Idaho Steelheads (ECHL) Discussion

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
It's pretty interesting that A. Smith apparently directly asked to be sent to the ECHL. I wonder if he'd still be languishing in the press box doing nothing if the organization was left to its own devices.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
A.Smith streak ended tonight in a 6-2 or 6-3 loss. Beskorwany was in nets and allowed all 6 goals

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
That's wild. I'm having a hard time remembering seeing something similar. People almost never try that from that distance... much less succeed.... twice.

It's like something Bobby Ryan would do I guess.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Something happened tonight in the Steelheads 8-3 win that made it on ESPN's Sportscenter.

I didn't see it, but that's what the Steelheads radio guy tweeted. He didn't say what it was though. I'm recording Sportscenter in the morning just in case they play it again.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
A.Smith seems to tear up the ECHL but when he get's a shot at the AHL he's quiet.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
A.Smith seems to tear up the ECHL but when he get's a shot at the AHL he's quiet.

I don't like jumping to go negative on a coach. It usually takes me a while.

So I'll first say I understand why Willie is playing to win, and besides his run ins with the OKC Barons, he's done an excellent job of turning these guys into a very good team.

I don't like that he's not exactly prospect-centric in a developmental league .... but I think it's impossible to say Austin Smith should be characterized has quiet in the AHL when he really hasn't been given any opportunity other than on the 4th line.

I personally believe the time in the ECHL was great for Smith, and there is no reason this guy should be playing limited minutes in the AHL from this point forward.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
I don't like jumping to go negative on a coach. It usually takes me a while.

So I'll first say I understand why Willie is playing to win, and besides his run ins with the OKC Barons, he's done an excellent job of turning these guys into a very good team.

I don't like that he's not exactly prospect-centric in a developmental league .... but I think it's impossible to say Austin Smith should be characterized has quiet in the AHL when he really hasn't been given any opportunity other than on the 4th line.

I personally believe the time in the ECHL was great for Smith, and there is no reason this guy should be playing limited minutes in the AHL from this point forward.

True. I don't think 4 games with 4th line mins is enough to evaluate this guy. He gained huge confidence here and if he gets time with guys who can play he will put up numbers. Just needs to open the flood gates and he will produce. He is always the best guy on the ice in the ECHL that has (until now) had a pretty deep talent pool, especially with goalies. Not sure how much room will be made by the end of the lockout but I hope he gets a legit shot.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I hope he gets a shot on the top 6 now that the NHL is back. Eakin and Vinny will be leaving the team so there's a chance IMO

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
Are we going to lose a goalie? I know both Robinson and Besko are on loan but I can't see both being called up and Robinson has been playing better over the whole season but Besko has been playing better for the past 6 weeks or so. They have pretty much been splitting starts during that time and their numbers are basically the same except for the Loss column.

FrailSwan

Feb 26, 2012
I have lost my home
Are we going to lose a goalie? I know both Robinson and Besko are on loan but I can't see both being called up and Robinson has been playing better over the whole season but Besko has been playing better for the past 6 weeks or so. They have pretty much been splitting starts during that time and their numbers are basically the same except for the Loss column.

I don't see why you would. Campbell is staying in Austin, and the other is definitely going to be Bachman or Nilstorp. Did you hear something?

aisforaaron83

May 24, 2008

you will probably lose one for a week to back up Campbell in Austin. It should be Robinson and he should get a game in Cedar Park.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
A tweet Heika retweeted. Good to see Beskorwany putting up great numbers after his rough start.

@WillHoenike: Last 9 starts for @Steelheads G Tyler Beskorowany - 6-1-2, .944 save percentage, 1.75 goals against average. #ECHL

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
A tweet Heika retweeted. Good to see Beskorwany putting up great numbers after his rough start.

@WillHoenike: Last 9 starts for @Steelheads G Tyler Beskorowany - 6-1-2, .944 save percentage, 1.75 goals against average. #ECHL

Before the season I've mentioned this before, Richard Bachman started his pro career at the age of 22, and Beskorowany is 22 years old now.

I lost faith a bit a few months into the season, but the fact is you typically have to be patient with goalies.

Nilstorp is a UFA this summer, and since it's widely been reported that UFA/RFA rules remain unchanged in the new CBA, it very likely Bachman is a UFA as well. With only 1 NHL job available in Dallas, one of them is gone when this season ends.

This opens up the door for Dallas to retain Tyler Beskorowany and Josh Robinson even if Maxime Lagace goes pro. Although, assuming he's traded, an overage year in the Q might better serve Lagace.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

Never noticed this post before.

I think you'll keep both guys until at least the NHL trade deadline. There's two ways Dallas can approach the backup goalie situation.

1) They can decided that they need 3 goalies because of a condensed 48 games schedule, and gamble on losing Bachman or Nilstorp for nothing in the summer.

2) They can move one closer to the trade deadline for probably an underwhelming return.

If Lehtonen is still healthy at the deadline, I think they gamble and move a goalie.

As I type this though I remember the trade deadline is in April. Don't the ECHL playoffs start by then or soon after?

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
Never noticed this post before.

I think you'll keep both guys until at least the NHL trade deadline. There's two ways Dallas can approach the backup goalie situation.

1) They can decided that they need 3 goalies because of a condensed 48 games schedule, and gamble on losing Bachman or Nilstorp for nothing in the summer.

2) They can move one closer to the trade deadline for probably an underwhelming return.

If Lehtonen is still healthy at the deadline, I think they gamble and move a goalie.

As I type this though I remember the trade deadline is in April. Don't the ECHL playoffs start by then or soon after?

Yep. But as long as we keep one it will be fine. We've been the victim twice of losing the only good one late in the playoffs to a call up. The numbers are pretty identical so I don't care which one stays or goes, just not both. But with the top 2 lines getting gutted this week it might not matter now much anyway. Tristan King is the best forward now so that doesn't excite me much.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
[/B]
Yep. But as long as we keep one it will be fine. We've been the victim twice of losing the only good one late in the playoffs to a call up. The numbers are pretty identical so I don't care which one stays or goes, just not both. But with the top 2 lines getting gutted this week it might not matter now much anyway. Tristan King is the best forward now so that doesn't excite me much.

That sucks ... I hear you about Tristan King though. That contract can't expire soon enough. Sometimes you gamble and lose on an undrafted camp invitee.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Looked like Beskorwany was gonna be forgotten at the start of the year but now he's back in the race. One of Bachs or Nihlstorp will be gone by next season so that leaves JC and Besko to fight for the number spot next year in Austin.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Well Besko is on the last year of his ELC. The Stars will have to make a decision as to whether they want to qualify him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad