If the Leafs miss the playoffs, does Dubas keep his job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
I guess that's where the people debating with you disagree.

- We value Johnsson more than a late 1st rounder (I.e around the 22nd pick).
- We don't think Marleau drives possession nor is he a good top-9 LW anymore.

Giving away a 20 goal scorer instead of a mid round to late 1st round pick seems pretty hilarious.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Matthews is a better player than Eichel. He plays heavier, and can be more physically dominant, especially with puck possession along the walls. The only other star young player close to AM is Draisatl, and he’s not (really) a center.
Good one Lucky, good one. Best laugh of today! :biglaugh:

I'm sure he probably weighs more than Eichell, but thats the extent of him playing heavier!

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Let's remember before Dubas took over some of Lou Lamoriello horrible moves. Signing Patrick Marleau to a 3 year contract of $6.25 million when he was over 35 years old, giving Nikita Zaitsev a 7 year extension after playing 1 year in the NHL and trading for Tomas Plekanec.
All GMs have past GM moves to deal with. You make it sound like he's the only new GM to ever experience such a thing. These players you speak of......on a team that set a f***ing franchise record in points! How bad could they have been really? He replaced them and we're worse. So....

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I added to my last post but here: Remember that we only had Hyman and Marleau at LW at that time. That's terrible depth. The bet on Engvall and Mikheyev has paid off huge, so I'm open to moving Johnsson as well. It would have looked real bad if we moved Johnsson and had only Marleau confirmed at LW (Hyman was injured for the first month of the season).

Also, I really doubt Carolina wanted another winger. They're stacked with wingers and defensemen.
I agree that they didn’t have a good handle on Engvall and Mikheyev.
Not sure about Carolina wanted. Can always involve another team if that’s the case.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
All GMs have past GM moves to deal with. You make it sound like he's the only new GM to ever experience such a thing. These players you speak of......on a team that set a ****ing franchise record in points! How bad could they have been really?
Do you honestly believe that Tomas Plekanec's 0 Goals and 2 assists in 17 regular season games with Toronto had any impact to the Leafs getting 105 points in 2018? It was a bad trade by Lou and a waste of a 2nd round pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: stopclickbait

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It's also easy to say after the fact and with hindsight based on Johnsson season so far that Dubas should have traded him instead of their 1st round pick.
I preferred Johnsson at the time.
It’s more keeping the 1st then move Johnsson, he’s just an example.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
All GMs have past GM moves to deal with. You make it sound like he's the only new GM to ever experience such a thing. These players you speak of......on a team that set a ****ing franchise record in points! How bad could they have been really? He replaced them and we're worse. So....
Points in regular season is the bar apparently.
Dude you complain about hainsey and a fn backup goalie and pointz! And only show up when losing

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Do you honestly believe that Tomas Plekanec and his 0 Goals and 2 assists in 17 regular season games with Toronto had any impact to the Leafs getting 105 points in 2018? It was a bad trade by Lou and a waste of a 2nd round pick.
You left out a couple of names there. He had 2 goals and 2 assists with a +1 in the Boston series. Far from our biggest issue. For comparison. Willy was 1 goal 3 assists -4. AM had 1 goal 1 assist -4.

But plek was our problem? No. Not the greatest trade but it was for some veteran presence in the playoffs. Dubas lets our veterans go for nothing with disatrous results. See McBackup. See Hainsey. Lets hope the Marleau pick doesn't make it a trifecta of fail.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Dude you complain about hainsey and a fn backup goalie and pointz! And only show up when losing
Last season when the Leafs got 100 points they were one game away from eliminating the Bruins since they were up 3-2 going into Game 6 and leading 1-0 in the 1st period. So if it wasn't for Babcock's questionable decisions that's something which would have happened and Kyle Dubas was their GM last year.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Read that out loud to yourself. You do realize that points are what they play for yeah? lirl. How else should we quantify if a team is better or worse then? Zone entries? stats that 'predict' the future? Ignore the cold hard facts so that you can speculate?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You left out a couple of names there. He had 2 goals and 2 assists with a +1 in the Boston series. Far from our biggest issue. For comparison. Willy was 1 goal 3 assists -4. AM had 1 goal 1 assist -4.

But plek was our problem? No. Not the greatest trade but it was for some veteran presence in the playoffs. Dubas lets our veterans go for nothing with disatrous results. See McBackup. See Hainsey. Lets hope the Marleau pick doesn't make it a trifecta of fail.
One of his 2 goals in the playoffs was into an empty net so that just made his stat line look better. Plus if it wasn't for Kadri being suspended we would have never seen Plekanec take his spot and play more minutes.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
One of his 2 goals in the playoffs was into an empty net so that just made his stat line look better. Plus if it wasn't for Kadri being suspended we would have never seen Plekanec take his spot and play more minutes.
But he did play the minutes. ANd outproduced both AM and Willy. So clearly not the issue that series

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Worth pointing out that while the '17-'18 Leafs hold the franchise points record in a single season, the '18-'19 Leafs had more regulation and OT wins (4 more). The '17-'18 squad benefitted from 7 shoot out wins.
It also wasn't until the Leafs 78th game last season that they played in their first shootout against the Flyers which they lost. Their only other shootout happened in their 82nd game against Montreal which they also lost.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I guess that's where the people debating with you disagree.

- We value Johnsson more than a late 1st rounder (I.e around the 22nd pick).
- We don't think Marleau drives possession nor is he a good top-9 LW anymore.

Edit:
Just to add to this: This was in the summer, before the bets on Engvall and Mikheyev being legitmate middle-6 wingers paid off. Now that we know for a fact we have Hyman, Engvall, Mikheyev at LW, I'm open to moving Johnsson.

Around the 22nd pick? Where'd you get that number from? Last I checked, the Canes are in line to receive 18th pick.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
It also wasn't until the Leafs 78th game last season that they played in their first shootout against the Flyers which they lost. Their only other shootout happened in their 82nd game against Montreal which they also lost.
Man do I remember that game. Damn shootout.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Bottom line is we're 7 11 points off last year's pace and out of a playoff spot. And looking shaky.

It is COMPLETELY logical to question that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad