If Marc Bergevin is fired, who do you want for next Habs GM ?

Next Habs GM

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
So if you were a billionaire and bought the Habs, you would make yourself President and think that is OK? And you probably know more about hockey than Molson does. BTW... Molson brothers are the majority owners but there are several other partners with Bell being one of them.

I don't care what other teams are doing at the end of the day. I value two guys more than one who know hockey. Inserting a hockey guy with experience at business and hockey is of value to me.

Leafs could have easily put Tanenbaum as President but I bet you Bell and Rogers blocked that as part of the purchasing agreement. Or Tanenbaum was smart enough to realize that they needed a guy who knew hockey to run things at the higher level.
Fully agree, though on Tanenbaum, it is the later, as he did same when he hired tim Lieweke , paid off i say with an Nba trophy.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Stephane Turcot who is a reporter for the sport in the city of QC (Ramparts/Rouge et or/sport amateur/ect) said that he hear from person close to Patrick Roy that he want to comeback as a GM and not a coach. He think that he's plan is to become Habs GM and after retire in Florida. He added that Molson and Roy have good relationship and that Molson respect a lot the opinion of Roy but Molson really like Bergevin to.
Montréal: le dernier arrêt de Patrick Roy - TVA Sports

Habs icon Cournoyer says Molson must leave hockey decisions to his GM | Montreal Gazette

“He’s got somebody to work for him,” Cournoyer said. “He can take some (non-hockey) decisions, but the hockey decisions should be taken by Marc Bergevin. I (think) the people should leave Geoff alone because if he tries too much to do Bergevin’s job, that’s bad. He should have confidence in the people he’s hired. He’s not the GM.”

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Habs icon Cournoyer says Molson must leave hockey decisions to his GM | Montreal Gazette

“He’s got somebody to work for him,” Cournoyer said. “He can take some (non-hockey) decisions, but the hockey decisions should be taken by Marc Bergevin. I (think) the people should leave Geoff alone because if he tries too much to do Bergevin’s job, that’s bad. He should have confidence in the people he’s hired. He’s not the GM.”

I don't really understand your point ?

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Molson should be another step removed from the team, name a former player President (french speaking) and hire the best GM candidate available.

Or similar to TOR, hire a President, a veteran GM and an up and comer (dunno who), to plan for the future.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Molson should be another step removed from the team, name a former player President (french speaking) and hire the best GM candidate available.

Or similar to TOR, hire a President, a veteran GM and an up and comer (dunno who), to plan for the future.

Bobby Smith as President. He knows hockey and the business side of things. Then let him evaluate Bergevin in his last year in term. Molson changes his title to CEO and focuses on business only

This is a move that causes less disruptions. Bergevin can get disgruntled all he wants about having a guy in between him and Molson but it's not his decision to make. With one year in term left, he needs to focus on that and prove to Bobby that he can take us where we want to go.

Bobby is not a talker. He leads by example. We need someone like Bobby. Calm, Cool, and Collected and well respected with connections

Reactions: Forum93 and smirob

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
You don't need someone who "knows" hockey to be President/VP above Bergevin. You just need someone who can evaluate whether the GM did what the GM said they were going to do. For example if the GM says he's going to build through the draft and it's going to take 3-5 years before we see the results, it doesn't really matter if the President/VP understand hockey enough to know whether building through the draft is the right move or not, all he has to do is evaluate whether after those 3-5 years the plan worked or not.

Molson's issue isn't that he doesn't know hockey well enough to overule Bergevin's bad decisions it's that whatever plan(s) Bergevin presented failed to materialize and Molson did nothing to hold Bergevin accountable, and there's been several plans put in place by Bergevin which have all failed. In fact the most success he's had was his plan of doing nothing and hoping Price wins it by himself (Presumably he thought he could do nothing because his prospect pool would fix everything and it didn't).

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Roy as GM and Tortorella as head coach after he inevitably gets fired from Colombus. Let's inject a good dose of impulsive crazyness to this team.

At least if the product on the ice is boring it certainly won't be during press conferences

:sarcasm:

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
The one thing I like about Roy quitting in Colorado was when he said everybody had to be aligned with the same vision. That's very true and is what good leaders do, they get everyone to buy into their vision.

Reactions: Vachon23

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
If Roy can become the President of Hockey Ops, and put his ego aside to allow the best GM candidate available (french or not) make the player decisions - im fine with it. It just might allow us to hire someone without language being an issue.

Not sure I can picture Roy putting his ego aside for anything but I haven't followed what he has been doing the last few years. It's possible he has matured.

I suspect that one reason not to hire ex-NHLers, and especially ex-stars, is that they are used to success and adulation and they overrate their abilities in new fields. Being a good player does little to make someone a good coach or GM. Being a hothead who quits playing and GMing jobs due to perceived slights really doesn't help. With the Montreal media Roy would quit before the season started; signed and out in a huff in the same summer.

Reactions: habdynasty

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Roy would come in here and get rid of Price in a heartbeat. He knows Price is an anchor on this franchise. Roy doesnt care what others think of him. He wouldnt coddle egos. He might not be a great GM in the end but he would have ZERO Fear.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Roy would come in here and get rid of Price in a heartbeat. He knows Price is an anchor on this franchise. Roy doesnt care what others think of him. He wouldnt coddle egos. He might not be a great GM in the end but he would have ZERO Fear.
Roy would atleast try to build a winning team rather than using the scraps of his past Gm like Bergevin did with GaineyGauthier

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Reggie Houle had zero fear...turned out great.

You’re hate and agenda is getting in the way of logic..

Reactions: habdynasty

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick

Lol I don't think it's "fear of a reaction" keeping Price in Montreal.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Not sure I can picture Roy putting his ego aside for anything but I haven't followed what he has been doing the last few years. It's possible he has matured.

I suspect that one reason not to hire ex-NHLers, and especially ex-stars, is that they are used to success and adulation and they overrate their abilities in new fields. Being a good player does little to make someone a good coach or GM. Being a hothead who quits playing and GMing jobs due to perceived slights really doesn't help. With the Montreal media Roy would quit before the season started; signed and out in a huff in the same summer.

That's the thing, I don't think we really know if Roy is a micro-manager or not so the whole ego thing is a question mark. The assumption is that he will get involved with the GM/Coach because he's owner/gm/coach in QC but I don't think that's a safe assumption to make. He's not an owner looking to make money where you hire the best people and let them run the ship. He's the owner because he wants to be involved and doesn't want someone above him telling him what/how to do things, which was the problem he had in Colorado. That's quite different from a micro-manager who needs to get involved in every decision. Knowing how he worked with his assistant coaches would actually go a long way in determining whether it would be a problem or not.

If he's given a position where no-one above him is making hockey related decisions then I'm not convinced he would automatically meddle with the GM/coaching decisions beyond the expected stuff of ensuring everybody was on the same page with his vision for how the team should be.

But yeah being a good player is mostly irrelevant to being a good GM. The one advantage it gives is in dealing with the media/fans. If Roy sticks up for a player the media/fans are trying to run out of town it would likely have an impact, similar to Gainey standing up for Brisebois did help.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Reggie Houle had zero fear...turned out great.

You’re hate and agenda is getting in the way of logic..
Roy would be entertaining. Probably more then the product on the ice. We've suffered for so long.

First losing streak he'd probably burn a few buildings around the Bell center and fire everyone within 5 km of it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
At this point, I would take Mike Milbury. At least, Habs would have a proper crash and then will get high end talent.
If it was Milbury he'd trade those picks for overpaid vets... that's what made him Milbury.

As for Patrick Roy, as I mentioned earlier... great at building things down. Building things back up? I'm not sure why you hire an arsonist for this.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
That's the thing, I don't think we really know if Roy is a micro-manager or not so the whole ego thing is a question mark. The assumption is that he will get involved with the GM/Coach because he's owner/gm/coach in QC but I don't think that's a safe assumption to make. He's not an owner looking to make money where you hire the best people and let them run the ship. He's the owner because he wants to be involved and doesn't want someone above him telling him what/how to do things, which was the problem he had in Colorado. That's quite different from a micro-manager who needs to get involved in every decision. Knowing how he worked with his assistant coaches would actually go a long way in determining whether it would be a problem or not.

If he's given a position where no-one above him is making hockey related decisions then I'm not convinced he would automatically meddle with the GM/coaching decisions beyond the expected stuff of ensuring everybody was on the same page with his vision for how the team should be.

But yeah being a good player is mostly irrelevant to being a good GM. The one advantage it gives is in dealing with the media/fans. If Roy sticks up for a player the media/fans are trying to run out of town it would likely have an impact, similar to Gainey standing up for Brisebois did help.

Martin Laperrière is his assistant coach since his 1st year and he refused HC job in the Q because he didn't want to leave QC. He's actually associate coach since Roy return in QC, so if Roy was that selfish not sure guy with the credibly of Lapperrire would have stay all those years. Patrick just want to have the final say and building with his vision (what are good quality for a GM) but he was never scared to surround himself with the best.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Tanking would be extremely difficult for the Habs right now.

First, they'd have to pick the right time and conditions to lose the Weber and Price contracts. That's not easy and would require good strategic thinking. Petry might also need to go.

Then they need to decide what to do about Tatar, Armia, Danault.

Finally, they need a coach who is good with that strategy.

Good strategic thinking? Geoff wouldn’t know it if he tripped on it. Man, this org., so frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad