If Marc Bergevin is fired, who do you want for next Habs GM ?

Next Habs GM

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
The team needs a President, the general manager needs someone who knows hockey between him and the owner to provide objective council. I feel sorry for the next guy.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
From what I recall the whole if he was Edm GM came out much later (After Yakupov started struggling), his actual statements at the time were much more inline with it being something both teams would want.

Not trading picks isn't rebuilding through the draft.

If MB was supposed to come in and make the team competitive right away as Molson expected/demanded then how do you explain MBs moves that summer. He signed Prust, Armstron and Bouillon and bought out Gomez. How is that making the team immediately competitive?

It's far more likely that McGuire wanted to sell off many vets for prospects and was proposing being competitive in 5+ years whereas Bergevin was saying they can keep the current core but still tank for another 1-2 years and then be competitive.
McGuire said clearly on Melnicks show it was Molson and Andlauer who opened the interview by stating they wanted potential GMs to understand ownership would not be open to any ideas involving rebuilding, the goal was to get back in the playoffs right away.

“Get back in playoffs right away” is the key...

As for Subban for Edm pick...it’s similar to the incorrect take when people state McGuire said Price was a terrible pick...vs what he actually said “Price is not Mtls need..they need a C or Dman”, going on to state Habs should’ve drafted Kopitar or Staal.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
McGuire said clearly on Melnicks show it was Molson and Andlauer who opened the interview by stating they wanted potential GMs to understand ownership would not be open to any ideas involving rebuilding, the goal was to get back in the playoffs right away.

“Get back in playoffs right away” is the key...

As for Subban for Edm pick...it’s similar to the incorrect take when people state McGuire said Price was a terrible pick...vs what he actually said “Price is not Mtls need..they need a C or Dman”, going on to state Habs should’ve drafted Kopitar or Staal.

I would just point out that this whole debate shows that two people can hear the same thing and come to different conclusions. So McGuire could've heard that no rebuild is allowed and they have to get to the playoffs right away and Bergevin could've heard I've got 2-3 years before I need to make the playoffs.

How do you explain Bergevin doing nothing to "Get back in the playoffs right away"?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Team is going to make the playoffs, Bergy gets an extension. Book it.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I would just point out that this whole debate shows that two people can hear the same thing and come to different conclusions. So McGuire could've heard that no rebuild is allowed and they have to get to the playoffs right away and Bergevin could've heard I've got 2-3 years before I need to make the playoffs.

How do you explain Bergevin doing nothing to "Get back in the playoffs right away"?
I can tell you for a fact the Habs had a deal in place at trade deadline 2013 w SJS for Marleau, based on a player I know on the Sharks...Marleau refused to waive for Mtl, a trade was also in place in 2014 for Thornton..again refused to waive.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
if you don't thrust your GM to take those big decision, it's maybe because he's not the right man

The only reason an owner would need a buffer between himself and the GM is if the owner doesn't trust themselves to be impartial. I do genuinely believe Molson cares about having a winning team, but there's a case that he's too emotionally invested to be impartial with holding the GM accountable.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I can tell you for a fact the Habs had a deal in place at trade deadline 2013 w SJS for Marleau, based on a player I know on the Sharks...Marleau refused to waive for Mtl, a trade was also in place in 2014 for Thornton..again refused to waive.

Which is all irrelevant, according to you Bergevin had a mandate to make the team competitive right away and yet his moves that offseason consisted of signing Prust, Armstrong, and Bouillon. Are we seriously claiming those are the moves that are meant to make a team that finished 3rd last competitive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad