If Berube is fired, who would you like to see behind the Flyers bench?

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
If Babcock is about the money this offseason, we've got his services in the bag.

Why wouldn't we be an attractive team for him to sign with? We've got great young players, top 5 talent, a competitive organization, a will to spend to improve the team, Hextall as GM, great prospects, etc.

My hope for this team is to ride it out with Berube, fire him in the offseason, Babcock pursues other options besides Detroit, Hextall pursues Babcock, and he agrees to coach here.

I've watched a lot of Detroit games under Babcock and his system would fit our roster really well. Obviously, we'll need to get rid of the dead weight on this team still and that's up to Hextall, but the core would be really effective under Babcock.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
A few other things about Tippett I haven't heard mentioned:

1.) He's a North Dakota guy. Tippett played for the Fighting Sioux just as Ron Hextall's uncle Dennis and Ron's son Brett. (And Brett's buddy Vandevelde. Ha.)

2.) Tippett was the head coach for Canada at last season's World Championships, where Hexy was assistant GM.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Whatever we do, I want a coach who is aggressive with the defense in the neutral zone and entering at the blue line. If you watch teams like Pittsburgh and other teams who control the play, they have their defense aggressively pursue the puck carrier coming through the zone. Our team literally just allows them to enter the zone pretty much. Coburn and Schenn are probably the only two who have any means of stopping players approaching the zone. Schenn is usually only effective when the player is coming down the boards.

Clearly one problem is we are not mobile enough back end for our team to play that type of aggressive style. It needs to be improved. Morin will definitely help and I bet that's why the Flyers were wanting to keep him up. Gap control is huge and our team is terrible at it. Throwing away Grossmann and Schenn will improve our blue line a lot.

It's because our defensemen are too slow to be that aggressive. If the forward gets behind them or they take a wrong angle, they're absolutely toast. Other than Scuderi and Bortuzzo (who barely play anyway), their defense is very mobile.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I have a feeling if Berube is indeed fired Hextall will bring in an up & comer who has experience working with younger players since he's been stressing player development since he got here & Murphy was hired due to his work with young defenders over the years.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
A few other things about Tippett I haven't heard mentioned:

1.) He's a North Dakota guy. Tippett played for the Fighting Sioux just as Ron Hextall's uncle Dennis and Ron's son Brett. (And Brett's buddy Vandevelde. Ha.)

2.) Tippett was the head coach for Canada at last season's World Championships, where Hexy was assistant GM.

I like where this is going

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
If Babcock is about the money this offseason, we've got his services in the bag.

Why wouldn't we be an attractive team for him to sign with? We've got great young players, top 5 talent, a competitive organization, a will to spend to improve the team, Hextall as GM, great prospects, etc.

My hope for this team is to ride it out with Berube, fire him in the offseason, Babcock pursues other options besides Detroit, Hextall pursues Babcock, and he agrees to coach here.

I've watched a lot of Detroit games under Babcock and his system would fit our roster really well. Obviously, we'll need to get rid of the dead weight on this team still and that's up to Hextall, but the core would be really effective under Babcock.

Toronto has more money, and Babcock is a good ole Canadian boy

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Then why hasn't he re-signed yet?

I believe Babcock wanted to wait until the season was over to discuss a new contract.

I highly doubt he comes here though. We can offer him some money as can Toronto but at the end of the day you're only good as your players & he's currently with a team that is better than us & still has a bright future. He's a good coach but he's not a miracle worker in regards to us & Toronto.

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
You don't need to fire Berube in the offseason. His contract is up after this year. He will just walk away. Thats even better news, as the flyers won't being paying salary to an "ex-coach", which opens the pocket book more for a guy like Babcock.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
He's some info. Tippets home town, moosimon, saskatchewan (I don't recall ever going to the place, had to have stopped their, it's on highway 1) is located on the eastern border of saskatchewan, and the next town elkhorn, Manitoba is the next town, also on highway 1. The distance is not much. So our latest first rounder, Travis sanheim is from elkhorn. And sanheim and hexy share family members, through marriage. So i bet HEXY knows Dave Tippett very,very well.And they are close in age.and they have worked together, hockey canada. Hexy has a master plan, and if tippett is let go in Arizona, if hexy wants him, hexy will get him. Just my two cents.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
June 21, 2013 Tippett signed a five year extension with the Coyotes. I doubt that they'll fire him with that much money/time on the deal.
Maybe the Flyers could get Dave Hakstol away from the University of North Dakota's hockey program?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think Luke Richardson could be a name potentially. He's been gaining some traction over the years as a potential up & comer. He's currently the head coach of the Sens farm team. He was offered their head coach job when MacLean was fired but turned it down so who knows what his intentions are but he's got the connections with the organization & Hextall from his playing days here though.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Just to bring some other names into the conversation, literally (maybe) every single person on this board knows that a defensive zone draw with Ovechkin coming on the ice is a bad time to give Lecavalier a shift.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Luke Richardson. :facepalm:

He may have been a not so good player but he's found some good success as a head coach down in the AHL these last couple of years & appears to be on the cusp of an NHL gig. He's been with the Sens organization for six years now first three as an assistant with the big club & the last three including this current season as the head coach with the farm team.

Given his connection with the Flyers & Hextall it wouldn't be shocking if his name comes about if Berube is let go this summer.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I think Luke Richardson could be a name potentially. He's been gaining some traction over the years as a potential up & comer. He's currently the head coach of the Sens farm team. He was offered their head coach job when MacLean was fired but turned it down so who knows what his intentions are but he's got the connections with the organization & Hextall from his playing days here though.

Luke Richardson is a very interesting name I thought of myself the other day for the same reason you did: His turning down of the Ottawa job.

Pure speculation, of course, but he was a teammate of Hextall's (though I have no idea about their relationship), and it's not outside the realm of possibility he's waiting for the Flyers job to open.

I still think it's more likely Tippett is Hextall's top choice, and that Hextall is waiting to see if he becomes available. As someone noted, Tippett recently signed an extension and Arizona hasn't been loaded with money to the point of eating a contract. BUT, they did just get a new owner, so we'll see if that could change things.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I agree. We need a player who was great on the ice and was never a Flyer as the next coach.

What's Gretzky up to?

So you'd take Gretzky over Tippett as Flyers coach, because Gretzky was great on the ice and never a Flyer, and Tippett was a bottom line forward and played a year in Philly?

Funny that Gretzky sucked as head coach of Arizona, and Tippett took over and immediately turned them around (50 wins).

Skill on ice has nothing to do with skill coaching.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
So you'd take Gretzky over Tippett as Flyers coach, because Gretzky was great on the ice and never a Flyer, and Tippett was a bottom line forward and played a year in Philly?

Funny that Gretzky sucked as head coach of Arizona, and Tippett took over and immediately turned them around (50 wins).

Skill on ice has nothing to do with skill coaching.

TFSQE.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3