Value of: Iafallo to Avs

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
There's a million of Iafallos' every year on the free agency market, why would the Avs give up pieces for someone they can sign as a free?

The sense I get is the Avs are suffering long term injuries to Bellemare and Calvert and aren’t quite ready to give Kaut and Bowers ice time, his name is out there because they want more experience in their winger depth.

I know they’ve liked Iafallo for a few years now, and one thing about the Avs is they always get their guy.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I mention it every time, but Sakic has never traded a first round pick in his tenure with the Avs. You have to go back nearly ten years ago since the Avs last tradeded a first round pick. Sakic has traded second round picks like candy, but that has generally been the highest value asset that he has traded.

Iafallo would be a pure rental, so I am not sure that he would fetch a first round pick plus a recent first round pick (Barron). That price seems very high based on what we have seen for pending UFA rentals in recent years.

Reactions: IWantSakicAsMyGM

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
The sense I get is the Avs are suffering long term injuries to Bellemare and Calvert and aren’t quite ready to give Kaut and Bowers ice time, his name is out there because they want more experience in their winger depth.

I know they’ve liked Iafallo for a few years now, and one thing about the Avs is they always get their guy.
Avs are fine on the wings. O'Connor has been the best bottom 6 forward in the last couple of games.

Iafallo would be nice and I'm sure the Avs like him as a player, but we simply don't have a need for more middle 6 wingers right now. 3C is by far the biggest need.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Blake has openly stated that now that the season has started, they will explore/try to sign Iafallo to an extension. If the knock on Iafallo is that he's a UFA, this is the counter to that. Iafallo may not be a UFA for much longer.

Reactions: deaderhead28

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Don't let this brutal Kings team fool you. Iafallo is a real good hockey player and his next contract will be good value. He's essentially Justin Williams without the grizzled veteran leadership. He's a glue player who works hard every shift, always goes to the hard areas of the ice, and can skate, shoot, and pass pretty well. He was a heck of a college find.

The Kings probably shouldn't trade him. He is one of those guys that can play anywhere in the lineup and even as "better" prospects join the team, he'll be looked at for guidance and leadership and remain in the lineup. He's a sneaky choice to make Team USA too.

I mentioned this before but if he was traded, Colorado is a great landing spot, in part because I'm a closet Avalanche fan! Perhaps something around Iafallo (extended and retained perhaps?) and Timmins would make sense. Colorado and LA might both benefit from a trade around Quick and Johnson as well, but I'll wait to hear from Avalanche fans on that one.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Avs should for sure look into cal petersen or quick while they are at it. Both are a good insurance policy if grubauer gets hurt and also could possibly steal a starting role from him.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
First+mediocre prospect or Barron+later pick is more appropriate.

Avs first would be super late so 1st isn't as crazy as some are making it sound. I agree with either of these but then again I'm high on Barron. And those line up with 'typical' deadline deals (i.e. Toffoli for Madden +2 2nd)

Last edited:

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
unfortunately an extended Iaffallo is probably less valuable to the Avs because that would require him to be protected or potentially lost in the expansion draft. A deal would need to be a rental type deal which may not work for the Kings. I wouldn't give up a 1st or a top 5 organizational prospect for Iafallo, he may be worth that to some teams, but 27 year olds averaging below 0.5pts per game can be found in free agency without giving up 1sts and top tier prospects.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
A 1st and a prospect might be a little much, but it's a heckuva lot closer than this. I mean, why start a thread about a guy if you are going to offer junk for him?

I didn’t start the thread because I want him. Read what I actually said before putting words in my mouth.[/QUOTE]
"What would it take?"

Pardon everyone for thinking you were asking about what it would take to get a guy and why your ridiculous offer is ridiculous.

So HF- Ask for value... get told... complain that it's not what you thought.

If you wanted to just think to yourself what the value was and didn't really care what others thought, then you shouldn't have asked in the 1st place. You should have just remained content in your own oblivious ignorance.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Without a full evaluation by the Kings management of the roster,very few players would be available at this time.
Kempe, Mikey anderson and matt roy probably off limits also. But who on the roster needs evaluation? Grundstrom and lias andersson maybe? Most of these guys have been here a bit now

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Graves and a 2nd?
Obviously a guy like Girard would solve a lot of issues for the Kings. Not saying a Iafallo is worth that but he’d be a serious interest to the Kings. Graves a 2nd and maybe a guy like O’Connor could be of interest to the Kings for Iafallo and an AHL contract to send back? The issue I’m seeing is the looming expansion draft.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Obviously a guy like Girard would solve a lot of issues for the Kings. Not saying a Iafallo is worth that but he’d be a serious interest to the Kings. Graves a 2nd and maybe a guy like O’Connor could be of interest to the Kings for Iafallo and an AHL contract to send back? The issue I’m seeing is the looming expansion draft.

Ha ha! I bet!

:laugh:

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
unfortunately an extended Iaffallo is probably less valuable to the Avs because that would require him to be protected or potentially lost in the expansion draft. A deal would need to be a rental type deal which may not work for the Kings. I wouldn't give up a 1st or a top 5 organizational prospect for Iafallo, he may be worth that to some teams, but 27 year olds averaging below 0.5pts per game can be found in free agency without giving up 1sts and top tier prospects.

As Kings fan I can 100% agree with the bolded.. The flaw to that logic is that the UFA you may be seeking will have zero impact on this upcoming playoffs. Another year of getting bounced from playoffs early is not what the Avs expect. While Iafallo may not get a 1st from the Avs, he could surely get a Graves straight up or a Jost+2nd or any combination of player/pick(s). The Kings are in the drivers seat here, simply by having a player that's currently inexpensive, relatively young, our ability to retain salary and what's sure to be a robust market for an undervalued but much sought after type of player that can play up and down your lineup with the same effectiveness.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
As Kings fan I can 100% agree with the bolded.. The flaw to that logic is that the UFA you may be seeking will have zero impact on this upcoming playoffs. Another year of getting bounced from playoffs early is not what the Avs expect. While Iafallo may not get a 1st from the Avs, he could surely get a Graves straight up or a Jost+2nd or any combination of player/pick(s). The Kings are in the drivers seat here, simply by having a player that's currently inexpensive, relatively young, our ability to retain salary and what's sure to be a robust market for an undervalued but much sought after type of player that can play up and down your lineup with the same effectiveness.
I agree with you on all accounts, including the Graves and/or Jost+pick value, which is what I was hinting at with the "rental type deal", but I failed to provide any examples. I also would understand if Kings fans think he's worth re-signing over a rental type trade. Good post, totally agree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->