Value of: Iafallo to Avs

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Even with that he’s still almost 3 million for 3 years - and he’s 35!

No way are the Avs going on the hook for a 37 year old goalie coating them 3 million.

Quick for two more seasons at $2.9 million cap, and only $1.5 million in real salary, is a pretty good deal. Especially if the Kings are taking some salary back.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Quick for two more seasons at $2.9 million cap, and only $1.5 million in real salary, is a pretty good deal. Especially if the Kings are taking some salary back.

The cap space is all I care about. It’s not a good deal at all. It’s a bad deal.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
$2.9m on a backup goalie is bit much for Colorado's cap structure. Maybe it could work if LA take a contract back like Compher, but it seems like a trade just for the sake of a trade rather than something that would actively help the Avs.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Hypothetically, would LA do Iafallo (50% retained) + STL 2nd/LAK 3rd for COL 1st?

It's basically the Goodrow deal, where the fact that Iafallo is a better player than Goodrow is balanced by the fact that he only has 1 year term.

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Hypothetically, would LA do Iafallo (50% retained) + STL 2nd/LAK 3rd for COL 1st?

It's basically the Goodrow deal, where the fact that Iafallo is a better player than Goodrow is balanced by the fact that he only has 1 year term.
I think its close make it toronto's 3rd (which i think we have from the clifford /campbell trade) and Iafallo for Col 1st would be closer however if the kings are in the playoff race which i see them being all trades are off.

Reactions: Richard88

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
No reason to trade Iafallo yet, unless it is in a package for a massive upgrade (like #2LD or first line goal scorer).
He is mostly underrated even among us Kings fans but the players and and management know his value. He is going to be resigned, we need bridge players untill the next wave of prospects are ready to step up.

Here is a fun fact:

Avs first line combined for: 39 pts.
Kings first line combined for: 47pts

For a rebuilding team that is finally playing in some meaniful games that is pretty sweet to see, and Iafallo is a part of that rebuilding.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
No reason to trade Iafallo yet, unless it is in a package for a massive upgrade (like #2LD or first line goal scorer).
He is mostly underrated even among us Kings fans but the players and and management know his value. He is going to be resigned, we need bridge players untill the next wave of prospects are ready to step up.

Here is a fun fact:

For a rebuilding team that is finally playing in some meaniful games that is pretty sweet to see, and Iafallo is a part of that rebuilding.

Kings top line has played 48 combined games, Avs top line had played 39 for context.

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
Kings top line has played 48 combined games, Avs top line had played 39 for context.

No question that first Avs line should be dominating by season's end. My point was Iafallo is a part of the Kings first line success that is doing pretty well right now.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019

Here is a fun fact:

5v5 scoring:

Iafallo + Kopitar + Brown = 21 points combined in 16 games at 5v5 (average of 214 minutes played between them)

Landeskog + Mackinnon + Rantanen = 26 points in 12-14 games (average 191 minutes played between them).

The Avs trio have scored 5 more points with an average of 23 minutes less TOI each. In other words they're scoring 23.8% more with 11% less icetime.

upload_2021-2-21_16-52-56.png

upload_2021-2-21_16-53-29.png

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
Jesus, are all Avs fans this sensitive that they need to pull out stat sheets. We all know that the Avs have the better first line by far. I guess you missed the point, so I'll try again. Unless Alex is traded for an upgrade were are not trading him, because his is producing on the Kings first line that in general is kinda clicking and has been for a few years.

Reactions: go4hockey

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Jesus, are all Avs fans this sensitive that they need to pull out stat sheets. We all know that the Avs have the better first line by far. I guess you missed the point, so I'll try again. Unless Alex is traded for an upgrade were are not trading him, because his is producing on the Kings first line that in general is kinda clicking and has been for a few years.

LAK fan: *presents a misleading fact*

Avs fan: *presents a counterargument using nothing but statistics*

LAK fan: "Avs fans are so sensitive"

:laugh:

Seriously though I take your point that Iafallo is important to the LAK's top 6, and that he'll likely resign, and that's fine. Thanks for your feedback on my suggestion, much appreciated.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Seriously though I take your point that Iafallo is important to the LAK's top 6, and that he'll likely resign, and that's fine. Thanks for your feedback on my suggestion, much appreciated.

I'd probably do it begrudgingly, which tells me the value is fair--but as pointed out, it's a tough situation for LA, with no immediate replacement and the team really firing on all cylinders in large part due to the top line.

AI is now scoring at an over 60 point pace (which isn't absurd given his career trajectory even on bad la teams) and I think he has great value as a puck digging complementary guy who can play well with elite players, and unless Blake thinks Turcotte/JAD or someone similar is ready for that, it's a tough trade to make

Reactions: Richard88

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
LAK fan: *presents a misleading fact*

Avs fan: *presents a counterargument using nothing but statistics*

LAK fan: "Avs fans are so sensitive"

:laugh:

What’s an Avs deal for Staal (with Buffalo) look like?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I'd probably do it begrudgingly, which tells me the value is fair--but as pointed out, it's a tough situation for LA, with no immediate replacement and the team really firing on all cylinders in large part due to the top line.

AI is now scoring at an over 60 point pace (which isn't absurd given his career trajectory even on bad la teams) and I think he has great value as a puck digging complementary guy who can play well with elite players, and unless Blake thinks Turcotte/JAD or someone similar is ready for that, it's a tough trade to make

If the Kings can work out a deal before the trade deadline, I agree it makes more sense to keep him. Personally I think it makes more sense to overpay a bit to keep Iafallo on the Kings if that's what needed.

But the last thing rebuilding teams should do is let assets walk for nothing.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
If the Kings can work out a deal before the trade deadline, I agree it makes more sense to keep him. Personally I think it makes more sense to overpay a bit to keep Iafallo on the Kings if that's what needed.

But the last thing rebuilding teams should do is let assets walk for nothing.

If not for the expansion I would agree. I think they try and have a hand shake agreement they sign right after the expansion draft.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
No question that first Avs line should be dominating by season's end. My point was Iafallo is a part of the Kings first line success that is doing pretty well right now.

Don’t disagree, just think it was a bit misleading comparison without context. He’s also had a career high of 43 points and has the least amount of points of the three players on that line so far this season. So is he really that good or being carried by his linemates?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

They are currently 5th in the West in P%, but not far behind Minnesota, and seem to be playing well. But, the Blues, Avs and Knights are 12 of their next 18 games, plus 2 in Minnesota, so we'll probably have a clearer idea of whether they'll be a playoff team before the TDL. That might help with the decision making.

He's also a pending UFA, so they could plausibly trade him to go get some playoff experience (assuming they are out), and then sign him back in the off-season for next season. Obviously, that's a risky play, but it might be an option. Get a pick + prospect at the TDL, and get him on the roster for next season.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Would Lizotte be a legitimate alterantive for Colorado at 3C?

His possession stats since the start of the 2019/20 season (copied below) put him at 22nd in the league among centers in Corsi so he seems reasonably adept at driving play. He's also 50.5% on faceoffs in his career so far.

The lack of offensive production (eg. just 2 goals at 5v5 in 65 games last season) isn't great, nor is his 5'7'' size, but perhaps he could be effective as a playdriver nonetheless?

From LAK's perspective they have an abundance of centers (Kopitar, Vilardi, Turcotte, Kupari, Byfield, etc) so it seems inevitable that Lizotte will be moved on at some point.

Perhaps Colorado could consider both Lizotte + Iafallo as a solution to the 3rd line. What would the cost for the pair of them be? And what's the price for Lizotte on his own?

upload_2021-2-22_16-11-30.png

upload_2021-2-22_16-11-54.png

Last edited:

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Would Lizotte be a legitimate alterantive for Colorado at 3C?

His possession stats since the start of the 2019/20 season (copied below) put him at 22nd in the league among centers in Corsi so he seems reasonably adept at driving play. He's also 50.5% on faceoffs in his career so far.

The lack of offensive production (eg. just 2 goals at 5v5 in 65 games last season) isn't great, nor is his 5'7'' size, but perhaps he could be effective as a playdriver nonetheless?

From LAK's perspective they have an abundance of centers (Kopitar, Vilardi, Turcotte, Kupari, Byfield, etc) so it seems inevitable that Lizotte will be moved on at some point.

Perhaps Colorado could consider both Lizotte + Iafallo as a solution to the 3rd line. What would the cost for the pair of them be? And what's the price for Lizotte on his own?

View attachment 399144

View attachment 399146

I like lizotte, but im not sure that hes a 3c on a contender.

Whenever I watch lizotte im reminded of the little train that could, "I think i can, i think i can"

Great heart but probably just too small. Hes a great place holder for us, but will probably get beaten out of the squad by some of our top prospects.

We probably dont want to move him, hes a likeable kid, but valuewise, probably an early 3rd round pick.

For both i'd ask for a late 1st+ a middling prospect. It really depends on if Blake sees Eieio as a longterm part or not.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I like lizotte, but im not sure that hes a 3c on a contender.

Whenever I watch lizotte im reminded of the little train that could, "I think i can, i think i can"

Great heart but probably just too small. Hes a great place holder for us, but will probably get beaten out of the squad by some of our top prospects.

We probably dont want to move him, hes a likeable kid, but valuewise, probably an early 3rd round pick.

For both i'd ask for a late 1st+ a middling prospect. It really depends on if Blake sees Eieio as a longterm part or not.
Thanks, good answer.

I agree that he's not really ideal as a 3C. Perfect sort of player for a rebuilding team though, sort of like Kerfoot and Anderighetto in Colorado a couple of years ago. They can do a job in your top 6/3rd line but eventually you'll want to move them on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad