Proposal: If you were David Poile what do you do in the off-season? Just for fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pr0fet

Jun 13, 2015
What about going all bananas and moving one of Josi or Subban up on the wing? We could use a bit more size and strength Up there.

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
The things that come out at me as the team's glaring deficiencies is the second line putting the puck in the net consistently and the power play. Losing Neal in that role has kind of come home to roost and it seems we need a player that wants to score goals with a can-do swagger rather than being the selfless teammate.

I'd find a way to get Muse off the bench and get Housley back to run the power play and defense again, if only to get back in the circles to be considered for a head coaching position elsewhere again. Muse just seems too much like a guy that has lots of ideas that can paralyze you when the situation requires simplicity and hearing Forsberg talking about 'having fun again' might be code for people overthinking things too much.

The only guy that is a UFA that would seem to fit the 2nd line scorer role would be Jeff Skinner. Duchesne would be nice but if they make a real run in C-Bus, I'm not sure if he'd want to leave that. Eberle also could be a nice option with Turris and Granlund. Any of those options to me could make that line a 1b instead of a 2nd line honestly. But the real overriding need is to find someone that puts the biscuit in/on the basket more instead of passing the puck looking for the perfect lane.

Beyond that, you do have to move a defenseman for the upcoming Expansion Draft and you have to get the best return on either Subban or Ellis to not risk losing a valuable piece for nothing again like Nealer. My guess is that Poile will set it up so that Turris will be left exposed as the best piece Seattle can get from us and make him prove he's worth the contract he's getting. So with that logic, I'd be hesitant to think either will bring back a ton of developed value and could see Poile trading one of them for a high draft pick plus prospects that are protected and re-stocks the farm that's about to be further diluted by Seattle.

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
This is the career of David Poile. Get close to being a cup contender, and totally **** the bed.

The core is in their prime or past it. They dont have what it takes to be a cup contender. We blew our farm the last couple of years to bring in the wrong people. We have one of the worst farms in the NHL. There is little hope of getting better with the players we have (on and off the roster).

We're in purgatory and I see no road out.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
The PP falls squarely on the coaching staff. Dead horse there.

Assessing individuals gets a lot more complicated. Looking at things such as goals or points per game or per 60 mins reveals things that don't necessarily fit the rants here. Pretty much nobody outside of JOFA, the goalies, or Josi/Ekholm is safe from getting dealt but what moves happen requires careful consideration.

The player with the best G/60 in the league among players with at least ten games just went scoreless in six playoff games while the bottom six version of him was our goal leader in the postseason. It defies logic but such was our first round exit.

Reactions: Bent Radar

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
Stralman is a 32-year-old UFA so he may not stick around for much longer, and their defense kind of fell apart in short order.

Strals got hurt and was out; he is still an excellent blue-liner - watch clips of him nailing people mid-ice, stopping any sort of penetration into the zone; he's smart, tough, sort of like a brick-poop-house; will be sad to see him go...

Stammer is going nowhere. Off Tampa, the people I'd see as a fit:

Cobie for 3rd line D (he got @#$ on by Cooper and being paired with Garrison, now in the Euro league or something, and Sustr, now in AHL); when he's paired with decent, he does really well; think he was always covering for some dumb play by Sustr/Garrison/Serge (who just needs more ice time)

Stralman - see above

Cally - he is not a UFA and his salary is big but he is fiery... thinking he ends up in DET with Yzerman but could also see him back with Boyle (presuming Boyle stays; crossing fingers - I like ya'll)

Those would be the people I'd be looking to add, subtracting what I needed to:

Neal - you know him, I like how he plays

Trouba - fiesty little bugger, not happy in Winterpeg

Laine - he should be scoring not worried about being parented (he stopped being a threat, it seems, shortly after he was told he couldn't play Fortnite - I mean, I get gaming can be addictive - I used to play WoW - BUT if it wasn't affecting his on-ice production, wth cares?)

Hagelin - fight, plays hard, never quits

Kessel - love this guy's fire and his ability to shoot the puck and score

M. Jo - same as Kessel

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
This is the career of David Poile. Get close to being a cup contender, and totally **** the bed.

The core is in their prime or past it. They dont have what it takes to be a cup contender. We blew our farm the last couple of years to bring in the wrong people. We have one of the worst farms in the NHL. There is little hope of getting better with the players we have (on and off the roster).

We're in purgatory and I see no road out.

Say what? Jeez, this is a sky is falling negative take on things.

In 2017, Poile probably has a cup if not for a freak injury to Ryan Johansen. Hardly shitting the bed.

In 2018 he had a presidents trophy winning roster that just didn't get it done in the second round. Not sure how that is shitting the bed by the GM, that would seem to fall on the players.

This year was certainly disappointing but I would argue that a lot of the issues are fixable with a coaching change. The farm is a bit bare but Tolvanen and especially Fabbro should be taking roster spots soon. Poile still has his first for this season as well. Also, since Poile hasn't handed out NMCs like candy, he can move a few of the vets for younger assets or picks if he chooses.

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
In my fantasy world, here's your 2019-2020 Nashville Predators.

Preds summer moves - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Free Agent Signings

RFAYEARSCAP HIT
Grimaldi, Rocco2$1,000,000
Sissons, Colton3$1,800,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
Boyle, Brian2$2,500,000
Lee, Anders5$6,000,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Trades

NSH

1. Draisaitl, Leon
EDM

1. Ellis, Ryan
  2. Arvidsson, Viktor
NSH

1. Gostisbehere, Shayne
  2. Voracek, Jakub
PHI

1. Subban, P.K.
  2. Turris, Kyle
  3. 2020 2nd round pick (NSH)
Left WingCenterRight Wing
nashville_predators.svg

Forsberg, Filip
$6,000,000
LW
UFA - 3
edmonton_oilers.svg

Draisaitl, Leon
$8,500,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 6
philadelphia_flyers.svg

Voracek, Jakub
$8,250,000
RW
UFA - 5
Lee, Anders
$6,000,000
LW, C
UFA
nashville_predators.svg

Johansen, Ryan
$8,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 6
nashville_predators.svg

Granlund, Mikael
$5,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
nashville_predators.svg

Tolvanen, Eeli
$894,166
LW
RFA - 2
nashville_predators.svg

Sissons, Colton
$1,800,000
RW, C
RFA
nashville_predators.svg

Smith, Craig
$4,250,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
nashville_predators.svg

Boyle, Brian
$2,500,000
LW, C
UFA
nashville_predators.svg

Bonino, Nick
$4,100,000
C
UFA - 2
nashville_predators.svg

Watson, Austin
$1,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
nashville_predators.svg

Järnkrok, Calle
$2,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 3
nashville_predators.svg

Grimaldi, Rocco
$1,000,000
RW
RFA
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
nashville_predators.svg

Josi, Roman
$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
philadelphia_flyers.svg

Gostisbehere, Shayne
$4,500,000
LD
UFA - 4
nashville_predators.svg

Rinne, Pekka
$5,000,000
G
NMC NTC
UFA - 2
nashville_predators.svg

Ekholm, Mattias
$3,750,000
LD
UFA - 3
nashville_predators.svg

Fabbro, Dante
$925,000
RD
RFA - 2
nashville_predators.svg

Saros, Juuse
$1,500,000
G
RFA - 2
nashville_predators.svg

Hamhuis, Dan
$1,250,000
LD
UFA - 1
nashville_predators.svg

Weber, Yannick
$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
nashville_predators.svg

Irwin, Matt
$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Jul 12, 2007
I want them to get Gostisbehere, just so Paul can play "Got To Be There" by Michael Jackson, and everybody can sing "Gostisbehere" to the tune.

I wish they would trade PP Soupcan to get back Pompous Ahole. Trade Cryin' Sohandsome, Roman Josi Wales, and Flipup Forcefield, too. We have too many funny names. But keep Steve Irwin and "The Wrong" Weber.

Jul 12, 2007
Seriously, 2017 run to the finals and 2018 prez trophy ..... not a lot to blame or complain on the coach or GM. Yes, they did fecalize the linens this year in round 1, but division champs anyway ...... we are actually on a pretty good run.

And Draisaitl ? Probably not, guy's a goal-machine stud for the next 10 years. Finally one of their endless top 3 picks became something, not gonna deal that away. Stamkos on the other hand, the TB fans are pretty sour on him. They may be looking for a deal for somebody else's big-name problem. Just like Subban - Weber. Maybe recycle PK for Stamkos, lol.

Jul 12, 2007
lol, we don't know anything today that we didn't know 10 years ago. At least this song is from when he was innocent.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Go to Edmonton and tell Katz, he is going to make money with or without McDavid then offer him any 4 roster players or picks he wants and say I am not leaving town without him!!

the reply:
Josi, Forsberg, Arvidsson, Fabbro

Still offering?

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
the reply:
Josi, Forsberg, Arvidsson, Fabbro

Still offering?

Honestly, what would that make the Preds look like next year? Pretty good still I'd say.

Smith - McDavid - Granlund
Tolvanen - Johansen - Grimaldi
Pitlick - Bonino - Jarnkrok
Boyle - Sissons - Watson

(Alternate bottom-6)
Sissons - Bonino - Jarnkrok
Gaudreau - Boyle - Watson

Ekholm - Subban
Hamhuis - Ellis
Irwin - Weber

And that's without signing anyone in free agency or making any secondary trades. Bringing in another winger and defenseman would do wonders for that lineup.

It doesn't look ideal on paper, but the presence of McDavid makes up for a lot of what's lost, and he would be supported with much better depth scoring than he's ever had.

Obviously that trade wouldn't happen, but I don't think it would ruin the Preds by any means.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
Say what? Jeez, this is a sky is falling negative take on things.
The sky doesn't fall in purgatory; the sky falls in hell.

In terms of blaming Poile's postseason failures on coaching, he's ultimately in charge of coaching too. In terms of guaranteeing a cup without injuries, that's a completely unprovable statement, and PIT had major injuries as well.

His moves to 'get over the top' have been utter failures the last two years.

Poile can't get to the top... 37 years is enough sample size.

Poile's rosters ultimately end up in purgatory.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Heres what needs to been done if I'm poile.
Fire lavy and his whole terrible staff.
Hire a talented young coach(Keefe, Knoblauch) or even Gronborg

Sign Duchene
Sign Grimaldi
Sign sisson
Trade turris
Trade Ellis for Larsson and Yamamoto
Listen to offers for subban maybe subban retain 1 million for nylander Liljegren 2020 pick 1st or 2nd

Forsberg Duchene Granlund
Arvi Johansen nylander
Tolvanen jarnkrok Grimaldi
Watson bones Sissons

Josi fabbro
Ekholm Larsson
Hammer Liljegren

Rinne
Saros

Gronborg would be a really good coach I think for this team especially having 7 Swedes now lol

Reactions: predwings

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
In my fantasy world we manage to:
1) Sign Duchene who agrees to a 1A/1B situation
2) Trade Subban and Turris for futures and a veteran RD with 1-2 years left who could start on 1st pair with Josi and eventually be replaced by Fabbro or someone who would play 3rd pair and stunt at top4 if needed.*
3) Coaching adjustments. I don't know what in it doesn't work, so I'm not gonna go any further on what needs to be done, but I agree with you many saying that something needs to be done in that department.

JOFA
Granlund - Duchene - Tolvanen**
Grimaldi - Bonino - Smith**
Jarnkrok - Sissons - Watson

(Salty/Magwood/Pitlick/Trenin etc etc)

Josi - Fabbro*
Ekholm - Ellis
Hamhuis - Demers/Golikoski/Bogosian/Greene/Hamonic/Stone/Miller/Larsson*

(Weber/Irwin...)

Rinne
Saros

* Another option is to move Turris to wing for a Turris - Duchene - Granlund line, but do we have to move Bonino or Smith to make it work?
**Hopefully Tolvanen has developed enough to belong to that 2nd line. Having Smith who is strong on board battles isn't a bad option with Duchene and Granlund on 2nd line either.

I believe that familiarity and fellowship brings more out of the players, so with only few changes we have replenished our future with picks and prospects, upgraded our 2nd line and while our defense has taken a step back on paper, we can afford it for how good it has been and considering the benefits on other areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad