If the Leafs miss the playoffs, does Dubas keep his job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
The opinion on Dubas is mixed on this form. Whatever your opinion of our GM is, the only objective judgement is the results on the ice. So a simple question, if the Leafs miss the playoffs this year, would you fire him or give him more time?

I think it's important to note that by packing a 1st with Marleau, trading for a pending UFA in Barrie, the management clearly thought this year was going to be quite competitive, but this has not been the case so far, even with a coaching change.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Dubas should not be fired. He held the position for a year and a half and has only had his coach for ~20 games. I'd give him a full season with Keefe before making any decisions on his fate. You also have to consider the injury bug that has plagued this team this season.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
The injuries dubas has held to deal with is something no other Leafs gm has had to deal with for a while. It’s a lame reason but it’s the truth. Combine missing Tavares, Marner. Johnsson, Mikheyev, Kerfoot, Muzzin, Hyman Dermott and Rielly for extended periods of time with Babcock for 20 games and it’s going to be tough to get in. The leafs underlying numbers are still strong, but they just can’t get a save right now. Unfortunately not much runway left now

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Now we know that coaching was not the problem

Under Keefe the Leafs are 16-7-3 or a 110 point pace... Even with the last 6 games being questionable they still managed a record of 1-3-2, 2 of which were losses in the SO and 3 were on goaltending that just didnt show up. They have also been without their best 2 D for that same span.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Yes, barring the unlikely circumstance that his entire time in the organization - and not just the time spent in his current role as GM - is being taken into consideration. Can debate some of his transactions, but currently being without the top two minute men on defence is particularly a tough thing to project and overcome. The ice becomes a bit thinner moving forward though with a playoff miss.

Reactions: The Podium

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
Dubas has already screwed the leafs with the cap so that ship has sailed.

I still think they're missing a key component in defensive shutdown role. Either forward or dmen but the leafs have very limited flexibility.

Overall, getting Tavares is more than enough to have good vibes for the leafs. I think any team will have decided difficulty beating either TBL or BOS but I think the leafs are well equipped so far.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Dubas should be gone if we miss the post season.

Since KD has taken over we went from 105 points, a franchise record, to possibly missing the playoffs.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Under Keefe the Leafs are 16-7-3 or a 110 point pace.
The coach was the problem.

Well, if we keep up this pace, then we should make the playoffs. However, if our team is more like the team of the last 4-5 games, then we won't make the playoffs and the coach wasn't the problem? When Keefe was first hired, I thought the results of this season didn't matter because of where the Leafs were in the standings, but the Leafs were able to go on a run and be in a solid place in the standings. Now the initially starting point when Keefe took over from Babcock shouldn't matter too much?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
He needs to trade for a top pairing RHD ASAP. Make the Pietrangelo trade if it’s available. He needs to start building for the future.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Well, if we keep up this pace, then we should make the playoffs. However, if our team is more like the team of the last 4-5 games, then we won't make the playoffs and the coach wasn't the problem? When Keefe was first hired, I thought the results of this season didn't matter because of where the Leafs were in the standings, but the Leafs were able to go on a run and be in a solid place in the standings. Now the initially starting point when Keefe took over from Babcock shouldn't matter too much?
That poster clearly came to make a troll comment looking at his post history.
The only real stinker that stretch was Edmonton and partially Florida. The other ones we played well enough but Rittich stole one game, and Andersen let us down in the others.
Yesterday with average goaltending, it's a 2-2 game going into the 3rd.

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
Should be gone! He had let ufa walk for nothing! Trading Kadri for the what he got was terrible. Marleau only had one year left. Paying top dollar for our rfa wasn’t smart.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Obviously Dubas should keep his job and it's for this reason. He wanted to fire Babcock after the playoffs last season and Shanahan didn't think it was the right decision. So he at least owes him to start a full season with Keefe behind the bench and to see what moves Dubas can make to improve the team.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
We were bound to hit a few speed bumps even after the coaching change. The bad start reduced the margin for error but there will still be stretches where they don't play well, like right now. Doesn't mean you blow the whole thing up.

Reactions: authentic

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Another reason why I think Dubas should not be fired is this. The Leafs finally have a GM who hired the current coach, so you know they have the same ideas. We previously never had that with Dubas and Babcock or even Lamoriello and Babcock, although I think Babcock respect Lou a lot more. Prior to that the last time a Leafs GM hired the current coach is when Brian Burke hired Randy Carlyle.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
If the rumors are true, Shanahan takes the L for this season as he wouldn't let Dubas fire Babcock. I still think we make the playoffs, but it will be extremely disappointing if we don't. If we miss Dubas won't be able to say he has confidence in the D as currently constructed. Luckily for everyone Barrie probably isn't back, Rielly gets right again, and we see Sandin up full time. If Dermott takes the next step the D will already be better as long as Muzzin doesn't lose a step.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad