D putting it in. Shultz on one play took two whacks to put it in..:laugh:

Nilsson is the only reason we're not in last place by a country mile. He's the only reason there's a faint glimmer of hope of snagging a Pacific Division spot.

Say what you want, but that win streak with him in net saved our ass and probably has made the season salvageable, and he carried the team during that streak.

Which is what you want. These guys are here to perform, so go and perform. No excuses. Talbot was not getting it done, that weak goal that cost us the Calgary game on Halloween rattled him very obviously and led to several weeks of poor play on his part.

If anything he *owes* us a solid stretch of play now. This is what he was brought here to do ... take the starter role, we gave up picks to get him. So go and take it. No excuses.

But make no mistake. This season would've been over without Nilsson IMO, it would have been another year that's a complete wash by November if it wasn't for that 5 game win streak and honestly we got outplayed several times in that streak, it was Nilsson that saved our season.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Talbot had some weak games and Nilsson grossly outplayed him, so Nilsson got all the starts. Now Nilsson has had a few weak games and Talbot is outplaying him, so Talbot will get the lionshare of the starts.

Any criticism that the team has mismanaged a Goaltender by riding the hot-hand is pretty weak. It's absolutely the correct play when dealing with unproven, potential #1's.

BS.

Talbot is absolutely the better goalie and I have no doubt in saying so on sample seen.

Nillson has the simple advantage of being huge and a lot of pucks hitting him. Fundamentally there is no question Talbot is the more sound goalie.

Talbot for awhile was a little pissed at now seeing action. We'll see if that had any impact on any loyalty he might feel with his incumbency.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Nilsson is the only reason we're not in last place but a country mile. He's the only reason there's a faint glimmer of hope of snagging a Pacific Division spot.

Say what you want, but that win streak with him in net saved our ass and probably has made the season salvageable, and he carried the team during that streak.

Which is what you want. These guys are here to perform, so go and perform. No excuses. Talbot was not getting it done, that weak goal that cost us the Calgary game on Halloween rattled him very obviously and led to several weeks of poor play on his part.

If anything he *owes* us a solid stretch of play now.

Yet Nillson has been garbage in his last half dozen starts which is a longer string of futility than Talbot has ever had and you say nothing about that. Nillson has also been pulled in games twice.

Talbot has had the lions share of tougher starts on the year. Nillson has tended to get more of the games that are more likely to be wins.

Oddly enough though Nillsons rebound control is so poor his stats show more SA in those games against weaker opponents than Talbot has had. :laugh:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yet Nillson has been garbage in his last half dozen starts which is a longer string of futility than Talbot has ever had and you say nothing about that. Nillson has also been pulled in games twice.

Talbot has had the lions share of tougher starts on the year. Nillson has tended to get more of the games that are more likely to be wins.

Oddly enough though Nillsons rebound control is so poor his stats show more SA in those games against weaker opponents than Talbot has had. :laugh:

My point remains. Season is over without Nilsson. He saved the season. You can spin that however many ways you want, but without that 5 game win streak ... we would be in Eakins-ville right now and making mock lineups with Austin Matthews in them.

You can hate on the guy all you want, but signing him was worth it for that stretch of play alone.

Talbot like too many guys here in the past got rattled by a couple of bad games and got into the "oh no! This is my chance at being a number 1 and I'm blowing it!" mindset that killed Scrivens, Fasth, Dubnyk and others here ... if Nilsson had not come in and played well ... our season is done.

At least now for the first time in several seasons we have a chance to play meaningful games down the stretch. He bought us time for Talbot to get his head back on straight.

And if you can't give Nilsson any credit for that, then honestly you're letting a crazy amount of bias get in the way.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
BS.

Talbot is absolutely the better goalie and I have no doubt in saying so on sample seen.

Nillson has the simple advantage of being huge and a lot of pucks hitting him. Fundamentally there is no question Talbot is the more sound goalie.

Talbot for awhile was a little pissed at now seeing action. We'll see if that had any impact on any loyalty he might feel with his incumbency.

Nilsson was stopping pucks, Talbot wasn't. Simple as that.

Your personal scouting report of each player doesn't mean anything to me. I trust the Oilers coaching staff infinitely more than I trust you on this matter.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Nothing really personal about it.

I trust a coaching staff more than I trust myself, or any other poster here, in terms of evaluating a goaltender. It is the most complex position in hockey and understanding all of the nuances is something I wouldn't trust to lay-man. It's why I don't make any pretenses about understanding the position.

So to me, it boils down to whether or not they're making saves. Nilsson was, Talbot wasn't. Now it's the other way around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad