Proposal: If you were David Poile what do you do in the off-season? Just for fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I get this season isn't over and we could get hot because we have the talent to go on a deep run which I really hope we do but I just don't see it. I see us being a 1st round exit team with the way were playing. Im frustrated like everyone else but lets have some fun if we do have a 1st round exit what would you do if you was poile in the off-season? It doesn't have to be what you think he would do but what you would do if you was him.

1. I'm getting rid of kyle turris to the highest bidder which frees up 6 million in cap space. I don't care what I get for him as long as he's gone.

2. I know offer sheets don't happen that often but if I'm poile I offer sheet brayden point 7 year 73.5million dollar contract. 10.5 million a year. Force tampa hand. Match it and force them to make major roster moves or take the 4 first rounders. In this senerio lets say they can't match it without giving up stamkos along with other pieces so they take the 4 first rounders.

3. I trade pk subban for Jonathan Huberdeau if Florida would do that. Either way I'm trading Subban. I put my faith in fabbro to be a top 4

4. I'm trading pekka to anyone that would take him. Maybe to someone to get to the cap floor. 5 million a year is to much for a declining goalie.

5. I sign Nilsson or some other free agent goalie for 2.5 or less a year to back up saros

6. Try and sign Boyle and/or simmonds

7. Sign Sissons

Forsberg point granlund
Huberdeau Johansen Arvi
Tolvanen bones smith
Boyle Sissons grimaldi

Josi-fabbro
Ekholm-Ellis
Allard- weber/hammer

Saros
Nilsson

I know it wont happen but it was fun

Reactions: Aardvarksson

Prediculous

May 11, 2018
Redding, CA
Holy f***ing pipe dream lol. I just want Poile to discover the root of our current problems. I cant really figure it out totally, but I'm just praying he has an idea. Our roster is probably between 5 to 10 in the league and honestly that isnt the problem.

Reactions: Tex76

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
The real number 1 should evaluate the assistant coaching staff.

Your 1, 6 and 7 are all well and good but the others are a reach to say the least. I hate to break it to some out there, but this team is set up pretty well. If a top 3 division finish and first round exit is worth blowing up the team and then some, I think that just means we forget what it's like to have a down year. It's not that bad.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
That's pretty ambitious, but that definitely isn't going to happen.

I see something like this:

1. Resign Boyle to a 1/2 year contract at ~2 AAV

2. Shake up the coaching staff, starting with McCarthy

3. Do whatever you need to do to get Fabbro signed

4. Let Simmonds, McLeod, and Rinaldo go

5. Trade/Bury Matt Irwin

6. I doubt we'll trade anymore major, especially not Rinne, but maybe consider trading Ellis or Turris depending on the market.

7. Resign Sissons for 2-3 AAV for 4-5 years

8. Resign Grimaldi for 1 AAV for 2 years

Reactions: Scoresberg

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Pekka isnt getting traded. I suspect hed retire before reporting elsewhere. But Poile wouldnt **** on him like that anyway.

He also has 10 team no trade clause, and I'd imagine that list could cover anyone who would want to trade for him anyways so he's not going anywhere.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
That's pretty ambitious, but that definitely isn't going to happen.

I see something like this:

1. Resign Boyle to a 1/2 year contract at ~2 AAV

2. Shake up the coaching staff, starting with McCarthy

3. Do whatever you need to do to get Fabbro signed

4. Let Simmonds, McLeod, and Rinaldo go

5. Trade/Bury Matt Irwin

6. I doubt we'll trade anymore major, especially not Rinne, but maybe consider trading Ellis or Turris depending on the market.

7. Resign Sissons for 2-3 AAV for 4-5 years

8. Resign Grimaldi for 1 AAV for 2 years

I agree with all of these. To your point 6, I'd try and make a move for Duchene and if you can get him then move Turris out. Otherwise, I think you just have to stick with Turris and hope he can regain his mojo.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
If I were given the options I'd

1. Try to move Kyle Turris for whatever return you can get to free-up space hopefully for a draft pick.

2. Re-sign most of the RFA/UFAs minus Mcleod, Rinaldo, and Simmonds.

3. Trade Irwin if you can, if not, let him go.

4. Sign Fabbro and get him into camp ASAP.

5. Sign Matt Duchene for the 2nd line C

6. Let Pekka Rinne have his retirement tour for his final year.

7. Play Saros a true 50/50 of the games

8. Shake-up coaching staff, fire assistants and show it's time to buckle down or you're gone.

9. Hire a new Strength and Conditioning coach

10. Let Hammer go or tell him it's time to retire.

Lines:

JOFA
Smith-Duchene-Granlund
Sissons-Bonino-Boyle
Grimaldi-Jarnkrok-Watson/Gudreau

Josi Ellis
Subban Ekholm
Fabbro Weber

Last edited:
Reactions: SouthNash

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
If you was poile what would YOU do. Its not what you think poile will do. Yea poile will not trade pekka but if I was poile I would trade him. Poile wouldnt offer sheet but I would. This was just to see what other people would do if they were the gm for the preds

valeriammm

Beers/Bikes/Bums
Sep 21, 2018
I really only see 1 and 6 happening but then again that would be asking a lot who knows

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
If I were given the options I'd

1. Try to move Kyle Turris for whatever return you can get to free-up space hopefully for a draft pick.

2. Re-sign most of the RFA/UFAs minus Mcleod, Rinaldo, and Simmonds.

3. Trade Irwin if you can, if not, let him go.

4. Sign Fabbro and get him into camp ASAP.

5. Sign Matt Duchene for the 2nd line C

6. Let Pekka Rinne have his retirement tour for his final year.

7. Play Saros a true 50/50 of the games

8. Shake-up coaching staff, fire assistants and show it's time to buckle down or you're gone.

9. Hire a new Strength and Conditioning coach
I like it. I kinda shot for the stars with mine lol. This could be way more realistic. I still try to trade pk for forward help but thats me lol

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I like it. I kinda shot for the stars with mine lol. This could be way more realistic. I still try to trade pk for forward help but thats me lol
As with any trade it takes two to tango. If teams value him as poorly as the fans that want him gone do, we won't get much. Especially given his cap hit and term left. If a team still views him as elite and is willing to take on that contract while giving us a really good forward, sure that might work, but the odds are slim. Right now we don't need to just simply get whatever we can for him.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
evaluate the coaching staff. assistants at the very least are gone.

shop some of the core guys. turris and subban are first. turris for a bag of pucks. wouldn't mind seeing ellis being traded over subban either.

look to free agency for a 2C (would probably be a 1C here) in duchene.

Reactions: SouthNash

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
evaluate the coaching staff. assistants at the very least are gone.

shop some of the core guys. turris and subban are first. turris for a bag of pucks. wouldn't mind seeing ellis being traded over subban either.

look to free agency for a 2C (would probably be a 1C here) in duchene.
I'd probably be okay with Ellis gone over Subban.

Sure Duchene and Johansen are neither elite, but you could definitely make the argument that those two centering the top 2 is a better combo than a better-than-Duchene 1C along with a worse-than-Joey 2C.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
If the curse is real, don't go after Duchene.

This team is really solid on paper it's just the matter of getting it going on the ice. We're also set up cap-wise very nicely.

Sign Grimaldi, Sissons and try to get Fabbro and Tolvanen/Richard/Pitlick one of them in the lineup to replace Simmonds.

Maybe look to trade Turris/Subban. I think Turris is having a horrific year but could get it together next year, maybe just an offseason for him. I'd also test the market for Bonino.

Don't see them trading Ellis.

Forsberg - Johansen - Arvidsson
Granlund - Turris - Tolvanen/Smith
Tolvanen/Richard/Pitlick - Sissons/Bonino - Jarnkrok/Grimaldi
Watson - Sissons/Bonino - Jarnkrok/Grimaldi

Josi - Ellis
Ekholm - Subban
Hamhuis - Fabbro

Saros
Rinne

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
The Duchene curse is a myth. The guy just keeps being traded to bad or bubble teams to start with.

He sold his soul for the offside goal against us all those seasons ago; ever since, he's been cursed to avoid the playoffs. By coming to the Preds, the team he wronged, the circle can be completed and the curse lifted.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Duchene would get $10M and be our #1. Trading Turris and Bonino would take care of that.

Duchene
Johansen
Sissons
Boyle

Anyway, everyone is going to focus on those areas, so I'll hit something less pressing. Buyout/waive Irwin and try to trade for someone like Joakim Ryan (RFA on SJS) who is being under utilized in a deep system.

I still can't believe that our 5-7 D are all signed through next season and that Poile essentially chose Irwin over Bitetto, that's definitely a mistake, though a very minor one.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Sign Duchene and move Turris for some depth scoring on the third and fourth lines.

Re-sign Granlund to an extension.

Re-sign Sissons for as long as you can. While not a superstar is a kid who goes out, plays hard and does the right things on the ice game in and game out.

Depending on if Fabbro comes in at the end of his season and performs well, move Ellis or Subban to gain more depth in the bottom 6.

The bottom 6 needs more toughness without a shadow of a doubt.

Shore up the bottom pairing. If it's Fabbro for a year great, if he's in the top 4, then we need someone to pair with Weber. Irwin is not the answer. Would prefer whoever we add brings the nasty to the back end too.

I'd get rid of Jarnkrok. While his deal is sweet he has 24 points in 68 games. Since our top line is not putting up 80+ points a year, the third and fourth lines needs to produce more offensively to have better balance. He had his chance to produce when guys went down with injuries this year and to me, did not step up his game. Has 11 points in 48 career playoff games. That is not going to get it done.

I would say anyone in the bottom 6 other than Sissons should be evaluated. In a perfect world we'd add another forward to the top 6 and move Smith down to the third line for some extra pop in the bottom 6.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It's too early for this thread to mean very much, for sure. As unlikely as it seems right now, the team could suddenly wake up in the playoffs and the list of changes shrinks dramatically. But supposing things follow the current trend which most likely ends in a first round exit...

1. Coaching change. I don't know yet if this should extend to Laviolette, but I trust Poile to know the extent. Regardless, new and established assistant/associate coaches should be brought in. If there is such a thing as a guy with an established track record of running a successful PP, start with him. And these should probably be guys with pedigree or potential - at least one who you could maybe see stepping in as interim head coach if next season doesn't start well.

2. Duchene/Turris - if you really can sign Duchene, do it, and swap Turris anywhere for whatever.

3. Defense - I wouldn't take it as a MUST that we change up the D. Could Subban or Ellis be dismissed for their poor seasons? Maybe. I would at least "listen to offers". I still want to know Subban's long-term health outlook. But there isn't a whole lot we need, and that D group was a big part of why we were touted as contenders just 6 months ago. I think it's downright silly to believe that Fabbro could step into the top-4. Total nonsense. We're going to be very lucky if he can hold his own in the #6 slot. Hopefully we'll see him here next week so we can at least start to get a more realistic sense of where he's at. If we stand pat on D and just work Fabbro in slowly on the bottom pairing, I don't think that would necessarily be a bad call.

4. Rest of the lineup still looks pretty good to me... if we can sign Boyle, I'm all for that. In the Obs thread I noted if he's really happy and really showing leadership potential I could even consider adding a 3rd year of term to a new deal for him, which probably nobody else is going to match. $2.5M for 2-3 years should be a good bid anyway.

5. Goaltending --- somewhere back on the list I might want to see more of a shift to a 50/50 split starting next season. Saros didn't start as well this year, and Rinne was coming off the Vezina, so ok, it didn't happen this year. But next year.

Basically I'm ok with coaching being the focus of the next phase of tinkering. Then it's summer 2020 before I get all crazy with the player personnel changes.

Reactions: Bozo Nicholson

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I'm interested in what sorts of players people think we would get out of trading Subban (or Ellis). Not knocking the idea, because moving one probably makes sense long term with the expansion draft anyways, but I'm wondering what people would want to get to make it a worthwhile trade.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Paying Duchene $10 million/year would be a terrible mistake, he is not going to keep up his current pace.

I'd give him Joey's contract but even that makes me uncomfortable due to age.

He's one of those guys you almost have to sign if he wants to sign with your team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad