If You Were Talbot Would You Re-Sign Here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
The starting goalie job is still up for grabs.

If either of them can put together a sustained streak like Nilsson did to start December then the starter status might change.

How good an offer is Talbot going to get from someone else?

actually there are some decent? UFA goalies that will be available for signing like Cam Ward, Jonas Gusafsson, Nick Backstrom, Jonas Hiller, Antti Raanta, James Reimer, Chad Johnson and Jonas Enroth. not sure though if any of these goalies are any better than Cam Talbot? it will be interesting to see though if T-Bay will try to trade Ben Bishop and go with Andrei Vasilevskiy as some in the media have suggested might happen, as well as the Ducks possibly moving Frederik Andersen to give the starter to John Gibson as has also been suggested from time to time locally on TSN radio, as well as the Wings perhaps trying to dump the salary of Jimmy Howard and going with Peter Mrazek. shall be interesting from here to the summer UFA season!

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
actually there are some decent? UFA goalies that will be available for signing like Cam Ward, Jonas Gusafsson, Nick Backstrom, Jonas Hiller, Antti Raanta, James Reimer, Chad Johnson and Jonas Enroth. not sure though if any of these goalies are any better than Cam Talbot? it will be interesting to see though if T-Bay will try to trade Ben Bishop and go with Andrei Vasilevskiy as some in the media have suggested might happen, as well as the Ducks possibly moving Frederik Andersen to give the starter to John Gibson as has also been suggested from time to time locally on TSN radio, as well as the Wings perhaps trying to dump the salary of Jimmy Howard and going with Peter Mrazek. shall be interesting from here to the summer UFA season!

Looking at that crop of FA goalies I don't see Talbot standing head and shoulders above the crowd. That list doesn't leave me fearful the Oilers will have to overpay Talbot to keep him here.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I stand by the fact Nilsson outplayed and looked like the superior of the two for the majority of the first 30+ games or so. I certainly like him a lot better in the shootouts.

But for the last while talbot has been the significantly better goalie and is looking like he is worth signing if possible. He is not a flashy goalie at all, and unless I am missing something does not look like a goalie that will ever be considered elite. But his consistency lately is a breath of fresh air.

Nilsson has the higher potential but Talbot more and more is looking like a legit NHL starter. Far too long since we seen one of those here. As long as we don't have to overpay I would take him right now over most if not all the other FA names being tossed around.

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I think he will. He will likely be our starting goalie and that is what all NHL goalies want to be. Our team is young and lacking defence which is bad, however our team is playing better than it was last year and that is even with a number of injuries. With a healthy roster, Connor McDavid a forward who will more then likely be a top point man in the league and the Oilers will probably get another good d man in the draft. There is alot to be optimistic about.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Nilsson has the higher potential but Talbot more and more is looking like a legit NHL starter. Far too long since we seen one of those here. As long as we don't have to overpay I would take him right now over most if not all the other FA names being tossed around.

Completely agreed. I think the path forward is clear.

I don't want to lock Talbot up for too long. Three years at a $3.5M AAV? Maybe two years with a higher AAV? If he wants a longer term than that he is dreaming.

Dubnyk's second contract is a comparable. That was two years at a $3M AAV. Dubnyk's season before he signed that deal was eerily similar to what Talbot is putting up this year. a 2.67 GAA, a .914 save pctg and two shutouts. Talbot has a 2.66 GAA, a .912 save percentage and one shutout.

Give Talbot the extra half mil per season and everything should work out.

Re-sign Nilsson for another year and let Broissot compete in camp.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
This should not even be a question. Talbot is our number 1, clearly, as I've been saying for months and we need to sign him.

Price going up every game. Get a deal done.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
I think we all know that he'll come in at around 3-3.5 and 3 years. The Oilers still have Brossoit looking decent in Bakersfield and need to hold on to some money to improve the defense. I'm sure Talbot will be resigned. There aren't really a lot of options for him as a UFA anyway, so his representation probably want to get something done.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
This should not even be a question. Talbot is our number 1, clearly, as I've been saying for months and we need to sign him.

Price going up every game. Get a deal done.

Speedyturtle is the one and only legitimate source on this forum when it comes to Oilers insider knowledge and their assertions have been proven true multiple times over in the last couple of years.

When they say that Talbot is likely staying, I'll take them at their word for it.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Speedyturtle is the one and only legitimate source on this forum when it comes to Oilers insider knowledge and their assertions have been proven true multiple times over in the last couple of years.

When they say that Talbot is likely staying, I'll take them at their word for it.

Not doubting that. But timing is critical capwise. Get the deal done sooner rather than later. Price is going up as we speak. I would've signed off on this weeks ago.

Actually way back in November I'm on record saying I've seen enough, he's our #1.

A few rough games didn't once change my opinion on Talbot.

Fundamentally solid goalie right on top of his game and with lightning fast reflexes and all kinds of battle.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Not doubting that. But timing is critical capwise. Get the deal done sooner rather than later. Price is going up as we speak. I would've signed off on this weeks ago.

Actually way back in November I'm on record saying I've seen enough, he's our #1.

A few rough games didn't once change my opinion on Talbot.

Fundamentally solid goalie right on top of his game and with lightning fast reflexes and all kinds of battle.

I don't think we could've signed him in November. Wasn't there some rule that he couldn't be signed to an extension until january this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad