If Berube is fired, who would you like to see behind the Flyers bench?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
My thoughts exactly, he seems to be respected but it would be akward.

Yeah, can't see it happening. At most I could see him getting a job as AHL coach. Most likely hell be looking to be a head coach somewhere else.

I really do believe Berube is part of the problem as well. His creativity and line combos are bottom of the league. He's a great condition coach with a hard nose attitude, but he's definitely not a head coach in the NHL at the moment.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Yeah, can't see it happening. At most I could see him getting a job as AHL coach. Most likely hell be looking to be a head coach somewhere else.

I really do believe Berube is part of the problem as well. His creativity and line combos are bottom of the league. He's a great condition coach with a hard nose attitude, but he's definitely not a head coach in the NHL at the moment.

once hes fired here, he will NEVER get another NHL headcoaching job...

he's proven he wasnt ready and is still not...

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Bob Mackenzie was talking about the Leafs today, but it applies to the Flyers too. Even if you are convinced your coach has to go now, there is no rush to hire a permanent replacement. Why settle for in-season table scraps when you can wait for the buffet in the offseason?

If the Flyers felt it necessary to fire Berube now, just appoint an interim coach, maybe even Lappy, then do a proper search later. They might as well just leave him there now, there's nothing to lose.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Yah I love the way bob Mackenzie thinks. And he is right like usual. It's amazing how many hockey clowns, legends in their own minds we have to put up with in Canada. I tend to turn off the volume and just watch. Throw on some octane,alt nation on siriusxm. Bob and Craig button are the few I have the patience to listen to.
I would like to add Dave Tippett to the Buffett for off season coaches. Don't know how much longer he will hang on in Arizona. He's seasoned. He does appear stoic, like berube. But he would have his system down, lines figured out, day 1 of regular season. And he has a talented d in zona. Think he would work well with our young prospects on d.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I think it is very, very possible that Hextall is waiting to see what happens with Tippett before firing Berube.

And I would be okay with that path, because Tippett is a heck of a coach.

JayRosehillMVP

snubbed again
May 28, 2012
Philadelphia
Plenty of guys capable if being interim HC for the rest of the season, but theres really no rush anymore. We're too far gone at this point.

Only current NHL coaches I like are Babcock and Tippett. Babcocks not happening, but Tippett seems very possible. What he's accomplished over the years in Arizona is awesome. Has Flyers ties as well. Do we even know if he'll definitively be fired though?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Tippett or MacLean seem the most viable and feasible options...

If people want Babcock MacLean is a pretty similar coach stylistically and tactically.

Though I do worry that his system would be very ill suited to our D... but then again pretty much every system is ill suited to them!

But if he stayed around long enough for our young D to start coming through they seem exactly what he would want.

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
Agreed with others on Tippett or Maclean... can't think of any other coaches I would rather have or would be an upgrade. Mid as well finish off the season with what we have.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
once hes fired here, he will NEVER get another NHL headcoaching job...

he's proven he wasnt ready and is still not...

I'm no apologist [though I do think he'll last the remainder of the season] but I think he did a pretty good job last year. He's been tasked with making chicken salad out of chicken **** this year, even Scotty Bowman isn't taking this squad anywhere...

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Whatever we do, I want a coach who is aggressive with the defense in the neutral zone and entering at the blue line. If you watch teams like Pittsburgh and other teams who control the play, they have their defense aggressively pursue the puck carrier coming through the zone. Our team literally just allows them to enter the zone pretty much. Coburn and Schenn are probably the only two who have any means of stopping players approaching the zone. Schenn is usually only effective when the player is coming down the boards.

Clearly one problem is we are not mobile enough back end for our team to play that type of aggressive style. It needs to be improved. Morin will definitely help and I bet that's why the Flyers were wanting to keep him up. Gap control is huge and our team is terrible at it. Throwing away Grossmann and Schenn will improve our blue line a lot.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Whatever we do, I want a coach who is aggressive with the defense in the neutral zone and entering at the blue line. If you watch teams like Pittsburgh and other teams who control the play, they have their defense aggressively pursue the puck carrier coming through the zone. Our team literally just allows them to enter the zone pretty much. Coburn and Schenn are probably the only two who have any means of stopping players approaching the zone. Schenn is usually only effective when the player is coming down the boards.

Clearly one problem is we are not mobile enough back end for our team to play that type of aggressive style. It needs to be improved. Morin will definitely help and I bet that's why the Flyers were wanting to keep him up. Gap control is huge and our team is terrible at it. Throwing away Grossmann and Schenn will improve our blue line a lot.

It WOULD help our blueline but it WILL not happen as long as Berube has a say in that regard. He loves his big blue liners.

Grossmann has looked improved the last couple of weeks though. He makes much better decisions than L.Schenn or even Coburn and has an underrated wrist-shot.
I'm fine with keeping one of the big slobs to play him on the 3rd pairing and to take over PK duties like blocking shots but two of them, especially at that cap hit, is just a waste.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
It WOULD help our blueline but it WILL not happen as long as Berube has a say in that regard. He loves his big blue liners.

Grossmann has looked improved the last couple of weeks though. He makes much better decisions than L.Schenn or even Coburn and has an underrated wrist-shot.
I'm fine with keeping one of the big slobs to play him on the 3rd pairing and to take over PK duties like blocking shots but two of them, especially at that cap hit, is just a waste.

The GM has final say on the matter. Berube most likely won't be here next year anyway so I don't think it matters. Hextall sitting in the press box has to see what everyone else does. Gap control is terrible and zone entry is just to simple for teams playing against us. It's the problem that Toronto has as well. Their defense just isn't good at controlling the line.

Newest sens fan

My uncle owns Nintendo 64
Feb 13, 2014
Connecticut
Thoughts on Yeo now that all this drama has happened? He coaches a possession game and likes speedy forwards (which we are kind of drafting now with Hexy). We have decent possession players already in G, Jake, and Simmonds (on the boards at least). Just a few ideas, but I hope he wouldn't turn the team into a bore-fest like the Wild are.

SchennSational1022*

Dreger said yesterday we will make a big run at Babcock, right after he said him going to Toronto is a pipe dream.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Babcock is likely going to sign an extension in Detroit.
why would he come to Philly.

$$$$$$$$

Thats simple the reason. He is reportedly looking for 4 million per year. Detroit is offering 3. That's the stick up. Flyers get a high draft pick this year and maybe get a guy like Boychuk on our back end they immediately become a more attractive team. Hextall would have to sell where the team is likely going and not where it is right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad