If Berube is fired, who would you like to see behind the Flyers bench?

SchennSational1022*

Literally anybody. If you honestly believe this guy hasnt had a big hand in this team being god awful and that hes the right coach for this team you are just 100% wrong.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
The way to build a championship team is when the owner,gm,scouts,coach are on the same page, working together to build a winner. Snyder has wasted a lot of money on the flyers.Like he cares a tax write off for him.but when he hired hexy, he realized yah enough of not winning the cup, the city and fans deserve a winner.
Hexy with his time in LA, learned first hand how to do that, and luckily came back home to philly. Since his mentality is to build a champ net out, then d, then forwards. Mason and hopefully stolarz are good enough to win championships.
Then our d, some picks by homer, morin,ghost. Hexy continues with sanheim,hagg,Friedman. And if we stay where we currently are in standings, don't be shocked if we nab, Jeremy Roy, rhd,Sherbrooke, qmjhl. 6-0, 185, he will grow.
So what type of coach do we need, one who coaches from the net out. We are gonna have a big,mobile,puck moving d. And a d who can shut down the opposition. Guys like morin,hagg,alt can fill that role.
So what coach has a style of d first, get the puck out our zone, transition, move the puck, forechecking and score. I have no idea who this guy is, but it's not berube. I would not hire a coach based on his name, hire the guy who can work with owner,gm,scouts. Must have the goal of winning championships.

Great post. 100% agree.

For our situation we need a coach that will teach D first system. Build it from the goalie out through the D. Then let our Fwds work more through the cycling game. That will make for a successful pick possession team.

Then, way down the line, we can look at getting a offensive coach applied to a team and players that know how to play D already like lavi.

We need a hitch esk coach here now.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Rob Parent ‏@ReluctantSE
Also when asked if he's still of mind that this players fault and not his head coach, Hextall said, "Yes. Absolutely." So Berube is safe?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You have to say that stuff right up until your replace the coach. Otherwise, you are undermining his position and should fire him on the spot.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well the season is on the players, that doesn't mean that Berube is coming back. Hextall is just saying that he doesn't blame Berube for what's happening right now.

Berube is a ****ing idiot and a horrible coach, but he's not the sole reason they're horrible right now, the defense is so bad even a good coach wouldn't be able to do much. It's not like Hextall is going to come out and say that Berube is the problem, he's going to hold the players accountable even though he probably realizes that Berube is a huge problem too.

RJ8812*

I have a feeling that if he's still unemployed during the off-season, Carlyle will be this team's new coach

Newest sens fan

My uncle owns Nintendo 64
Feb 13, 2014
Connecticut
The only thing I like about Torts is how he holds players accountable, although sometimes he goes off on them. I wouldn't mind Berube back as an assistant, if thats possible, the players seem to like him.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Flyers actually have some decent options out there for coaches.

Carlyle,Maclean,Torts,K Dineen, Blysma. All have decent track records if Hextall were to have the courage to make a move. Thinking we should continue with the drive for Mcdavid so i'm perfectly fine with keeping Berube until the end of the season (why ruin a good thing lol)

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Actually Deboer might be a hell of a coach as well the job he did against us in the playoffs couple seasons ago was fantastic. No one could coach that terrible Devils lineup imo. Wouldn't be surprised if the Leafs picked him up

BillDineen

Aug 9, 2009
There are a lot of options but Tocchet is the logical choice. Laperriere needs more time and Riley Cote isn't even the Phantoms coach yet but could be a great assistant. Next hire Shelley as the phantoms coach, promote Rosehill to player/assistant coach and bring in Brashear as another assistant. That ensures the pipeline of future coaches is fully stocked for years to come.

Obviously this has to happen quickly as teams will be lining up for these guys as coaching spots become available.

Newest sens fan

My uncle owns Nintendo 64
Feb 13, 2014
Connecticut
didn't Sens fans say the same thing about Maclean as Flyer fans do about Berube?

I heard that as well, they mentioned how he was terrible with matchups/used players wrong. Although he didn't really have any offensive players to work with. I'd like the guy just for his mustache though. Same with Guy Boucher's scar.

BillDineen

Aug 9, 2009
I didn't like his late 2nd period use of McDavid (despite penalties he could have gotten at least one or two more shifts), nor his choice nor deployment of D, but Groulx will be an nhl coach soon.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Berube deserves love and respect in philly. The guy played hard,fought hard for his team. Then he gets into coaching. Spends time in the ahl. But now is not the time to groom his as a potential good nhl coach. He learned stuff, from guys like Hitchcock and sutter. We have a fair sized window to get a championship team back to philly. Don't want to see him end up like Santa clause and get booed in philly. We deserve a good coach and he deserves better as well.

TerrapinFlyers

Dec 5, 2014
Pennsylvania
Berube deserves love and respect in philly. The guy played hard,fought hard for his team. Then he gets into coaching. Spends time in the ahl. But now is not the time to groom his as a potential good nhl coach. He learned stuff, from guys like Hitchcock and sutter. We have a fair sized window to get a championship team back to philly. Don't want to see him end up like Santa clause and get booed in philly. We deserve a good coach and he deserves better as well.

I'm all for not giving the guy that treatment but is he really starting Rinaldo on the first line?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I have a feeling that if he's still unemployed during the off-season, Carlyle will be this team's new coach

I expect a more defensive minded/balanced approach because of our major question marks on defense. Here's hoping Arizona lets go of Tippett.

Moondog47

Feb 5, 2014
No to MacLean, what has he really done besides the one year when they got unbelievable goaltending.

No to Bylsma, have seen him get out-coached by Berube and in the Olympics too much.

No to Torts, I think they players here would get fed up with him before they really had a chance to compete. He is the definition of a coach with a shelf life.

Not really sure about Carlyle, seems like no coach can get it going in Toronto but was solid in Anaheim.

DeBoer is an interesting name. He coached well against us a few years ago when the Devils made that run and he seems to get a good bit out of his players. No coach is going to win when 3 of your top forwards are Jagr, Gomez and Elias.

I think it would be best to wait for the offseason and possibly make a run at Babcock with DeBoer and Carlyle as potential backups. Money talks when trying to get Babcock (Snider has deep pockets) and maybe he'd embrace a team that is willing to spend money and has a solid d prospect core and some good pieces to start with upfront in G, Jake, Coots and Simmer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad