Idaho Steelheads (ECHL) Discussion

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I think he's done enough to justify an AHL contract ... like 100 Degree went on to mention.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I would guess Besko will catch on somewhere else in the AHL whether that's with St. John's or wherever. I'd think also that Kiviaho would have priority over Lagace if there was only 1 spot in Boise left. But there may be room for both if the Steelheads are willing to roll with 2 rookies.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

I'm pretty surprised, but apparently the CHL and ECHL have completed the merger today effective immediately. The rumor was they'd get a deal done, and then next year merge. Behind the scenes though, the CHL is falling apart. Teams have gone bankrupt left and right, and I think there was some legitimate concern about them even being able to play this season.

This probably means Dallas' relationship with Idaho will end next season, and hopefully a new relationship with Allen happens.

At the same time, several teams can commit to send players to the same ECHL time. I imagine that means Dallas could also commit to send players elsewhere if they wanted.

Like I said in the goalie thread ... especially with this news ... I wouldn't be surprised if now Kiviaho ended up in Allen. That way they can monitor him closer, and he'd probably be the starter with no issue. Roy is going to block someone in Idaho ... let it be Lagace.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
I'm pretty surprised, but apparently the CHL and ECHL have completed the merger today effective immediately. The rumor was they'd get a deal done, and then next year merge.

Where'd you see that? Nothing mentioned on either league's page.

But yea, CHL has been falling apart and doing little to help it's teams since basically 2009.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Yeah there were a few other tweets as well. It would be awesome if this leads to some sort of lower league like the the SPHL (don't know if that league still exists or if there are other "single A" pro leagues still) in Texas with some of the old WPHL/CHL teams that went by the wayside. Just a bummer that such a vibrant minor league scene is Texas for several years in the 90's and aughts is dead now. Some are now in the NAHL but I think several of the markets could work with the lower expenses of a low league. Even better probably would be more of a NAHL expansion into Texas but that league already has a ton of teams.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
SPHL is still around. Lots of rumors still even three years after the fact that the Mudbugs will return there. I know the IceGators are in the SP, as are the Riverkings.

Completely agreed on the lower expenses remark.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Here in San Angelo a business owner who formerly owned the local indoor football team started an indoor league a few years ago(that just merged with another) and the owner of that version of the local team is Randy Sanders, who I believe owned a couple CHL teams and wanted to bring a CHL or NAHL team to San Angelo several years ago. Mayhap I should bring this idea up to them. Couldn't hurt.

Brand New Stars

Allen is officially part of the ECHL

Edit: nevermind. Talked about in the general hockey thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad