Value of: Iafallo to Avs

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
As Kings fan I can 100% agree with the bolded.. The flaw to that logic is that the UFA you may be seeking will have zero impact on this upcoming playoffs. Another year of getting bounced from playoffs early is not what the Avs expect. While Iafallo may not get a 1st from the Avs, he could surely get a Graves straight up or a Jost+2nd or any combination of player/pick(s). The Kings are in the drivers seat here, simply by having a player that's currently inexpensive, relatively young, our ability to retain salary and what's sure to be a robust market for an undervalued but much sought after type of player that can play up and down your lineup with the same effectiveness.

The Avs don’t have a 2nd this year or next year.

The only thing that makes sense for the Avs is Compher/Donskoi and a third. If not one Compher/Donskoi, the Avs have 4 players on the 3rd line. Anymore than that and the valuation is off.

I’m not even sure I buy that the premise of this. As I said before, I think LAK might be leaking this to get more out of a different team (ie not the Avs).

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I agree with you on all accounts, including the Graves and/or Jost+pick value, which is what I was hinting at with the "rental type deal", but I failed to provide any examples. I also would understand if Kings fans think he's worth re-signing over a rental type trade. Good post, totally agree.
Thanks for the kind word Sir!
I just feel like the Kings are in a very unique situation. He have our Team playing ok, kids who we thought would need to be eased into the AHL are down right dominating, kids who we thought would be in Juniors are playing in the AHL and one just made his NHL debut and of course he would score a goal..
Guess what i'm trying to say is if the Kings dealt Iafallo, it might not be for futures but rather a young plug and play type guy.. Do the Avs have that to offer or even want to, I dont know, but that's where I assume the Kings are heading.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Iafallo is playing the hardest minutes and matchups on the Kings next to Kopitar, he's improved every year of his career so far despite the dumpster fire of a team around him and has been scoring at about a 50-point pace since the beginning of 2019-2020 on an absolute basement offense. He was LA's 2nd highest scorer last year.

I get if the Avs aren't exactly hot for him but LA also has no need to get rid of him so Compher (who does nothing for the Kings) and a 4th is a joke offer. Edit: I see Compher/Donskoi and a 3rd and that's in a similar vein, but at least not insulting, just doesn't seem to account for LA's needs at all. Kings would likely just flip or ride out either guy, and a 3rd isn't exactly a significant sweetener.

Most of the other stuff has been good. As I pointed out, the Avs extremely late 1st and a middling prospect or a very strong prospect in an area of need + another pick would be traditional deadline value. Anything less, and I don't see any reason LA is motivated to move him. There's no one ready to replace his minutes and production right this moment, that's for sure.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
How can that be fair when Graves is signed for two more seasons after this year and Iafallo is a pending UFA?

if all that matter is term than players like Lucic would have great value.

The reason would be because Iafallo holds greater value than Graves in that offer.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Man would it be great if Iafallo could get a 1st.

I would be more interested to see what LA would have to add to get Timmins. I know LA is deep on the side but I think Timmons will be better than who LA has

Last edited by a moderator:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Iafallo is playing the hardest minutes and matchups on the Kings next to Kopitar, he's improved every year of his career so far despite the dumpster fire of a team around him and has been scoring at about a 50-point pace since the beginning of 2019-2020 on an absolute basement offense. He was LA's 2nd highest scorer last year.

I get if the Avs aren't exactly hot for him but LA also has no need to get rid of him so Compher (who does nothing for the Kings) and a 4th is a joke offer. Edit: I see Compher/Donskoi and a 3rd and that's in a similar vein, but at least not insulting, just doesn't seem to account for LA's needs at all. Kings would likely just flip or ride out either guy, and a 3rd isn't exactly a significant sweetener.

Most of the other stuff has been good. As I pointed out, the Avs extremely late 1st and a middling prospect or a very strong prospect in an area of need + another pick would be traditional deadline value. Anything less, and I don't see any reason LA is motivated to move him. There's no one ready to replace his minutes and production right this moment, that's for sure.

AVs need a 3C and doubt they have any interest besides tossing a 4th or 5th.

Iafallo is a LW and pending UFA. He does nothing for the AVs and would be playing 3rd line minutes. Proposal is to swap a 3rd line - Compher for a similar player. Yet, he doesn't fill their need at 3C, so there is little interest. He has more value to the LAK, but don't expect to feel insulted in the proposal.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
AVs need a 3C and doubt they have any interest besides tossing a 4th or 5th.

Iafallo is a LW and pending UFA. He does nothing for the AVs and would be playing 3rd line minutes. Proposal is to swap a 3rd line - Compher for a similar player. Yet, he doesn't fill their need at 3C, so there is little interest. He has more value to the LAK, but don't expect to feel insulted in the proposal.

Saying 'he doesn't fit our needs' isn't insulting in any manner. That's very reasonable.

Saying 'he's worth a 4th' is an insulting offer for a 40-50 point player.

Combining them both and saying "he doesn't fit our needs but we'll take him off your hands for a 4th + whatever" is a used car sale (you're not doing this, just pointing out how the thread is going) and a quintessential HF Trade "what's the value of x? *says value* lol that guy is garbage anyway, we don't want him for anything more than a 7th and a taco" thread.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
if all that matter is term than players like Lucic would have great value.

The reason would be because Iafallo holds greater value than Graves in that offer.

That is a bad analogy IMO. I doubt anyone would compare Graves and his contract to Lucic at the time he was traded.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Colorado is not trading a defenseman under contract for a couple of more years for a pending UFA forward who would be lucky to play 12 minutes per game on its third or fourth line.

That really is some ridiculous logic, but it is to be expected on these boards every year about this time.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Saying 'he doesn't fit our needs' isn't insulting in any manner. That's very reasonable.

Saying 'he's worth a 4th' is an insulting offer for a 40-50 point player.

Combining them both and saying "he doesn't fit our needs but we'll take him off your hands for a 4th + whatever" is a used car sale (you're not doing this, just pointing out how the thread is going) and a quintessential HF Trade "what's the value of x? *says value* lol that guy is garbage anyway, we don't want him for anything more than a 7th and a taco" thread.

What did you expect a reasonable offer for player they don’t need? Mortgage the future for a UFA to play on the 3rd line. He is not better than Landry or Bura. Getting a 4th is generous to absorb his contract to on the 3rd line.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What did you expect a reasonable offer for player they don’t need? Mortgage the future for a UFA to play on the 3rd line. He is not better than Landry or Bura. Getting a 4th is generous to absorb his contract to on the 3rd line.

If you're the one making the offer, yes, I expect a reasonable offer.

We weren't offering him, maybe you need to check the premise of the thread.

We said even last week that the Kings don't have a 3C for the Avs, we're well aware we can't take care of the Avs needs.

And then I see you went ahead with the used car sale anyway, so shrug, have fun with that.

Last edited:

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020

You are talking like it was a kings fan that was making deal . It was a Avalanche fan that heard it from his "insider friend" that your team was interest. Your issue on the need is with him not king fans. We are only dealing with what we want not why u want him.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
If you're the one making the offer, yes, I expect a reasonable offer.

We weren't offering him, maybe you need to check the premise of the thread.

We said even last week that the Kings don't have a 3C for the Avs, we're well aware we can't take care of the Avs needs.

And then I see you went ahead with the used car sale anyway, so shrug, have fun with that.

Listen up dummy, the Avs need a 3C and the only reasonable offer that I can even think of here is Kopitar at 50% retained for Greg Pateryn, final offer.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Okay, realistically how about something like Helleson + 2021 3rd for Iafallo?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Okay, realistically how about something like Helleson + 2021 3rd for Iafallo?

I don't see the Avs moving Barron or Helleson unless they absolutely have to - my guess is Sakic will try and keep both in hopes that one of them can replace EJ's role in ~2 years from now.

Timmins is the most likely defenseman to get traded, as he isn't going to be playing ahead of any of Makar, Toews/Girard, or EJ and should have plenty of interest being a RHD plus expansion exempt. If Sakic is high on Iafallo (personally don't see it, but who knows) then it would be some other combination of middle 6 forwards, picks, or prospects (excluding Barron + Helleson).

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Thanks for the kind word Sir!
I just feel like the Kings are in a very unique situation. He have our Team playing ok, kids who we thought would need to be eased into the AHL are down right dominating, kids who we thought would be in Juniors are playing in the AHL and one just made his NHL debut and of course he would score a goal..
Guess what i'm trying to say is if the Kings dealt Iafallo, it might not be for futures but rather a young plug and play type guy.. Do the Avs have that to offer or even want to, I dont know, but that's where I assume the Kings are heading.
Martin Kaut could be a fit.

I'd be more open to that if Iafallo had one more year under contract though.

As others have pointed out as well, adding another winger to the bottom 6 doesn't really solve a problem as the Avs have too many bottom 6 wingers as it is, and no 3C.

Maybe something like Kaut + Compher for Iafallo + Lizotte could work position wise though, since Avs would add a C as well. Not sure if the value is fair there?

Nichuskin --- Lizotte --- Donskoi
Iafallo ------- Bellemare -- Jost

It doesn't seem like the right trade though. Lizotte is more of a 4C, and Iafallo is a bit wasted on the 4th line and wouldn't be worth giving up Kaut if he's only playing a limited role. A straight swap of a winger for a 3C makes far more sense.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Iafallo was our 2nd leading scorer last year. He has gotten more points each year hes played. Kopitar loves playing with him. I think the kings would try to resign him if thats all they can get. The last thing the kings need is another center.

thread is specific about iaf to avs
value is impacted by other suitors

could see Rangers maybe if value works for a W

does OP want to extend thread parameters, or keep as specified?

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
thread is specific about iaf to avs
value is impacted by other suitors

could see Rangers maybe if value works for a W

does OP want to extend thread parameters, or keep as specified?
Why would Rangers want another winger? They're already loaded there with Panarin, Kaako, Lafreniere, Kreider, Kravtsov, and Buchevnich.

Ironically Rangers would probably have been better off with a C like Byfield, and LA could have done with a forward like Lafreniere. Whatever the case they'd probably make good trade partners at some point as LA needs forwards and NYR need C's.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Why would Rangers want another winger? They're already loaded there with Panarin, Kaako, Lafreniere, Kreider, Kravtsov, and Buchevnich.

Ironically Rangers would probably have been better off with a C like Byfield, and LA could have done with a forward like Lafreniere. Whatever the case they'd probably make good trade partners at some point as LA needs forwards and NYR need C's.

don't want this to go off OP thread topic but short courtesy reply is something around Iafallo + for Buch.
F for an F, fair value sought, NY adds a tad to pivot depth and more important, swaps out a player approaching end of rfa for more cost controlled asset(s).

NY has Kravtsov, and I predict given the chance he will cut it as pivot, also Morgan Barron is a C who will be here next yr.
But as we can see an F who can also pivot = added benefit from versatility as Chytil atm and anyone can get hurt.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
don't want this to go off OP thread topic but short courtesy reply is something around Iafallo + for Buch.
F for an F, fair value sought, NY adds a tad to pivot depth and more important, swaps out a player approaching end of rfa for more cost controlled asset(s).

NY has Kravtsov, and I predict given the chance he will cut it as pivot, also Morgan Barron is a C who will be here next yr.
But as we can see an F who can also pivot = added benefit from versatility as Chytil atm and anyone can get hurt.
How is swapping Buchevnich (an RFA) for Iafallo (an UFA) adding more cost controlled assets?

That's literally the opposite of adding a cost controlled asset.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
How is swapping Buchevnich (an RFA) for Iafallo (an UFA) adding more cost controlled assets?

That's literally the opposite of adding a cost controlled asset.

1. I cannot emphasize this enuf, I did not say 1:1, I said something around and spec. Iafallo + [EMPHASIZE PLUS].
Presumably these are futures acceptable to NY which are cost controlled adds.

2. Hopefully Iafallo can do a short term deal for a reasonable #, but if not, flip him vs lose for nothing.
Again, look at futures.

Buch is 3.25 that he deserves and is gonna want more but expect like 4.5-4.75 min. In cap tight scenario this yr/next coupla seasons, would rather plan now and not have to squeeze later if that can be avoided.

Conversely, if Iafallo 2.425 would max 3.75-4, short term deal, that works for NY, esp since we would have more roster flexibility due to increased pivot depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->