Proposal: If you were David Poile what do you do in the off-season? Just for fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Safe:
Rinne
Josi
Fabbro
Subban
Johansen
Arvidsson
Saros
Forsberg

Fire all the rest into the league for the best returns and pick packs you can get

Maybe keep some of Ekholm , Sissons, Ellis Grimaldi to expose to Seattle

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Someone said it in an earlier thread, but it feels like every new player that comes here gets worse. To me that's a coaching problem and I'm leaning towards a coaching change if things hold up.

The PP has been worst in the league and we don't try anything new. Grimaldi, Rinne(aside from last night) and Subban are pretty much the only players playing well and we don't try breaking up the lines to make a change.

I think Lavy's lost the room, and if he hasn't then he's not doing his best to lead the team to a cup.

Prediculous

May 11, 2018
Redding, CA
I'd start with a coaching change and go from there. DP has to realize that any forward he brings in right now will not produce at the level they did before they came to the team. Have we had ONE forward have a better season here then he had on a previous team? Whatever system Lavi runs has been figured out, or they're not given enough freedom to run a proper offense.

-Get a detailed orientated coach that can make adjustments

-Trade Ellis while he still has value (I'd like a more defensive orientated defenseman to replace him to go along with Josi)

- Get rid of Kayla Turris, hes soft as butter and cant be counted on. What happens if we leave him exposed? Does Seattle grab him and get that contract?

Evaluate from here, and see what the team looks like.

Reactions: Lateralous

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Someone said it in an earlier thread, but it feels like every new player that comes here gets worse. To me that's a coaching problem and I'm leaning towards a coaching change if things hold up.

The PP has been worst in the league and we don't try anything new. Grimaldi, Rinne(aside from last night) and Subban are pretty much the only players playing well and we don't try breaking up the lines to make a change.

I think Lavy's lost the room, and if he hasn't then he's not doing his best to lead the team to a cup.

This. It can't be a coincidence anymore.

Turris and/or Ellis should be considered to be moved. I wouldn't touch the rest of roster.

Reactions: Lateralous

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
From what I've seen if you want to shut our offense down then just move the puck out quickly and don't turn it over. That kills 90% of it.

Dont even need to do anything with it. Also block the walls off and you can stay in our zone forever, it's all we know how to do.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I was watching Boston on the PP. They had a forward in the top half of each circle and two more down low on either side of the net rotating around with Krug kind of along the middle of the blue line. It allowed for a lot of passes behind the net and across the slot, creating plenty of scoring opportunities.

It was very effective, and i don't see why Josi and Subban couldn't play the role that Krug was playing and allow four forwards to work down lower. Instead we stick to just playing catch between the half wall and blue line before inevitably having the puck poked out of the zone.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
This. It can't be a coincidence anymore.

Turris and/or Ellis should be considered to be moved. I wouldn't touch the rest of roster.

Exactly. A coincidence would be Turris and Subban sucking this year, it happens and it sucks but that's the way it goes. There's something going on if we bring in Granlund, who's supposed to be a legitimate top line guy, and he immediately falls off the earth along with Ekholm, Ellis and half the forward group.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Poile has to seriously consider about getting rid of lavy and co if we lose this series. Dallas should be up 3-1 maybe even a sweep. Its so lucky were still in this series because Dallas has clearly been the better team. So yea get rid of the coaches.

Next you have to try hard at getting a better center via trading Ellis or subban or Duchene would be more ideal. A 2nd line center or even better making joey the 2nd line center would be great. Dont know if its just getting swept but I'm hearing stamkos name. They do need to dump some salary and get better defensively so that would be awesome. Id even do another captain for captain swap if they didn't have hedman on the left side already.

As soon as you acquire a center you dump turris. Tell a team that turris had a bad year because of injury( which might be true) or sell him low if need be.

If you got Duchene and didn't have to trade Ellis or subban you do that now. Subban I think has a high value but I fear Ellis contract more than subban. I don't know what for though

Line-up next year
Forsberg joey Arvi
Tolvanen Duchene Granlund
Watson bones smith
Grimaldi jarnkrok Sissons

Josi fabbro
Ekholm Subban
Hammer top rhd in mil

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Just putting this out there.

I am also thinking the Poile needs to consider retirement. His deadline day deals have not panned out again. Gave Turris too much money. I feel like our hockey ops have gotten stale. We need better scouting. Maybe a fresh approach to drafting and developing talent . I do not want Poile's son taking over.

I am hoping the ownership group has gotten savvier over the years and understands more about running a successful franchise. Some changes are due.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Just putting this out there.

I am also thinking the Poile needs to consider retirement. His deadline day deals have not panned out again. Gave Turris too much money. I feel like our hockey ops have gotten stale. We need better scouting. Maybe a fresh approach to drafting and developing talent . I do not want Poile's son taking over.

I am hoping the ownership group has gotten savvier over the years and understands more about running a successful franchise. Some changes are due.

In regards to the deadline deals, at least this year's, I don't think there's anything wrong with the moves he made, in theory. Granlund SHOULD be better than Fiala in every way except for age, Boyle is good on the pk, face-offs and this year he was stellar on the PP but is out, Simmonds' play worsened this year but the thinking was that if could just screen goalies on the PP.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Consistent 20-goal scorers that has a pretty predictable compete level? You're making me sad.
I think an overhaul is due. We've been piecemealing this thing for a generation. Hand Lavy the reins if he jettisons the assistants and gets some solid names behind the bench to build his dream team. His window is closing too so you know he wants another cup

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Can we sign Zuccarello? Give him Turris' contract and trade Turris to anywhere for a half-eaten donut?

That doesn't solve 2C, but if Duchesne isn't coming, Granlund...?

Then I still like the idea of the Adam Larsson + prospect trade for Ryan Ellis. Gives us a bigger and more mobile stay-at-home RD to play with Josi and balance up our pairings better.

EDIT: Just ran this roster on CapFriendly and it would still leave us with ~$7M on an $83M cap, so it's not like the 2C quest would have to die... it's almost within spitting distance of being able to chase a Granlund-Duchene-Zuccarello line.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeauxPreds1

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Dont know if its just getting swept but I'm hearing stamkos name. They do need to dump some salary and get better defensively so that would be awesome.

An idea I played around with a few days ago after I saw someone suggest Subban for Stamkos trade on the trade boards;

1. Subban 1-for-1 for Stamkos
2. Trade Turris or Bonino
3. Sign Duchene if he doesn't want to stay in Columbus
4. Go with a lineup of

Forsberg-Stamkos-Smith
Sissons-Johansen-Arvidsson
Tolvanen-Duchene-Granlund
Jarnkrok-Turris/Bonino-Watson

5. ????
6. Profit (?)

how's that for center depth :sarcasm:

the idea would be to have 3 scoring lines with a pair (Forsberg-Stamkos, Johansen-Arvidsson, Duchene-Granlund) in each line that could carry the 3rd forward. If Duchene signed for 8-8.5 million and we kept Turris, we would be right up against the cap if it rises to the 83 million that it currently projects to. If we kept Bonino instead, we could trade Jarnkrok for a guy like Rust to play on that 4th line with Bones and Watson. And if Tolvanen ain't ready, replace him with Pitlick.

and for what it's worth, I'm still against trading Subban. It's just that it would have to be him for all that to work cap wise.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Best case scenario is for PK to continue to have a great playoffs. I'm ok with trading the guy, I'll miss him of course, but he can return some very nice value and free up some cap space. He's not getting any younger.

Caveat: I'm opposed to the constant over usage of "free up cap space" so need to clarify something. The only value in freeing up cap space, unless you're writing the paycheck, is to actually do something with that cap space. If trading Subban doesn't improve the roster then forget it.

Reactions: bdub24

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Why not trade Ellis instead of Subban? Both are worst of our top-4 in the regular season but Subban alway brings it in the postseason whereas Ellis has taken the two last playoffs off.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Sign Duchene and trade Turris. We will need to move one of Ellis or Suban before the expansion draft so this offseason may be the best bet in order to get the most out of the trade. Either trade one of them or plan to expose and lose one of them in the expansion draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad