If the Leafs miss the playoffs, does Dubas keep his job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Actually, he's using a stat mostly influenced by goaltending to describe how the team of skaters is defensively, and as expected, he came to the wrong conclusion.

Of course he did, imagine thinking a team that gives up the fewest goals in the NHL may be good defensively. Next he'll be trying to delude us into thinking St. Louis was a good team last year because they won the Stanley Cup.

Ludicrous.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Of course he did, imagine thinking a team that gives up the fewest goals in the NHL may be good defensively.
Imagine thinking that you can just ignore an entire set of data and measures of this exact thing, and instead exclusively use one other stat in an incorrect way.

Reactions: stopclickbait

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
ofcourse, but what if Andersen plays like he is playing the rest of the season. That’s something GM can’t control, bc Dubas is not counting Andersen to have a breakout season, he was counting him to have his normal season

Andersen was 91,4%, 91,9%, 91,8%, 91,8%, 91,7% the last 5 seasons before this one

He is 90,9% this season. A breakout season???

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You must work in the analytics department for MLSE the way you're so invested in these stats.
No, I don't work in the analytics department for MLSE. Using the correct stats/information for what you are trying to evaluate is important no matter what you do, and these stats aren't all that complicated or difficult to understand if you're not purposefully ignoring them.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
No, I don't work in the analytics department for MLSE. Using the correct stats/information for what you are trying to evaluate is important no matter what you do, and these stats aren't all that complicated or difficult to understand if you're not purposefully ignoring them.

I ignore them because they are useless. They have very tangential predictive ability at best that shows no strong correlation to on ice results. Until that happens, I don't care about these types of stats.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
tellermine said:
No one knew Babcock would be that bad.
There were a lot of Leafs fans calling for Babcock to be fired after last years playoffs, so it was something building that was about to happen with him. I'm also sure the players didn't like what he did to Jason Spezza considering all the years he has been in the NHL.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
how much of a role do you think using analytics has played in the Leafs underperforming this year?

No idea. Not really in tune but I am sure the numbers do paint a picture of players and teams. Leafs are heavily into analytics yet we are out of a playoff spot. Scary to think where we would be without the analytics.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
No idea. Not really in tune but I am sure the numbers do paint a picture of players and teams. Leafs are heavily into analytics yet we are out of a playoff spot. Scary to think where we would be without the analytics.

Well yeah, it's very difficult to have an organization use analytics when the coach who's supposed to implement it isn't aligned with it.

It'd be like having all the research and evidence of climate change existing and then having a President not believe in it (Just an example).

Reactions: LeafsNation75

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
well as Dubas said, it's the sort of thing where everyone has to be on board. Babcock wasn't, and was in some sort of weird struggle to try to do things his own way. Luckily he lost and things should be better now that there's an organizational buy in

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Well yeah, it's very difficult to have an organization use analytics when the coach who's supposed to implement it isn't aligned with it.

It'd be like having all the research and evidence of climate change existing and then having a President not believe in it (Just an example).
All the more reason why Dubas should have been the go ahead to fire Babcock after last years playoffs.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
well as Dubas said, it's the sort of thing where everyone has to be on board. Babcock wasn't, and was in some sort of weird struggle to try to do things his own way. Luckily he lost and things should be better now that there's an organizational buy in
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Babcock say he would try and change, because I do remember Dubas saying he would need to do that.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Of course he did, imagine thinking a team that gives up the fewest goals in the NHL may be good defensively. Next he'll be trying to delude us into thinking St. Louis was a good team last year because they won the Stanley Cup.

Ludicrous.

Just because the blues won the cup doesn't mean they were the best team. :sarcasm:

Man I feel silly just saying that.

Reactions: egd27

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
An observation:

Some of these posters are a bigger fan of KD than they are of the leafs.

You can tell because when someone says they do not like KD or agree with his moves, they get flamed and told that they arent a leaf fan.

Mean while, these same KD fans were among the ones who hated babs the most.

So clearly you can hate someone on the team or in the organization, but it has to be the PC person.

Its baffling, really. I don't remember another time where a leaf gm has had such a cult following even though they have shown nothing but regression since taking over.
Just because I'm defending Dubas doesn't mean I'm a bigger fan of him compared to the Leafs and you are 100% wrong to make an assumption like that.

I'm just looking at things from a logical prospective like how he shouldn't get any blame over trading a 1st round pick to get rid of Marleau's contract, since he never signed him to 3 years and $6.25 million AAV.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
An observation:

Some of these posters are a bigger fan of KD than they are of the leafs.

You can tell because when someone says they do not like KD or agree with his moves, they get flamed and told that they arent a leaf fan.

Mean while, these same KD fans were among the ones who hated babs the most.

So clearly you can hate someone on the team or in the organization, but it has to be the PC person.

Its baffling, really. I don't remember another time where a leaf gm has had such a cult following even though they have shown nothing but regression since taking over.
Wtf ever most know and admit to his faults others go full anti Dubsd no matter what - over 38 year old dman and a journey back up
Never see you when the leafs are winning

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
You must work in the analytics department for MLSE the way you're so invested in these stats. Is it a if Kyle goes, I go type of situation for you?

You're giving way too much credit here.

All he's doing is peddling garbage blog stats, which are absolutely not what's used in the NHL in any way shape or form.

Even the individuals who invent the models acknowledge their very real shortcomings due to the bare-minimum amount of data that the NHL releases for public consumption.

Unfortunately in the arena of internet debate that all gets forgotten, and these very rudimentary models get used to make all sorts of ridiculous statements of fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad