Ian Mitchell

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
It is what it is. I'm certainly not going to complain we have too many good young DMen in the system. That said, our blueline is wide open right now because collectively, the Hawks stunk it up last year.

With exception of Joker, Boqvist, and potentially Byram ... who should really scare Mitchell? I get Keith, but who really knows what it will be like in 2 years? Gus will be a UFA in 2020. Dahlstrom and Forsling aren't exactly ripping it up in the NHL. Seabrook is on the brink of a buyout. Beaudin and Murphy will probably be in the mix. Kids like Krys, Gilbert, and Carlsson aren't top tier prospects. There's still a lot of opportunity on the blueline.
no one knows what will happen whether injury or a player being traded...... as i keep saying let them all play themselves for a position in the big league.

except for Seabs. but i can see him as a person who can sit in the press box if his skills continue to diminish.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Hey uh Musto I guess I wasn’t spreading lies when I said Mitchell was giving conflicting signals about his readiness to sign. There was a report after all that he told a local announcer that he planned to return to Denver.

He was probably disillusioned that he would be lower on the depth chart after reading the pro byram threads anyways.
they play different sides...LD and RD respectively..

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Right there with you and I don't blame him. He and his agent will see Byram (if they do pick him), Boqvist, Jokiharju, Beaudin, Krys, Carlsson, Forsling, Dahlstrom, etc not to mention Keith and Seabrook are still there for another 4+ years and who knows with Gustafsson or even Murphy. Just alot of bodies there.
the only names he should be concerned with are Boqvist and Joker, outside of that the rest are LDs or just not good enough to block his path. Byram has little to no bearing on Mitchell overall IMO.

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
they play different sides...LD and RD respectively..
While true, the hawks may limit the number of rookies they play. So if byram is really all that he may squeeze out Mitchell because the hawks don’t want to play two rookies. If Mitchell isn’t playing with the hawks he will be at the rock.
Then the issue becomes whether it makes more sense for him to be on what I suspect is a free ride at Denver or making 70k at Rockford.

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
But a guy like Boqvist can play both sides, and having Byram on the left means Boqvist likely lining up on the right.
sure, but my point is Byram really has no barring on Mitchell..whatever side they want Boqvist to play is one thing, but Byram will not be competition for Mitchell. Joker and Boqvist are his competition, the rest are a couple of vets/who could get moved after next year and some other warm bodies. I am not going to speculate one ounce on why he didn't sign, just hope he is getting solid advise from his agents (aka family advisers), better than Kayes got because a spot was there for Kayes if he wanted to earn it when he turned pro.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
sure, but my point is Byram really has no barring on Mitchell..whatever side they want Boqvist to play is one thing, but Byram will not be competition for Mitchell. Joker and Boqvist are his competition, the rest are a couple of vets/who could get moved after next year and some other warm bodies. I am not going to speculate one ounce on why he didn't sign, just hope he is getting solid advise from his agents (aka family advisers), better than Kayes got because a spot was there for Kayes if he wanted to earn it when he turned pro.
It's adding another strong defensive prospect. There are 6 spots on defense and a ton of tough competition for the couple spots that won't be taken up by the veterans.

Why deal with any of that if you don't need to?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
It's adding another strong defensive prospect. There are 6 spots on defense and a ton of tough competition for the couple spots that won't be taken up by the veterans.

Why deal with any of that if you don't need to?
so are you saying he is afraid of competition? if that is truly the case, not sure I would want anyone like that. Kayes situation seemed a bit of him feeling hurt Hawks didn't sign him when he wanted to turn pro, so he paid us back which was his right but kind of showed his character. I have a hard time believing Mitchell is looking at our defense and being scared/worried/whatever over our depth chart. a spot is there for him to earn by end of next season...

Reactions: Giovi

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If the hawks wanted to sign him and to start paying him as a professional and he said no... the real fear should be in losing him the Kevin Hayes way.

Yep there should be concern

At this point Mitchell to me is a guy who can be trade bait going forward especially if we invest in another D in 1st round (Yes I know that Mitchell is righty and Byram is lefty)

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Yeah, it’s social life, women, and academic ease all surpass that of Harvard. It’s not like he’s not having any fun there outside of the classroom.

Students get into and stay at Harvard for the academics, and the opportunity to parlay that degree into an excellent post-grad job or a spot in a top notch graduate or medical school. Not quite the same level of expectations exist heading into the University of Denver, methinks.
That's kind of what I mean. Do you know if he is a social person, and is in to random hook ups and the party life? I have no idea. Maybe he is their to play hockey and get some kind of education? It is a top notch hockey school.

I'm sure the NHL life is pretty social, with lots of women, and more money, if he's that kind of person.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
so are you saying he is afraid of competition? if that is truly the case, not sure I would want anyone like that. Kayes situation seemed a bit of him feeling hurt Hawks didn't sign him when he wanted to turn pro, so he paid us back which was his right but kind of showed his character. I have a hard time believing Mitchell is looking at our defense and being scared/worried/whatever over our depth chart. a spot is there for him to earn by end of next season...
I'm saying no kid wants that competition.

Mitchell is a good prospect. But he's also a smart kid. Why go to an organization where he needs to potentially beat out not only the defenseman on the roster for ice time, but also Jokiharju, Boqvist, Beaudin, Krys, Carlsson, and potentially Byram? He can literally spend another year in college at that point and then get a spot in an NHL lineup the following season (and also get a college degree, but those are for losers who can't make it in the chel).

If I was in his shoes, I'd wait it out and hit free agency. Sucks to think about, but it's the truth.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I'm saying no kid wants that competition.

Mitchell is a good prospect. But he's also a smart kid. Why go to an organization where he needs to potentially beat out not only the defenseman on the roster for ice time, but also Jokiharju, Boqvist, Beaudin, Krys, Carlsson, and potentially Byram? He can literally spend another year in college at that point and then get a spot in an NHL lineup the following season (and also get a college degree, but those are for losers who can't make it in the chel).

If I was in his shoes, I'd wait it out and hit free agency. Sucks to think about, but it's the truth.
but again I just think you are making a bigger issue than what is really there. many of those names are just bodies, and yes it still matters that some of them play LD..I get what you are saying- I do, but it isn't like this is the Hurricanes and Fox where they have 4 legit top pairing dmen...we have 1 lol..and a number of those bodies will be moved over the next two years. I don't know what his reason is for not signing, but respectfully disagree, it isn't about the names listed IMO..

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Y'all need to cool it on trading Mitchell. This isn't the Adam Fox situation.

Us drafting Byram doesn't affect Mitchell in any way.

Did none of you read his quote?
I really want to stress that I want to play for the Blackhawks, and by no way is this is my intention to go through that free agency loophole. They put a lot of faith in me and developed me a ton, the Blackhawks have. I want to honor that, and it’s a fantastic organization and I want to play for them for a long time.”

He fully intends on signing here. He just doesn't feel he's ready yet. Let the kid gain the confidence he needs. Kill the trade talk.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
but again I just think you are making a bigger issue than what is really there. many of those names are just bodies, and yes it still matters that some of them play LD..I get what you are saying- I do, but it isn't like this is the Hurricanes and Fox where they have 4 legit top pairing dmen...we have 1 lol..and a number of those bodies will be moved over the next two years. I don't know what his reason is for not signing, but respectfully disagree, it isn't about the names listed IMO..
We'll certainly have to move some bodies. But Jokiharju has already started proving his worth defensively in the NHL and Boqvist is currently our top prospect. We're probably not moving them out. And we're certainly not going to remove every current defenseman we have not named Keith (Seabrook will stay, but hopefully just be benched for future seasons).

Guys like Mitchell and Beaudin are the most likely candidates to be moved (even before Mitchell decided to head back to college), along with one of Gus/Murphy in the near future.

We just don't have the roster spots for everybody and Mitchell likely knows that.
I swear some people just disregard what Ian Mitchell said...

He didn't say that he'd definitely sign. His comments were more positive than some who have gone to free agency (whether they be prospects in college or full on NHLers), but there have been plenty that have also said all the right things only to up and leave at the last minute.

Somewhat different situations, but Tavares strung the Islanders along all season only to become a free agent and bolt to his hometown team. There are countless others who've pulled the same move. It happens too often to feel safe about.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I respect the kid for putting out the media fire before it started and giving a very straightforward answer. Unless the kid is just nuts then he's clearly telling the truth and his reasons are understandable/impressive. Joki being pissed and ready to have a big offseason and Mitchell saying he wants to be the best player on the ice every night and be more than just a top 4 guy, plus Boqvy... Hawks just might have some gems on their hands.

Last edited:

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Oh damn I didn’t know that
NCAA is very picky about that sorta thing. From what I can remember, there are even rules against prospects being able to spend more than a day or two in training camp with their NHL organization.

It's also the reason why you never see players get 10 (ish) NHL games and then go back to the NCAA. It's not allowed.

Reactions: Blackhawks

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
yep, CHL kids get to sign their ELC and still play in that league, NCAA of course is ****ing archaic and slave laborers who frown upon that **** lol...
giphy.gif

The character Eric Cartman is talking to a college dean and asking about how they get the college athletes to be their slaves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad