If the Leafs miss the playoffs, does Dubas keep his job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I was referring to the series against the Bruins in 2018 when Marner had 2 Goals, 7 Assists, 9 Points in the seven games played.

In Game 6 that year Marner himself had a goal and assist.

Sorry man I thought you were talking about last year. I edited my original post and completely agree with you in that he was the driving force that got us to Game 7

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Sorry man I thought you were talking about last year. I edited my original post and completely agree with you in that he was the driving force that got us to Game 7
That's okay and I thought you would have seen where I said how the Leafs forced a Game 7 since they were originally down 3-1 in 2018, where as last year they had a 3-2 series lead going into Game 6 which they lost and it forced a Game 7. Either way don't worry about it and all is good from me.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Fair enough, but I just realized, in our current position the Canes are in line to pick 12-13, not 18, since we're not in a playoff spot and they'd be in the lottery.

What a trade lol

But you know that's not going to happen lol, there's no point in talking about that.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
lol indeed. What makes you think that?

Andersen is not going to continue to play worse than Hutchinson like he has during his 4-5 game slump.

Muzzin, our best D-man, is also back.

We're more likely to return to our normal pace under Keefe than to continue a bad slump, given that all our underlying numbers have been good (including high-danger shots against) other than goaltending.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Andersen is not going to continue to play worse than Hutchinson like he has during his 4-5 game slump.

Muzzin, our best D-man, is also back.

We're more likely to return to our normal pace under Keefe than to continue a bad slump, given that all our underlying numbers have been good (including high-danger shots against) other than goaltending.

After reading all that, I don’t see anything that concretely guarantees with 100% certainty that the Leafs will make the playoffs. Otherwise there would already be an x next to our team in the NHL standings

You get my point. I don’t share your optimism but we’ll see what happens

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
After reading all that, I don’t see anything that concretely guarantees with 100% certainty that the Leafs will make the playoffs. Otherwise there would already be an x next to our team in the NHL standings

You get my point. I don’t share your optimism but we’ll see what happens

With Andersen playing like a normal starting goalie, we played at a 110 point pace under Keefe. With Andersen playing worse than Hutchinson, we played at a non-playoff team rate for 4-5 games.

It's not even being optimistic IMO, it's just hoping for the normal to happen lol. We'll see how the next stretch of games go I guess. We'll see again in a month ;)

Reactions: stopclickbait

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
With Andersen playing like a normal starting goalie, we played at a 110 point pace under Keefe. With Andersen playing worse than Hutchinson, we played at a non-playoff team rate for 4-5 games.

It's not even being optimistic IMO, it's just hoping for the normal to happen lol. We'll see how the next stretch of games go I guess. We'll see again in a month ;)

I think you're greatly oversimplifying things. It's not always so black and white, especially with a sport like hockey. We'll see though and hope for the best.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Fair enough, but I just realized, in our current position the Canes are in line to pick 12-13, not 18, since we're not in a playoff spot and they'd be in the lottery.

What a trade lol

If the Canes get a top 15 pick due to KD's poor trading ability, added on that we miss the playoffs, IMO, he should be fired.

Why would you give a guy another year to dig our team into an even deeper hole?

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If the Canes get a top 15 pick due to KD's poor trading ability, added on that we miss the playoffs, IMO, he should be fired.

Why would you give a guy another year to dig our team into an even deeper hole?
If Toronto misses the playoffs I rather see Carolina get their pick in that part of the draft, instead of having the Leafs 1st round pick in 2021 when it's not conditional.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013

so when Andy was bad at the start of the season it was Babcock though? I like Keefe so far. It's the personnel that's the problem. You know what happens when your d gets worse? Your goaltending does as well. Cause and effect.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Bottom line is we're 7 11 points off last year's pace and out of a playoff spot. And looking shaky.

It is COMPLETELY logical to question that.

I would agree.

Dubas practically has the team he envisioned playing the style he believes will take them to the cup. Granted, yes, the roster can always be tweaked and improved. That being said I'm not entirely convinced by it so far. Fun to watch at times but when they're off it's almost unwatchable. Goaltending needs to be better too though and should improve. So there is a lot that remains to be seen.

Falling out of the playoffs this season will start to put pressure on Dubas but he'll keep his job through next season at the very least.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I have said Lou did some good things like trading Dion Phaneuf without having to retain any of his salary.

As for the contract extensions he gave Rielly and Kadri it's not like they had any negotiating power to demand more money based on their seasons at the time, the way Marner was coming off a 94 point season in the last year of his ELC.
love Marner but he signed way above any comparable contract and the guys who were waiting for him to bend the Dube over and reset the bar much higher were all told by there GM's that just because one fool decides to blow his brains out doesn't mean they will as well and got there guys signed well below MM's deal

Dubas crated a snowball affect when he signed JT which his deal the min M&M would sign for .

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
so when Andy was bad at the start of the season it was Babcock though? I like Keefe so far. It's the personnel that's the problem. You know what happens when your d gets worse? Your goaltending does as well. Cause and effect.

1) No one blamed Babcock for Andersen's poor games to start the season. People blamed Babcock for his restraint on the team from playing the way they were designed to play.

2) The D has gotten worse due to Muzzin and Rielly getting injured, but that is not the main reason at all for our recent slump.

Since Jan 5th (when we started our losing slump of 1-3-2 record):
- High-danger chances against = 20th in the league (However under Keefe overall since Nov 20th, we've been 12th best)
- SV% = 31st in the league (i.e worst in the league)

Patience guys. I preached this before Keefe arrived, and I'm saying this now again lol. A record of 1-3-2 in our last 6 games is concerning, but patience folks.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I would agree.

Dubas practically has the team he envisioned playing the style he believes will take them to the cup. Granted, yes, the roster can always be tweaked and improved. That being said I'm not entirely convinced by it so far. Fun to watch at times but when they're off it's almost unwatchable. Goaltending needs to be better too though and should improve. So there is a lot that remains to be seen.

Falling out of the playoffs this season will start to put pressure on Dubas but he'll keep his job through next season at the very least.

That makes me so sad. But let's get there first. Dubas knows not making the playoffs is at least 1 foot in the grave. So I'm expecting him to make some moves.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Leafs D is below average to start with. Taking the only good defensive D out of it makes it easily the worst in league.

Leafs would do much better if they had even 100 year old Ron Hainsey back there. Excel sheet warriors would panic, but he was a lot better at front of the net than 5/6 current D.

Leafs need someone mean back there.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Leafs D is below average to start with. Taking the only good defensive D out of it makes it easily the worst in league.

Leafs would do much better if they had even 100 year old Ron Hainsey back there. Excel sheet warriors would panic, but he was a lot better at front of the net than 5/6 current D.

Leafs need someone mean back there.

Leafs allowed a ton of high-danger quality chances against last year with Hainsey on the ice, compared to the rest of the League and the rest of the Leafs. Hainsey is not the solution.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
1) No one blamed Babcock for Andersen's poor games to start the season. People blamed Babcock for his restraint on the team from playing the way they were designed to play.

2) The D has gotten worse due to Muzzin and Rielly getting injured, but that is not the main reason at all for our recent slump.

Since Jan 5th (when we started our losing slump of 1-3-2 record):
- High-danger chances against = 20th in the league (However under Keefe overall since Nov 20th, we've been 12th best)
- SV% = 31st in the league (i.e worst in the league)

Patience guys. I preached this before Keefe arrived, and I'm saying this now again lol. A record of 1-3-2 in our last 6 games is concerning, but patience folks.

When I heard Babcock say Barrie needed to reinvent himself I was done with him. So I agree with you there. And I gave Kyle credit for making the necessary move. I thought he would use him as a shield fro the season. I was wrong so credit where due. No. Muzzin I can agree with. Reily not so much. He's been trash from day 1 this season. Letting Hainsey walk was silly. Barrie and Ceci are downgrades on Gards and Zaitsev. Gard needed to go. 2 years too late actually. ANd the Zaitsev situation was always odd to me. I don't get how you go from signing a 7 year deal to asking out a year into new management. It doesn't add up. But I digress.......Barrie was never the D man we needed. And he's gone after this season. So we traded Kadri for Kerfoot. That's real bad.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
That makes me so sad. But let's get there first. Dubas knows not making the playoffs is at least 1 foot in the grave. So I'm expecting him to make some moves.

Well keep in mind that there was expected turnover, and possible regression, with the blue line after last season which is really the team's downfall this season .. Earlier in the year, under Babcock, the offense was stifled, but that's at least corrected under Keefe.

I want to see what this roster looks like when Sandin and Liljegren make the jump. I'm also curious to see what other roster moves Dubas makes.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
When I heard Babcock say Barrie needed to reinvent himself I was done with him. So I agree with you there. And I gave Kyle credit for making the necessary move. I thought he would use him as a shield fro the season. I was wrong so credit where due. No. Muzzin I can agree with. Reily not so much. He's been trash from day 1 this season. Letting Hainsey walk was silly. Barrie and Ceci are downgrades on Gards and Zaitsev. Gard needed to go. 2 years too late actually. ANd the Zaitsev situation was always odd to me. I don't get how you go from signing a 7 year deal to asking out a year into new management. It doesn't add up. But I digress.......Barrie was never the D man we needed. And he's gone after this season. So we traded Kadri for Kerfoot. That's real bad.

Given the stories that have come out against Babcock I wouldn't be shocked if something happened with Zaitesv, either directly or indirectly. It's entirely possible Zaitsev just wanted a contract with term so that even if he was dealt he had some security for the long haul with some control over his destination.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Given the stories that have come out against Babcock I wouldn't be shocked if something happened with Zaitesv, either directly or indirectly. It's entirely possible Zaitsev just wanted a contract with term so that even if he was dealt he had some security for the long haul with some control over his destination.
And then baby mama drama this year. So lose lose. One of the reasons I was worried about Ceci is because he's being litigated hard in civil court. Can be pretty damn consuming.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA

Yeah I’m going with the he saw a 7 year contract on the table way above his pay grade and signed immediately viewpoint here. Don’t think he ever really cared about Toronto when he signed that

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah I’m going with the he saw a 7 year contract on the table way above his pay grade and signed immediately viewpoint here. Don’t think he ever really cared about Toronto when he signed that
From what I remember when it was first known that Zaitsev wanted to be traded is because of the pressure of playing in a market like Toronto. I also remember hearing that he hated those negative comments from Don Cherry so I don't know how much stock you put into that. I'm also looking on CapFriendly right now and it says that his modified NTC did not start until this year his contract, so who knows if he would have wanted to be traded to Ottawa given that it's still another Hockey market in Canada.

FireBabcock

Apr 21, 2019
From what I remember when it was first known that Zaitsev wanted to be traded is because of the pressure of playing in a market like Toronto. I also remember hearing that he hated those negative comments from Don Cherry so I don't know how much stock you put into that. I'm also looking on CapFriendly right now and it says that his modified NTC did not start until this year his contract, so who knows if he would have wanted to be traded to Ottawa given that it's still another Hockey market in Canada.
If you translate his interviews with russian outlets he basically says the brown nosing to the coach (babs) disgusts him and hates that brownnosing is the only way to ensure icetime. He finds no accountability for players based on anything except favourites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad