Idaho Steelheads (ECHL) Discussion

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
idaho.gif

All Idaho and/or ECHL discussion goes here from now on -- not in the Texas Stars thread. This one won't be stickied so find it yourself.

The Kelly Cup Playoffs are underway and Idaho is matched up against Ontario (California). The series is tied at 1 with game 3 set for tomorrow night.

Last edited:

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
We don't really have any of your prospects this year so not much to keep you guys up on. Hubert Labrie was the only one on the playoff roster that you might even care about. Michael Neal is still here but I can't see the organization keeping him after this year. Campbell would have been a nice addition though for a playoff run. Helped Ellis and Bachman out. Tristan King is in Ontario but he didn't play game 2. He may be injured yet again but I'm sure he is done in the organization as well after this year.

Last edited:

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Idaho advances to the next round. Beating Ontario was something of an upset. Neal had 6 points in the series.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
Ontario had 46 shots and got shut out. Wows.

Ontario was the #2 team in the Conference and #3 in the entire league, so definitely an upset.

Goalie Jerry Kuhn has been awesome all season and faced over 40 shots probably half of his starts and 50+ 3 times. He made 2001 saves during the regular season to lead the league by OVER 600 saves.

He took game 2 really hard because he got a game misconduct and felt he lost the game that would have put them up 2-0. He said after that game that he lost Game 2 and that he owed these guys a game and he certainly delivered.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
There are some similarities between Bachman and Kuhn, would you agree with that?

Kuhn has only been pro for a full year yet he's older than Bachman since he stayed in college for all 4 years. He also seems to have played in the USHL beforehand for an extra year.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
There are some similarities between Bachman and Kuhn, would you agree with that?

Kuhn has only been pro for a full year yet he's older than Bachman since he stayed in college for all 4 years. He also seems to have played in the USHL beforehand for an extra year.

They are a similar size and play a simolar style. Kuhn played really well last year in the playoffs after getting here for the last week of the season. I was hoping he would stay and play this year as well since Dallas wasn't sending a goalie this year. But he started the year in Greenville. He played 2 games and gave up 12 goals and got sent away. He was sketchy the first few games here but then was lights out the rest of the year. He played 60 games and made 2001 saves in the regular season and had a .923 save percentage. His record wasn't good because he played behind a horrendous team all year.

I think experience-wise he is ahead of Bachman when he left here but I think his age will hold him back from being anything more than an AHL backup at best. It's too bad because he has been really good but there isn't much of a market for late blooming goalies.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Idaho's coach, Hardy Sauter, was let go. So both of our affiliates will be looking for new head coaches. I guess the rumors of both teams being in a state of disarray might've had some truth to them.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Idaho's coach, Hardy Sauter, was let go. So both of our affiliates will be looking for new head coaches. I guess the rumors of both teams being in a state of disarray might've had some truth to them.

Allen also fired their coach today so all three of Dallas affiliates are looking for a coach. I can't think of a guy under contract with Dallas to play for Allen (Jordie Benn wasn't under contract with Dallas when he played in Allen), but I know they are technically still affiliated.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID

Not a shocker. I don't think Sauter had a clue how to work in an affiliation enviornment. He had no offensive or defensive system that was recogizable to me (and I've been playing for 40+ years) There was very little interaction with Texas during the season. Hopefully Dallas will have some input in putting coaches in place in all three locations so that AA players can transition to AAA and AAA to the NHL and all be on the same page. I know that is asking a lot but a guy can dream can't he?

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Just occurred to me that this situation really sucks for the Steelheads and Boise. Probably not going to be any training camp there now. Wonder if they'll give it another try in future years.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
Just occurred to me that this situation really sucks for the Steelheads and Boise. Probably not going to be any training camp there now. Wonder if they'll give it another try in future years.

My son set his college schedule to have Tues. nights off just so he could go to the game on the 25th. Guess now we can just play golf instead. The game wasn't sold out anyway since the Steelheads do zero productive marketing, but it would have been nice for the team and the city to have training camp here.

MetalGodAOD*

The Goalie Guild ‏@TheGoalieGuild

#Stars prospect Tyler Beskorowany allowed five goals on 30 shots in last night's 5-3 loss to Utah. Things not getting any easier for him.

yeah

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
All Besko stuff is going to go here.

That's disappointing, but just one game. I still hold out some hope for him. That's prospect goalies for you though, they'll break your heart.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Labrie assigned to Idaho.

Still think he could be playing for CP right now but the important thing is that he's getting games and not racking up the scratches.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Am I missing something here? I thought A.Smith was one of our better prospects in our pool after having solid seasons in the NCAA.

Primetimey*

I wouldn't say A. Smith is one of our better prospects. He is turning 24 in a couple weeks and at that age he should be miles ahead of the 19-20 year olds but he isn't.

Solid guy, but I don't think he will ever make the NHL full time.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Like I said in the AHL discussion ... the ECHL is probably the best place for him. If you're truly a Smith fan, that's where you'd want him too.

At the very best, he'd get Bottom 6 minutes in Texas. There's no way he's ahead of Eakin, Vincour, Smith , Chiasson or Fraser ... all are younger than him btw. Unfortunately ... they also didn't pay Petersen, Morin, and Wathier to be grinders. They clearly think their experience can help develop the kids or they wouldn't pay them the higher AHL salaries.

Austin Smith is now likely a Top 6 winger in the ECHL .... which is an even better league this year thanks to the lockout ... instead of playing limited, 4th line minutes in the AHL. It's no different that the calls some had for Vincour to return to the AHL for prime minutes rather than playing limited minutes in the NHL. For the most part or at least IMO, you develop better playing games in all situations. Smith gets that in the ECHL.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I just thought of this, and I honestly do hate to keep piling on because I like Austin Smith .... but this guy's life isn't going to get any easier.

Next year you have at least two more high profile prospects turning pro in Brett Ritchie and Matej Stransky. Alex Chiasson and R. Smith grabbed their opportunities to shine and performed well. The same just can't be said for Austin Smith at this time, and he really could be in danger of getting overtaken by younger and arguably better pro prospects.

Plus, I don't think you should overlook the fact the CHL and AHL agreement was only extended one year, and you have high profile GMs pushing to allow 19 year old draft picks into the AHL. There is a realistic possibility IMO that Faksa could be a Texas Star next season. Depending on how Winther performs this year .... he could have a chance as well if the rules change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad