If You Were Talbot Would You Re-Sign Here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I was hoping/guessing that Talbot would have a 92%+ save pct this season and Nilsson would have approximately 91% save pct.

Talbot is about 1% short of that now... and Nilsson is right about where I hoped he would be.

To me Talbot is the "better" goalie based on his abilities and fundamentals but Nilsson with his size has the ability to stone teams over stretches as well.

I think they do make a good combo and it's nice that they could be shaping up as a pair of at least "average" goalies.

Keeping in mind that this D is clearly a bottom 5 group in the league, these two goalies may actually be an above average duo on a better club. Stick them on a team like LA and they'd probably look like one of the top 1A-1B duos in the league.

Those are a very specific set of wishes. How did you land on those?

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
Good points in the last 10 comments.
Sounds like a good idea to wait see if Talbot can get to a .915, then sign him to a multi year deal before he gets too expensive (like if we waited until he had a .920).
Would work for me, 3 years around 2.5 would be great...

MagicOilers73

Jul 29, 2013
I think he would re-sign, but knows he's not having the greatest season(so far) & therefore won't get the kind of #1 pay he'd expect to get & would take a 2.5-3 mil for 2 year deal to prove himself of the #1 pay he could earn.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Fundamentally its been crystal clear throughout that Talbot is the much better goalie. His rebound control for instance being on a whole other level than Nillsons.

People take one aspect, some unlucky bad angle goals and extrapolated everything from that somehow determining that Talbot was bad in net.

Sometimes some bad breaks just occur. Every bad angle shot that has beat Talbot it looks like the puck has had eyes finding the most narror margins. On two of the to goals it was his own D putting it in. Shultz on one play took two whacks to put it in..:laugh:

Fundamentally, it has not been clear.

Talbots rebound control has been better but his positioning, puck tracking, quickness, and aggressiveness has been worse IMO. Only marginally so, for differences in either goalie and both have shown to be been less than what a #1 should be so far.

I also don't like how deep he plays in his net.

His regularity for letting in back breaking goals against isn't Dubnyk level but if he continues to let softies in it will be. Teams are already focusing on just shooting from anywhere looking for those bad goals.

Plus Nilsson is bigger.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Those are a very specific set of wishes. How did you land on those?

I looked at what the average and above average save pct stats generally are each season... and I was of the opinion that Talbot would be/is an above average goaltender... and Nilsson I projected as (hopefully) an average backup at least.

So basically 91% would be a solid, reliable backup and 92%+ would be a solid starter... and that's why I was projecting/hoping for that specific set of stats for those two.

So far it's shaping up ok... although Talbot has a ways to go to get to 92%... but he's a hell of a lot closer than he was a couple months or so ago.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
Rangers fan checking in here. Happy to hear Cambot is doing well for you guys! He was stellar for us last year when we needed him to be, and I hope he'll be as good to you as he was to us.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
There's games where he gives me hope like the Canes game.

...Then there's games like the Kings game where I think he should be sent down the highway.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
There are only 30 spots for starters and 30ish for backups. He'll sign if we offer him a contract. I am more worried about fixing the D to be honest.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I'd try to sign both him and Nilsson to 2 year deals. Give Brossoit a bit of time and see who emerges in that frame.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
NHL League Average for Save% is .916
http://www.nhl.com/stats/leaders?navid=nav-sts-league#
http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/stats.html

Cambot and Anders are at .908 which is still below league average.

36/37th in the league.

There's a LOT of factors that go into s% such as having a terrible D group, but statistically they're not an amazing duo.

true, but Talbot has been coming around. his save % is decent since he has found his game.

I hope they sign him

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
NHL League Average for Save% is .916
http://www.nhl.com/stats/leaders?navid=nav-sts-league#
http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/stats.html

Cambot and Anders are at .908 which is still below league average.

36/37th in the league.

There's a LOT of factors that go into s% such as having a terrible D group, but statistically they're not an amazing duo.

How many goalies play on clubs as futile as the Oilers or get scored on by their own team 7 times only half way into a season? (Talbot) Any factoring of that divine comedy into the GAA?

GAA's are team metrics essentially. They are used too much to discern independent goalie play.

With all due respect to make a comment that .908 isn't good enough and needs to be .920 to hit average is an opinion that is circumspect of everything else a goalie faces here.

Goalies should be overpaid here for trauma alone.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
How many goalies play on clubs as futile as the Oilers or get scored on by their own team 7 times only half way into a season? (Talbot) Any factoring of that divine comedy into the GAA?

GAA's are team metrics essentially. They are used too much to discern independent goalie play.

With all due respect to make a comment that .908 isn't good enough and needs to be .920 to hit average is an opinion that is circumspect of everything else a goalie faces here.

I can agree with this.

Cambot posted .926 in a pretty substantial sample size in NY.
.908 in Edmonton was roughly about what I expected he would post with our defense.

I'd like to see Talbot back.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

completely agree

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Re-sign Cambot (who aside from a few bad games and a couple of adjustments - easy ones - required to become a stellar starter) or continue the risky goalie roulette and piss away McDavid's ELC? Tough decision...do what it takes to sign him.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Re-sign Cambot (who aside from a few bad games and a couple of adjustments - easy ones - required to become a stellar starter) or continue the risky goalie roulette and piss away McDavid's ELC? Tough decision...do what it takes to sign him.

There won't be that much to signing him.

He doesn't have a ton of options out there. A bridge a decent dollars should get it done. If someone wants to go crazy for dollars or term so be it. 2 years $2.5M aav would be a good starting point for negotiations.

Aug 10, 2015
There won't be that much to signing him.

He doesn't have a ton of options out there. A bridge a decent dollars should get it done. If someone wants to go crazy for dollars or term so be it. 2 years $2.5M aav would be a good starting point for negotiations.

I've always thought of a "bridge" deal to be one for a RFA, to get him closer to the end of his RFA status, but before he becomes UFA. As Talbot would already be a UFA this summer if the Oilers don't resign him, I'm not sure I would say it's a bridge deal as much as just a regular contract.

I'm I misunderstanding the term "bridge contract" or is it meant for younger RFA players only?

I hope that Chiarelli is already in discussions with both Talbot and Nilsson agents and that they are both back next year....behind a better defence.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I've always thought of a "bridge" deal to be one for a RFA, to get him closer to the end of his RFA status, but before he becomes UFA. As Talbot would already be a UFA this summer if the Oilers don't resign him, I'm not sure I would say it's a bridge deal as much as just a regular contract.

I'm I misunderstanding the term "bridge contract" or is it meant for younger RFA players only?

I hope that Chiarelli is already in discussions with both Talbot and Nilsson agents and that they are both back next year....behind a better defence.

"bridge-like" contract?

He hasn't really earned a long-term deal. Three-year deal max. Preferably two years. Unless he plays lights out the rest of this season.

JayTam

Apr 20, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
Why is everybody listing McDavid as a reason to stay? I get that forwards who play with him would think that way, but for Talbot $$$ will be the factor, I think...

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011

Great post, to many people about stats - there should be metrics that account for poor defensive play, being scored on, and overall quality of shot.

Some goalies look great in the system they play in, others don't need as much as a system to be successful.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
so despite a vastly different W/L record, is Nilsson losing the starting goalie battle to Talbot? is Talbot now the front runner to be signed? or do you guys think both will be re-signed? scary thing is that Talbot could actually walk as a UFA if he gets a good offer from someone else.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
so despite a vastly different W/L record, is Nilsson losing the starting goalie battle to Talbot? is Talbot now the front runner to be signed? or do you guys think both will be re-signed? scary thing is that Talbot could actually walk as a UFA if he gets a good offer from someone else.

The starting goalie job is still up for grabs.

If either of them can put together a sustained streak like Nilsson did to start December then the starter status might change.

How good an offer is Talbot going to get from someone else?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The starting goalie job is still up for grabs.

If either of them can put together a sustained streak like Nilsson did to start December then the starter status might change.

How good an offer is Talbot going to get from someone else?

:flyers

Ask them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad