If You Were Talbot Would You Re-Sign Here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ice_man

Oct 20, 2003
A lot of teams wanted Cam Talbot last summer. He is starting to show everybody why. He looks like a number 1 goalie, and his career stats are awesome.

If you were Talbot, would you want to sign long term in Edmonton?

If so, how much would it take to sign?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
How many teams need a starting goalie? There is very few options for goalies in free agency. If Edmonton offers him a good contract then he'd probably take it instead of going UFA.

Measles

Oct 30, 2015
Calgary
Money being equal I think he signs here. It's pretty clear he has won the #1 job. He knows that defensive help will inevitably come before next season, which will help him out a lot. All players want to be part of a great team, and he has a chance to be part of it on the bottom floor. If we have faith in Chiarelli, we project to have a legit playoff team in a couple years and hopefully up up up from there.

If he's sour having to wrestle back his starting position from a rookie backup, then ya, he will probably bail.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
No.

I honestly don't think he will sign here. I wouldn't sign unless I knew that screw up Schultz was not going to be back and the defense overall wasn't getting some kind of significant upgrade.

I think even a team like Carolina might be better fit for any FA goalie not wanting to be hung out to dry.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
He has a .941 save percentage in his last 10 games combined.

He's about 2-3 more quality starts away from being the definite No.1 guy that we should sign immediately.

If you offered 3 years at around 3 per, or in that range, he probably takes it because there aren't many offering No.1 jobs or No.1 money.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Sure. How many teams have a Connor McDavid on them? Ride that gravy train.

There's not that many teams looking for starting goalies anyway as we know.

The D will improve, the Oilers have like 20 million in open cap room to spend there, and Nurse/Klefbom/Reinhart will eventually start to get better and better.

Carolina ... who knows in 2-3 years they might be in the same situation Arizona is in with a wonky ownership issues. Oilers are rock solid with a new arena coming and the one of the best (if the best) young group of forwards in the game and an improving D.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Absolutely, why not? We gave him a chance to be a bonafide #1, but didn't hand it to him on a silver platter, either. McDavid, new rink, team finally showing improvement? Sure, if the money was fair, I'd resign here no problem.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
1) McDavid
2) The Oilers will have the money to re-sign him
3) McDavid
4) He will be "The Guy" here and get all the opportunity in the world to earn a #1 job
5) McDavid
6) New Arena and growing city
7) McDavid
8) A GM who will improve the defense. He won't sit on his hands for long. This team will be a winner before long, it's a matter of when not if.

Oh and Connor Motherfn McDavid!!!

Unless he really hates cold weather, why wouldn't he want to re-sign here?

With that said, lets not jump the gun yet. I like Talbot and always have even through the struggles but he still needs to prove more to be worthy of a multi-year re-signing.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
McDavid, young team, #1 job opportunity, new arena, and money? Why the hell not!

Because someone somewhere disrespected him. He's going to prove himself, somewhere he can also get the most money.

It's all a smoke screen to maximize the cash. Fair enough. These guys have short careers. They have to make the money when they can.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Good looking blonde wife from the USA. What could go wrong? Just kidding. From the looks of her twitter page it seems she is quite involved with Edmonton charities and such. Great Halloween pic of her as Cruella DeVille and Cam in a Dalmatian costume too. :)

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If PC can convince him that he's going to improve the team in the off-season, I'm pretty sure he will. There aren't many teams that will give him a legit shot at being a starter. If he looks good by the end of the season I could see him doing 3X 3-3.5M.

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
Calgary might be a team that would be interested in him. Ramo and Hiller both UFAs and this can drive his price up. Ideally then, the Oilers should evaluate until the trade deadline then look at an extension. (ideally no longer than 3 years)

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If he continues to play well into late Feburary, IMO the Oilers will offer him an extension and he will likely take it.

Agreed that a deal like 3 x 3.5 would be fine, it would set him up for life, most guys who haven't tasted big money in their career generally take the security.

The team is going to get better soon. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure that out, Connor McDavid, Darnell Nurse, Leon Draisaitl, Oscar Klefbom, Taylor Hall, etc. all here.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
If I'm him and I don't get assurance the D in front of me won't be a joke again, then no, I look elsewhere.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If I'm him and I don't get assurance the D in front of me won't be a joke again, then no, I look elsewhere.

That's monumentally stupid. An extension will grant him job security and ensure a very high end life style for him and his family for the rest of their lives.

He will bite the first offer he gets in the $10 million range. There are not many open spots, and likely one of Niemi or Lehtonen is going on the market in the summer too because I don't see Dallas paying that much for goaltending forever and one of Bernier or Reimer likely also hit the market.

If Tampa feels they need to start making cap room, Ben Bishop could also be on the market. Cam Ward will be looking for a spot too.

He hasn't *earned* his extension though, he still has to show that he is a no.1.

Honestly even looking at the goaltending market ... Edmonton and Calgary are really the only two places without a guy for next year for sure. Carolina traded for Eddie Lack, he will likely take over once Ward is done. Philly has Mason still on contract for next year at $4+ mill, don't see them spending big on a goalie. Vancouver is stuck with Miller for another year at a whopping $6 mill per.

Last edited:

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
Easily yes if we offer him anything with term (3 years or so). Only so many starting jobs in the league, and certainly not many on a (presumably) quickly improving club.

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
That's monumentally stupid. An extension will grant him job security and ensure a very high end life style for him and his family for the rest of their lives.

He will bite the first offer he gets in the $10 million range. There are not many open spots, and likely one of Niemi or Lehtonen is going on the market in the summer too because I don't see Dallas paying that much for goaltending forever and one of Bernier or Reimer likely also hit the market.

If Tampa feels they need to start making cap room, Ben Bishop could also be on the market. Cam Ward will be looking for a spot too.

He hasn't *earned* his extension though, he still has to show that he is a no.1.

Honestly even looking at the goaltending market ... Edmonton and Calgary are really the only two places without a guy for next year for sure. Carolina traded for Eddie Lack, he will likely take over once Ward is done. Philly has Mason still on contract for next year at $4+ mill, don't see them spending big on a goalie. Vancouver is stuck with Miller for another year at a whopping $6 mill per.

Carolina (Lack has struggled) and Calgary would be possibilities

All it takes is one team to drive up the price. Much like how Ramo got 4M.

Rants would be an option if Talbot leaves. Not much out there in the UFA market

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Carolina (Lack has struggled) and Calgary would be possibilities

All it takes is one team to drive up the price. Much like how Ramo got 4M.

Rants would be an option if Talbot leaves. Not much out there in the UFA market

I doubt it even gets to July 1 honestly ... if he shows like a no.1 in the next 6 weeks, he will get a contract extension offer in the $10 mill range, that he will likely take.

Every NHL player who isn't making "real" money generally always bites on this, because what happens if you get some freak injury in March or have a stretch of bad games towards the end of the year?

It's not worth it. Take the money and run, you are guaranteed to live a life of luxury for the rest of your life provided you manage the money decently.

Besides at least the Oilers have an excuse on their blue line -- it's very young but that also means they're going to get better. Calgary has allowed the same number of goals pretty much ... what's their excuse?

Carolina IMO is not building a winner, I think their franchise is content to just hover around the cap floor for the next few years. Hockey there is on shaky ground again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad