If Marc Bergevin is fired, who do you want for next Habs GM ?

Next Habs GM

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I don't think Roy would work out well but he does have some positive qualities.
  • He seems like someone whose willing to think outside the box. The whole pulling the goalie super early is an example which then caught on across the NHL.
  • His statements on advanced stats shows a willingness to learn and not be stuck in the old ways of doing things
There are some things that could turn out good or bad
  • His leadership abilities and being able to create a winning atmosphere could go either way. I can see them being positive but I could also see him creating a toxic working environment.
  • Similarly his relationship with the media could be good or bad. If he's willing to stand up for all his players then it would be a positive as it could end the practice of the media turning against certain players and trying to drive them out of town. But it can also turn into toxic sycophant like situation like it has with Bergevin.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Tanking would be extremely difficult for the Habs right now.

First, they'd have to pick the right time and conditions to lose the Weber and Price contracts. That's not easy and would require good strategic thinking. Petry might also need to go.

Then they need to decide what to do about Tatar, Armia, Danault.

Finally, they need a coach who is good with that strategy.

1) Let Tatar, Armia, and Danault walk

2) Trade Weber and Price with retention for whatever you can get back. Kind of like Kessel and Phaneuf.

3) Trade Chiarot. Not complicated to get a decent return there.

You don't think this team struggles like the Sens? Petry and Gallagher can be traded but we don't have to be in a hurry to do so

Toffoli / KK / Caufield
Drouin / Suzuki / Anderson
Lehkonen / Evans / Gallagher
Byron / Poehling / Ylonen

Romanov / Petry
Edmundson / Brook
Kulak / Fleury

Allen
Primeau

Reactions: Gravity

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Nothing about what he's done is impressive.. they have money and mystique, so they just get a bunch of players to agree to play for them that won't come to the OHL otherwise.

Check his draft record with Toronto, it was f***ing brutal after the first round.

Yeah, we are brutal even with the 1st round, that would be at least that.
Still beats having someone with zero experience.

He's been in charge of the draft for 4 years. Not 10 years. That's not a lot to based your opinions on.
And in his 4 years he picked up Nylander, Marner, Matthews.....and he was assistant-gm, not head scout.
After the first round, you usually trust your scouts.....Bergevin didn't even barely knew who Romanov was when they drafted him.
And as the one fully responsible for the draft with his OHL team, he did a fantastic job.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And lost in the first round and didn't make the playoffs the next two years before basically being booted. Roy is not a guy that will ever truly keep his temper under control and his departure from Colorado was in past because he cried he wanted more control, basically he wanted to be coach and GM like with the Rampart which he of course owns. I can easily see him complaining about player control if he is only coach...and if hired as GM he would likely put his nose far too much into the coaches duties.

I value the aggression Roy would bring. His temper and no nonsense approach is lacking within the Habs management IMO. And I think Roy is older and wiser now. I'd consider bringing him into our organization for sure. Call it the Torts effect

Honestly though, both Roy and Hunter are not qualified for a full time NHL GM role at this stage. They need more time as assistants.

Roy quit on the Avs and Hunter quit on the Leafs from what I remember. Job was given to the kid and he bolted like a disgruntled one. How does Hunter get a pass on that and Roy does not?

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
And as the one fully responsible for the draft with his OHL team, he did a fantastic job.

Man for the millionth time it is nothing impressive to draft well when you're the London Knights. They are paying kids to come play for them. Do you think they got Matthew Tkachuk because of being just better at scouting then the other teams?

Reactions: JoelWarlord

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Man for the millionth time it is nothing impressive to draft well when you're the London Knights. They are paying kids to come play for them. Do you think they got Matthew Tkachuk because of being just better at scouting then the other teams?

Look at this list. DRAFTED PLAYERS.....not bought players, not paying kids.....DRAFTED.
You know how this work.

Elite Prospects - Players drafted by London Knights

And you know why some other came there for other reason, cause it was a good team. It was a good organization and it was winning organization. You want to know why Montreal can't get top UFA? We can pay them.....but we suck as an organization.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I'm not aware of the US advantages London has but evidence is there though
Each league have a certain area of the US where they can draft US players

for the WHL: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington and Wyoming.

For the OHL: Michigan, Pennsylvania and New York, and a few other designated U.S. states east of the Mississippi River.

For the QMJHL: U.S. region of New England, which includes Maine, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire and Rhode Island.

And a big part of the good US players are from the area of the OHL and the players that are from the Boston area usually plays NCAA in Boston

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Look at this list. DRAFTED PLAYERS.....not bought players, not paying kids.....DRAFTED.
You know how this work.

Elite Prospects - Players drafted by London Knights

And you know why some other came there for other reason, cause it was a good team. It was a good organization and it was winning organization. You want to know why Montreal can't get top UFA? We can pay them.....but we suck as an organization.
Again if you follow the CHL, you would know that those player said to every other teasm that they won't play for them so they don't draft them and they fall to London. Happen every yrs, and that's why a lot of people hates the Knights. In the Q they actually create a rule where if you draft a player and he doesn't come to your team, you can have the same pick back the next year to be sure to contain that

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
The most attractive market in the CHL because the Euro draft is between all the CHL teams

Yet how many Euro the London Knight had?

2015 = 2
2014 = 1
2013 = 2
2012 = 2
2011 = 2

How many of them were very good player?
ONE.

97% of the london knights over the years were not Euro based players at all.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Yet how many Euro the London Knight had?

2015 = 2
2014 = 1
2013 = 2
2012 = 2
2011 = 2

How many of them were very good player?
ONE.

97% of the london knights over the years were not Euro based players at all.
You can't have more then 2 euro in a team and look who where the euro, it's wasn't no name player

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
How? Since OHL players are not being paid.
They have food, training equopement, tickets, education costs paid for....but they don't get a salary.
That's what you think but they are many ways to do it. When Charlie Coyle quitte NCCA to come play 1/2 season with the Sea Dogs, I can affirme you that he didn't come for free

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Tell that to Dubas or Brisebois....yeah, they were AHL GM before getting the job as NHL GM.

Brisebois was AGM in the NHL and GM in the AHL.
Dubas is a big exception, he needed maturity. Roy doesn't need maturity.

These roles don't last. The only real GM level before the NHL is the CHL.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
You seems to have ignored that Hunter drafted his players.....he didn't bought them
He drafted them because they threatened to go to Jr. A and then NCAA if they were taken by any other team but London. Same with MacKinnon going to Halifax, he wasn't going to play for any other CHL franchise.

Eg. Here's Victor Mete. Drafted 8th overall by Owen Sound and basically told them if I'm not traded to London I'm going to the NCAA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad