If You Were Talbot Would You Re-Sign Here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Nilsson was stopping pucks, Talbot wasn't. Simple as that.

Your personal scouting report of each player doesn't mean anything to me. I trust the Oilers coaching staff infinitely more than I trust you on this matter.

Yeah, I'm not sure how it's even up for debate. Nilsson was playing much better than Talbot was for a stretch, and now Talbot has been playing better and is getting more starts.

I will say though, it's very nice to have 2 goalies that have a save % north of .900 for a change.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
My point remains. Season is over without Nilsson. He saved the season. You can spin that however many ways you want, but without that 5 game win streak ... we would be in Eakins-ville right now.

You can hate on the guy all you want, but signing him was worth it for that stretch of play alone.

Talbot like too many guys here in the past got rattled by a couple of bad games and got into the "oh no! This is my chance at being a number 1 and I'm blowing it!" mindset that killed Scrivens, Fasth, Dubnyk and others here ... if Nilsson had not come in and played well ... our season is done.

At least now for the first time in several seasons we have a chance to play meaningful games down the stretch. He bought us time for Talbot to get his head back on straight.

And if you can't give Nilsson any credit for that, then honestly you're letting a crazy amount of bias get in the way.

oh jebus. What a one sided commentary. Nillson was absolutely blown after the Caps game allowing 6 GA in 30 mins of play in 17shots. This resulted in the Oilers overplaying Talbot as NIllson was not an option. Talbot had to play every game in that string and too many for a guy that had not had been used to that. Nillson, after a long break comes back and plays well for around 5 games. A period in which Talbot is ironically considered rat **** bad here.

Talbot has now played excellent in several of his last starts and Nillson has been brutal in his last half dozen starts.

Wheres the narrative that Talbot is saving this club right now. lol on the day after the team got 2 pts and ONLY because of Talbot getting a shutout.

Your one sided view is beyond the pale.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
oh jebus. What a one sided commentary. Nillson was absolutely blown after the Caps game allowing 6 GA in 30 mins of play in 17shots. This resulted in the Oilers overplaying Talbot as NIllson was not an option. Talbot had to play every game in that string and too many for a guy that had not had been used to that. Nillson, after a long break comes back and plays well for around 5 games. A period in which Talbot is ironically considered rat **** bad here.

Talbot has now played excellent in several of his last starts and Nillson has been brutal in his last half dozen starts.

Wheres the narrative that Talbot is saving this club right now. lol on the day after the team got 2 pts and ONLY because of Talbot getting a shutout.

It's not one sided it's giving credit where credit is due.

Your view is one sided. I don't favor either one of these guys, and pretty much what's happening this season is basically what I expected from day 1 -- one would get hot for a stretch, we ride that, then he would fizzled out, and we ride the other goalie (much like Calgary last year with Ramo/Hiller).

Neither has seized the no.1 spot, and if either gets an extension from the Oilers they should consider themselves lucky.

I'm just giving Nilsson his due ... this team was ready to fold like a cheap tent in December. You could taste it, it's what we do and what we've done in the last several years.

Nilsson came in at a vital time and give us a badly needed win streak and that has bought us time for McDavid to heal and for Talbot to get over his shakiness.

Now it's Talbot's time to carry the load. As it should be. He will have some bad games eventually, then Nilsson will have to take over for a stretch. And vice versa.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Nilsson was stopping pucks, Talbot wasn't. Simple as that.

Your personal scouting report of each player doesn't mean anything to me. I trust the Oilers coaching staff infinitely more than I trust you on this matter.

McLellan by his own admission isn't comfortable with a two goalie rotation. He states he's much more comfortable having a clear number 1. Which oddly enough for awhile here he picked the one that won't end up being the right #1.

people can say what they want.

I'll put this out there. If the battle remains between Talbot and NIllson, Talbot will prevail as the #1. No doubt at all.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It's not one sided it's giving credit where credit is due.

Your view is one sided. I don't favor either one of these guys, and pretty much what's happening this season is basically what I expected from day 1 -- one would get hot for a stretch, we ride that, then he would fizzled out, and we ride the other goalie (much like Calgary last year with Ramo/Hiller).

Neither has seized the no.1 spot, and if either gets an extension from the Oilers they should consider themselves lucky.

I'm just giving Nilsson his due ... this team was ready to fold like a cheap tent in December. You could taste it, it's what we do and what we've done in the last several years.

Nilsson came in at a vital time and give us a badly needed win streak and that has bought us time for McDavid to heal and for Talbot to get over his shakiness.

Now it's Talbot's time to carry the load. As it should be. He will have some bad games eventually, then Nilsson will have to take over for a stretch. And vice versa.

The team looked to be folding again before Xmas except Talbot has rescued some games and points.

"you could taste it" lol

We all have biases don't we? ;)

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The team looked to be folding again before Xmas except Talbot has rescued some games and points.

"you could taste it" lol

We all have biases don't we? ;)

I'm not biased towards either one. I don't give a **** who is net. I want WINS. That's all I give a **** about.

Win the goddamn game. I don't care if it's an elephant in net. I don't care what their rebound control or goalie style is like. Are you winning the goddamn game for us or not? That's all I give a rats ass about. Can I make that clearer or not?

I would play Miley Cyrus or OJ Simpson or Bill Cosby in net over either one of them if it meant winning the game. I do not give one smelly poop about the name of the goalie between the pipes or what their story is or whatever. Give the team a chance to win the game. That's all I want.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Both goalies have gone through great stretches and horrific stretches. That's all we can definitively say right now.

I like Talbot's mechanics and movement better, but some of the goals he lets in are very Dubnyk esque. Nilsson has better size and seems to have a better mental game. JMO.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm not biased towards either one. I don't give a **** if who is net. I want WINS. That's all I give a **** about.

Yet you credit Nillson for "Saving the season" and Talbot is chopped chicken **** that OWES US. :laugh:

Despite Talbot actually being the better goalie on the year.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Both goalies have gone through great stretches and horrific stretches. That's all we can definitively say right now.

I like Talbot's mechanics and movement better, but some of the goals he lets in are very Dubnyk esque. Nilsson has better size and seems to have a better mental game. JMO.

4 goals have been bad angle goals. 2 of those put in by his own D wherein Talbot was anticipating what the opposition would do rather than hapless dolts like Schultz. That Schultz own goal is still lol of all time play. Puts it in on his second attempt..:laugh::amazed:

Some of those you just chalk up as bad breaks and "puck had eyes". Positionally and fundamentally Talbot is looking the better goalie, has far superior rebound control, tracking puck better, and his peak game is better than Nillsons.

Talbot has seen tougher opposition and yet has better stats than Nillson this year.

Can't agree at all that Nillson has the better mental game. Maybe it seemed that way for awhile. Nillson got really rattled in two games so far where he had to be pulled. Nillson hasn't had a good game in weeks now.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm not biased towards either one. I don't give a **** who is net. I want WINS. That's all I give a **** about.

Win the goddamn game. I don't care if it's an elephant in net. I don't care what their rebound control or goalie style is like. Are you winning the goddamn game for us or not? That's all I give a rats ass about. Can I make that clearer or not?

I would play Miley Cyrus or OJ Simpson or Bill Cosby in net over either one of them if it meant winning the game. I do not give one smelly poop about the name of the goalie between the pipes or what their story is or whatever. Give the team a chance to win the game. That's all I want.

Weren't you one of the posters saying here that the team couldn't win a game with Talbot in net just 2 weeks ago?

lol that those comments were followed immediately by Talbot stealing another game in his very next start.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yet you credit Nillson for "Saving the season" and Talbot is chopped chicken **** that OWES US. :laugh:

Despite Talbot actually being the better goalie on the year.

Neither has been that much better than the other one to definitively say one has done anything special. Both still have a save percentage that I would consider to be sub-par.

ALL I'm saying is Nilsson stepped in during a crucial point of the season and got us some goddamn WINS.

And that's all I give a **** about. And I will give him credit for that.

This team is exactly 10 points better than it was a year ago at game 41 ... that 5 game win streak was crucial in this team being any better than gong show of last year.

I don't give a crap about playing favorites to either one. Like I said I would drop both of them in a split second and play Bill Cosby in net if it meant more wins. I do not give one **** about either one of them on a personal level. They're not Fuhr or Roli or Cujo, they haven't been Oilers long enough for me to give a hoot about who they are. They have a job to do and are paid handsomely to perform, so go perform.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
4 goals have been bad angle goals. 2 of those put in by his own D wherein Talbot was anticipating what the opposition would do rather than hapless dolts like Schultz. That Schultz own goal is still lol of all time play. Puts it in on his second attempt..:laugh::amazed:

Some of those you just chalk up as bad breaks and "puck had eyes". Positionally and fundamentally Talbot is looking the better goalie, has far superior rebound control, tracking puck better, and his peak game is better than Nillsons.

Talbot has seen tougher opposition and yet has better stats than Nillson this year.

Can't agree at all that Nillson has the better mental game. Maybe it seemed that way for awhile. Nillson got really rattled in two games so far where he had to be pulled. Nillson hasn't had a good game in weeks now.

Sometimes I really feel bad for Schultz; he looks like he's trying hard, maybe too hard, and it's just not working for him, but on that one I started laughing hysterically.

Maybe Nilsson got a bit comfortable. He was a great KHL goalie, looked like he'd transferred over no problem, and casually swatted Talbot out of the starting job for a couple weeks.

1990*

I hate to use this word for obvious reasons, but it strikes me as a "visual" difference between the two.

I mean, I still get heartburn thinking of Halloween. That was all on Talbot, and it wasn't the only time that night he decided to impersonate a Bedouin wanderer behind his net. Fans don't forget that stuff. Nilsson against Chicago? Eh, that's a bad game and all goalies have 'em- not the least against triplicate Cup winners. Talbot's short-side squeakers that he allows time after time because he has commitment issues with the post? That's on Talbot.

Now, I 100% agree that Cam has played like a man possessed twice in his past three starts; he deserved a better fate against Anaheim, for sure. I'll even give him Arizona as a good effort. But it's going to take a long time and a lot more of those kinds of outings to erase some very strong and very bad memories. You tend to remember the instances in which you paid time and money only to be kicked in the balls coming and going, and Talbot's left me with that feeling more than Nilsson this season.

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
Well this discussion about re-signing a goalie has quickly turned into worthless debate, "I always said...".
Yes both goalies have been good for stretches and both have also struggled. Guess what? That happens, it's why teams have two goalies. And currently Talbot has the reins.

So would you resign him now trying to get a good $ deal, and at how much?? This team will improve when McDavid is back so why not sign him now before his stats get pumped up...

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I hate to use this word for obvious reasons, but it strikes me as a "visual" difference between the two.

I mean, I still get heartburn thinking of Halloween. That was all on Talbot, and it wasn't the only time that night he decided to impersonate a Bedouin wanderer behind his net. Fans don't forget that stuff. Nilsson against Chicago? Eh, that's a bad game and all goalies have 'em- not the least against triplicate Cup winners. Talbot's short-side squeakers that he allows time after time because he has commitment issues with the post? That's on Talbot.

Now, I 100% agree that Cam has played like a man possessed twice in his past three starts; he deserved a better fate against Anaheim, for sure. I'll even give him Arizona as a good effort. But it's going to take a long time and a lot more of those kinds of outings to erase some very strong and very bad memories. You tend to remember the instances in which you paid time and money only to be kicked in the balls coming and going, and Talbot's left me with that feeling more than Nilsson this season.

Talbot has had several good starts in the last month.

Excellent work in games against Boston, Chicago, Winnipeg, Vancover, Anaheim, Arizona, Carolina.

In that time his only questionable play has been against the LA Kings. A pretty hard opponent for any club.

Nilson hasn't had even a .900 start in a month. :amazed: Talbot has had 6 in that same period of time.

ps Nillson has **** the bed 3 times this year with 6, 5, 5 GA starts. You ignore those somehow in memory while Talbots one 5 GA game of the season (he was fatigued) is etched in your memory. How objective is that?

To me, and should be anybody, the absolute worst goaltending performance this season was Nillsons horrendous 6GA in 17shots in 30mins against the Caps. Nothing else objectively even comes close.

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010

Excellent work in games against Boston, Chicago, Winnipeg, Vancover, Anaheim, Arizona, Carolina.

In that time his only questionable play has been against the LA Kings. A pretty hard opponent for any club.

Nilson hasn't had even a .900 start in a month. :amazed: Talbot has had 6 in that same period of time.

ps Nillson has **** the bed 3 times this year with 6, 5, 5 GA starts. You ignore those somehow in memory while Talbots one 5 GA game of the season (he was fatigued) is etched in your memory. How objective is that?

To me, and should be anybody, the absolute worst goaltending performance this season was Nillsons horrendous 6GA in 17shots in 30mins against the Caps. Nothing else objectively even comes close.

Got that, Talbot is currently our starter, as planned. Nilsson has been a decent back-up who had a good stretch and a couple stinkers.

Moving on, what would you offer Talbot?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well this discussion about re-signing a goalie has quickly turned into worthless debate, "I always said...".
Yes both goalies have been good for stretches and both have also struggled. Guess what? That happens, it's why teams have two goalies. And currently Talbot has the reins.

So would you resign him now trying to get a good $ deal, and at how much?? This team will improve when McDavid is back so why not sign him now before his stats get pumped up...

No I don't try to resign either right now. Neither has earned anything like that.

I want a .910 save percentage *minimum* from both come March. Then we'll talk extension. If you're not at .910, then the "extension" is for a back up role, and that's going to be $2 mill or less for one year type thing.

End of discussion. And I don't want to hear "yeah but the D is bad!" ... Dubnyk had a .915+ save percentage here with an equally bad D, Bryzgalov was about .910 too. Why should we sign you to an extension if you cannot outperform a Bryzgalov here?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Got that, Talbot is currently our starter, as planned. Nilsson has been a decent back-up who had a good stretch and a couple stinkers.

Moving on, what would you offer Talbot?

I wouldn't lowball that's for sure. I would offer the amount that is expected to close the deal. I'm not a GM, why ask?

My take is clear. Talbot is our starter going forward and unless we are in the running to obtain a significantly better goalie (who would that be) he's a CRITICAL signing.

As others have stated I wouldn't even wait, I would get to it now. I've seen enough to see he's he orgs clear #1. The offer should reflect that.

Seriously if you are in the Talbot camp you know the Oilers need your services much more than Talbot specifically needs the Oilers. If anything this teams play is damaging to goalies worth.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I wouldn't lowball that's for sure. I would offer the amount that is expected to close the deal. I'm not a GM, why ask?

My take is clear. Talbot is our starter going forward and unless we are in the running to obtain a significantly better goalie (who would that be) he's a CRITICAL signing.

As others have stated I wouldn't even wait, I would get to it now. I've seen enough to see he's he orgs clear #1.

Worth noting that there is diddly and squat available for FA goalies this offseason. Also worth noting that Nilsson is NOT a UFA, he's an RFA. All he needs is a qualifying offer.

Outside of our duo:

Ward, Hiller, Ramo, Khudobin, Reimer, Enroth, Raanta, Stalock, and scrubs.

Are ANY of those options better than Talbot? I'd say no. Either unproven or declining.

1990*

I'm not saying it's a fair assessment. I'm merely posing the theory. Which is a fan most likely to remember- a winnable game against a much-hated provincial rival that went bye-bye in the last seconds due to an unforced error, or a nothing game against a team we're lucky to see twice a year from the other conference? Nilsson wasn't great against Washington, and even though it was only his third game as an Oiler I won't excuse it. However, he MORE than made up for it with his play during the run that made the first half of the season even remotely interesting. That's the kind of streak Talbot is going to have to have in order to win some more praise.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Worth noting that there is diddly and squat available for FA goalies this offseason. Also worth noting that Nilsson is NOT a UFA, he's an RFA. All he needs is a qualifying offer.

Outside of our duo:

Ward, Hiller, Ramo, Khudobin, Reimer, Enroth, Raanta, Stalock, and scrubs.

Are ANY of those options better than Talbot? I'd say no. Either unproven or declining.

I think Nilsson and Talbot could be a decent pair next year.

QO Nilsson for a year. If someone really wants to give him more than $1.05M ago from there. Can't see him getting a lot more than that if he wants to stay in the NHL.

For Talbot two years with a $2 ~ $2.5M AAV should get it done.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm not saying it's a fair assessment. I'm merely posing the theory. Which is a fan most likely to remember- a winnable game against a much-hated provincial rival that went bye-bye in the last seconds due to an unforced error, or a nothing game against a team we're lucky to see twice a year from the other conference? Nilsson wasn't great against Washington, and even though it was only his third game as an Oiler I won't excuse it. However, he MORE than made up for it with his play during the run that made the first half of the season even remotely interesting. That's the kind of streak Talbot is going to have to have in order to win some more praise.

Talbot over the last month has other than the LA game, had solid starts in all 7 of the other GP. How does that not count for anything? That's a longer string of solid netminding than the 2 weeks Nillson put up.

This how this reads to me. Talbot plays absolutely solid for a month=not much credit.

Nillson plays well for only 2 weeks and he "saved the Oilers season" according to some posters.

Theres an imbalance here and yes its silly to weight some games like the Calgary game more than others.

Overall Talbot has been the better goalie and with harder starts than Nillson has had. This is indisputable.

1990*

Talbot over the last month has other than the LA game, had solid starts in all 7 of the other GP. How does that not count for anything? That's a longer string of solid netminding than the 2 weeks Nillson put up.

It doesn't count in the sense that it didn't lead to wins. This is a fanbase that is tired of moral victories- and after nine years, they should be. No one is giving accolades for almost-weres and could-have-beens, no matter how dismal the offense has been at times.

This how this reads to me. Talbot plays absolutely solid for a month=not much credit.

As said, he gets full marks for the four victories (BOS, WPG, ARI, CAR) and Vancouver, where he stole us a point. But Anaheim? That's a loss in the standings and no points. Calgary? He had plenty of run support. LA? You've made a big deal of six goals in 30 minutes, but how about three in 1:36?

He's played better than Nilsson, sure. But not so much more that it's been a slam-dunk by any means.

Nillson plays well for only 2 weeks and he "saved the Oilers season" according to some posters.

Well... he did. Play down to even 0.500 during that run and we're trailing the Jackets by two points. Right now, though, we're a win and change from 20th in the league. It's improvement.

Theres an imbalance here and yes its silly to weight some games like the Calgary game more than others.

Why? That was a game Talbot should've won, and it came at a point when the team was building terrific momentum. They'd hit a bit of a skid after a good three-game run, but gutted out a huge win against Montreal and looked poise to hit the ground running in November until the Trick or Treat game. As it is, that's a huge two points we could use today.

Overall Talbot has been the better goalie and with harder starts than Nillson has had. This is indisputable.

It's also indisputable that Nilsson is 10-10-1 on a banged-up club, and Talbot is 7-11-2. This has never been a team up to play above the opponent- always to them. As such, I don't put much stock into the competition argument. You win 'em or you don't.

Again, it's time we got away from moral victories and focused on winning games. Nilsson, for all his faults, put together a great run that actually resulted in points on the board. Talbot, for as good as he's been in losing efforts, hasn't. Time will he tell if he continues to build on his last good month, or if he fades off again.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I was hoping/guessing that Talbot would have a 92%+ save pct this season and Nilsson would have approximately 91% save pct.

Talbot is about 1% short of that now... and Nilsson is right about where I hoped he would be.

To me Talbot is the "better" goalie based on his abilities and fundamentals but Nilsson with his size has the ability to stone teams over stretches as well.

I think they do make a good combo and it's nice that they could be shaping up as a pair of at least "average" goalies.

Keeping in mind that this D is clearly a bottom 5 group in the league, these two goalies may actually be an above average duo on a better club. Stick them on a team like LA and they'd probably look like one of the top 1A-1B duos in the league.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I was hoping/guessing that Talbot would have a 92%+ save pct this season and Nilsson would have approximately 91% save pct.

Talbot is about 1% short of that now... and Nilsson is right about where I hoped he would be.

To me Talbot is the "better" goalie based on his abilities and fundamentals but Nilsson with his size has the ability to stone teams over stretches as well.

I think they do make a good combo and it's nice that they could be shaping up as a pair of at least "average" goalies.

Keeping in mind that this D is clearly a bottom 5 group in the league, these two goalies may actually be an above average duo on a better club. Stick them on a team like LA and they'd probably look like one of the top 1A-1B duos in the league.

Yes. End thread haha.

I agree with you. Good duo. Talbot is fundamentally better. Nilsson is a good backup to have around.

Need better D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad