Proposal: If you were David Poile what do you do in the off-season? Just for fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
I think we can add to ellis and get a really good top 6 forward

Lots of options in a potential Ellis trade
We could downgrade him into a less offensive, more dependable d-man (Ellis for Larsson + Yamamoto has been mentioned a lot)
We could swap him for a top-6 guy (Ellis for Nylander?)
We could package him for a big-name, bonafide star forward type (Not sure who might be an option here- maybe someone from Tampa?)

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
We could downgrade him into a less offensive, more dependable d-man (Ellis for Larsson + Yamamoto has been mentioned a lot)
We could package him for a big-name, bonafide star forward type (Not sure who might be an option here- maybe someone from Tampa?)
I would like to give fabbro a chance to be on a the top 4 because he has looked like he could take that role by his play so I don't think its that big of necessity to bring back a defenceman. Plus the expansion draft coming up. I do like the nylander trade or going after a bigger fish. Wonder who else would be available?

Reactions: bdub24

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
I would like to give fabbro a chance to be on a the top 4 because he has looked like he could take that role by his play so I don't think its that big of necessity to bring back a defenceman. Plus the expansion draft coming up. I do like the nylander trade or going after a bigger fish. Wonder who else would be available?

Yeah, not too many A++ names seem to be on the market these days. Duchene could be an option, but he'll be a FA. Panarin is likely going to Florida. Stone signed with Vegas.

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
JT Miller?

Killer? (not a star but a really decent player)

Palat? (he is getting dumped on but he's pretty good a making plays)

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
Why is Tampa trading Stamkos for Subban? They already have Hedman, McDonagh, Cernak, Stralman and Sergachev. Not that all of them are better than Subban, but it seems like a deal that easily makes them worse.
Stralman is UFA and gone

Why no love for Boyle? Thought they were working on extension right now for him?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
JT Miller?

Killer? (not a star but a really decent player)

Palat? (he is getting dumped on but he's pretty good a making plays)
Or I guess Tyler Johnson is the other TB player oft-mentioned as a potential trade candidate for them to fix their Cap for next year.

I'm getting a little more stuck at the C position - last couple of years RyJo stepped it up and it became easy enough to forgive somewhat mundane 1C production numbers in the regular season because he looked more like a bona fide 1C in the playoffs. This year... well, he hasn't been called out too often here yet, but he isn't doing his usual playoff thing this year. And with the void at 2C all year, we're toast.

A strong co-1C like Duchesne would be great, but if Columbus keeps on trucking and the world stops looking at our team as mega-contenders as was the fashion after the '17 run, we might want to think about backup plans. Standing pat and hoping Turris rebounds or Johansen permanently breaks the 1C ceiling would be risky.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
johansen is what he is.

a very low end 1C that has a track record of stepping it up in the playoffs. that has will soon become HAD.

his 8 million a year was cool when he was stepping it up in the postseason. he has to elevate his game.

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
Or I guess Tyler Johnson is the other TB player oft-mentioned as a potential trade candidate for them to fix their Cap for next year.
TyJo is Cooper's pet. He won't go anywhere until Seattle takes him so he can go home (he's from Spokane, I think)

@bdub24 - do you not like me anymore then either? I have no appendix :huh::laugh:

Adding:

The UFAs from Tampa are:

Cobie (Braydon Coburn - D; 35, solid 3-line D-pairing got shafted due to pairing with subpar Garrison, Sustr)

Stralman - solid D, 2nd line - would hope they would keep him but doubtful; no one crosses his blue line (which is why he got hurt)

Rutta - he sucks

Girardi - he did what we asked of him; blocked shots, surrendered his body but... also got hurt

Paquette - he is RFA but a little rascal (and cheap) - dude will fight anyone (including PK, Simmonds, Wilson, Marchand, et al)

Cally is likely to be launched - my guess would be to DET with Yzerman to help give some other leadership there

Reactions: bdub24

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
johansen is what he is.

a very low end 1C that has a track record of stepping it up in the playoffs. that has will soon become HAD.

his 8 million a year was cool when he was stepping it up in the postseason. he has to elevate his game.
I’d say he had one of the best seasons of our forwards after Arvy. Hard to justify 8 a year but if you think about it it’s only 2 more than turris so sadly worth it :(

lostinwarsaw

A Slovak living in Belgium
Feb 26, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Tolvanen, Kondelik and Pitlick into lineup please. I believe kondelik has elite 3C skills, I’ve seen him play at Connecticut and he plays a similar game to Boyle just better offensively, and hits a lot.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Lots of folks will default to moving Subban because of the salary. I get it. But you only do it if improves the team. Based on what I just saw in the playoffs I don’t think removing him from the d helps this team at all. So what do they actually need to do to fix this mess?

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
The coaching was this team's biggest problem and maybe getting too comfortable with the group.

It's so damn hard to win in this league and we were a top-8 team 3 years in a row, a major shakeup isn't needed. With a decent PP, we probably take that series, 0-14 for f***s sake. It just wasn't our year, but we still have a good group here and certainly our window is open still.

Clearly Lavy's system isn't working here anymore but I think he's a good motivator. Something needs to be done about the coaching staff.

Reactions: NNCbama

RedWillys

Dec 13, 2017
Only replace Lavy if you find someone clearly better and more offensively minded.

Replace every other coach, trainer, etc.

Find a real 1C , RyJo as a 2C

Let Simmonds and McLeod go. Probably Boyle too if you can’t make a trade.

Trade Turris, Ellis, PK for forwards and less expensive D-men

Bring up Tolvanen, Pitlick, bump Fabbro to the 2nd pair.

Give Grimaldi a raise

Swap Rinne and Saros

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Lots of folks will default to moving Subban because of the salary. I get it. But you only do it if improves the team. Based on what I just saw in the playoffs I don’t think removing him from the d helps this team at all. So what do they actually need to do to fix this mess?
Unless somebody tells me Subban is broken and can never play at his peak again, I think the real fix on the D is moving Ellis. Game 6, Ellis played better and Subban made the costly mistake. But looking past that, I just think the weak link on the D right now is that they aren't able to use this D corps to maximum effect. Josi needs a sturdier partner than Ellis, and that's not the wilder Subban. It may be too soon for it to be Fabbro. I like the Larsson idea. Somebody with size who moves well and thinks D first. Then Josi can rush the puck and play to his strength without it hurting us as much, and they won't get outmuscled and pinned in their zone as much. And then Subban is your point man in the spotlight, he gets paid the big bucks and has the big shot, so let him use it.

But I honestly don't see them moving Ellis. He's their lovable bearded hobbit and that contract is emblematic of Poile's view that they fully intend Ellis to be part of the long haul with the team. I think we're going to be hobbled by that, nobody is really able to play up to their full potential the way things are.

Up front we need a second scoring line. It was broken all year. Somehow Granlund has to find his mojo with somebody, and if Turris can't be salvaged he has to be replaced with somebody who can do what he was supposed to. That's a tough one. I don't know if you need to trade the D to accomplish this, maybe.

But that's about the extent of what I'd do on player changes. Another aggressive guy who can lay the body like Watson would be nice, somebody who can get in fast on the forecheck and scare the opposition D. I haven't tried to scour the FA lists for a name there yet.

Most of the changes need to come from a whole new coaching staff though. That's really where it all begins. Poile can't be sentimental there. The team doesn't need to be totally blown up or anything, but they definitely need a fresh perspective behind the bench.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Think Ellis needs to go, didn't want to give him that contract to begin with. He's gotten scared all of the sudden, which makes no sense since his contract is basically guaranteed. Slow, lazy, scared, enough reason to send his ass somewhere else.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Time for the team to sit down and figure out what really happened. Luckily they have more insight to make an informed set of decisions than we do here. Who was hurt ... who was just off their game ... were there any issues in the room between players and coaches, players and players, etc ... compare what was set as the plan in the room and rehearsed in practice to what happened in games ... then make moves.

I expect changes in assistant/associate coaches. A shakeup in the top four wouldn't shock me. What is done with the forwards depends on the assessment. If Turris was hampered by rushing back from the break and re-break, I expect the team to keep him. Where his numbers truly fell off was in secondary assists ... so there is a lot to think through before trying to possibly trade him. The same goes for most of the rest of the roster.

Reactions: Viqsi

Pr0fet

Jun 13, 2015
Sign Duchene

Trade Ellis, Turris and PK for Draisaitl and Larsson

Time to give the forwards more offensive freedom, use more defensive defenders and decrease the age of the starting lineup a bit.

Forsberg - Draisaitl - Arvidsson
Granlund - Johansen - Duchene

Josi - Larsson
Ekholm - Fabbro

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
1) Make changes to the coaching staff.

2) Trade one of the top-4.

3) Build a better 2nd line. Granlund is a good start. Duchene would be money.

4) Hope one of the kids Pitlick, Tolvanen, Richard can make the jump to the lineup for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad