Value of: Iafallo to Avs

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I like lizotte, but im not sure that hes a 3c on a contender.

Whenever I watch lizotte im reminded of the little train that could, "I think i can, i think i can"

Great heart but probably just too small. Hes a great place holder for us, but will probably get beaten out of the squad by some of our top prospects.

We probably dont want to move him, hes a likeable kid, but valuewise, probably an early 3rd round pick.

For both i'd ask for a late 1st+ a middling prospect. It really depends on if Blake sees Eieio as a longterm part or not.

I would take a 3rd for Lizotte. I agree with his work ethic and the think I can comparison.

Reactions: Mats26

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Don’t disagree, just think it was a bit misleading comparison without context. He’s also had a career high of 43 points and has the least amount of points of the three players on that line so far this season. So is he really that good or being carried by his linemates?

Iafallo reminds me of the impact that Pascal Dupuis had playing with Sid. For some reason a certain mix of players have chemisty even though the talent levels are not on the same tier. Kopi put up 92 pts, his career best with Iafallo as his LW. He just does all the little things that go unnoticed so the big guys can do their thing. His biggest asset is that he can play a disciplined 200ft game. His scoring is trending up too, got to think he could hit 40pts this year which will be amazing for him...and his agent :)

If your trading for him to be a line driver, you will be disappointed.

Expect a 200ft player that can play in all situations, ideally middle 6 but can move up if needed and play with the top line, PK\PP and won't hurt you on the ice.

Last edited:

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Hypothetically, would LA do Iafallo (50% retained) + STL 2nd/LAK 3rd for COL 1st?

It's basically the Goodrow deal, where the fact that Iafallo is a better player than Goodrow is balanced by the fact that he only has 1 year term.

Not sure what the purpose of 50% retain is, but i am also not against it.
Anyways, the Kings picks are off limits. So Iafallo 50% for Col 1st would be a more than fair offer

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
$2.9m on a backup goalie is bit much for Colorado's cap structure. Maybe it could work if LA take a contract back like Compher, but it seems like a trade just for the sake of a trade rather than something that would actively help the Avs.

Quick would be your starter goalie.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Would Lizotte be a legitimate alterantive for Colorado at 3C?

His possession stats since the start of the 2019/20 season (copied below) put him at 22nd in the league among centers in Corsi so he seems reasonably adept at driving play. He's also 50.5% on faceoffs in his career so far.

The lack of offensive production (eg. just 2 goals at 5v5 in 65 games last season) isn't great, nor is his 5'7'' size, but perhaps he could be effective as a playdriver nonetheless?

From LAK's perspective they have an abundance of centers (Kopitar, Vilardi, Turcotte, Kupari, Byfield, etc) so it seems inevitable that Lizotte will be moved on at some point.

Perhaps Colorado could consider both Lizotte + Iafallo as a solution to the 3rd line. What would the cost for the pair of them be? And what's the price for Lizotte on his own?

View attachment 399144

View attachment 399146

I love Lizotte because he’s all heart, but you don’t want him as a 3c. He’s much better as the plucky 4c that can cause chaos on the forecheck occasionally. Due to his size he does have some issues getting pushed off the puck in the offensive zone which hurts that lines scoring chances.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Not sure what the purpose of 50% retain is, but i am also not against it.
Anyways, the Kings picks are off limits. So Iafallo 50% for Col 1st would be a more than fair offer
Avs are tight against the cap, hence the 50% retention. If given a choice between a 3rd or 50% retention I'd take the 3rd.

50% retention isn't even that much when you consider that only 22% of salary is due after the deadline. So 50% retention is basically only $247,500 in real salary retained (22% of 50% of $2.25m).

Keep in mind that not a single player who was a pending UFA got a 1st at last years deadline. All the deadline trades involving 1sts were for players with term. Iafallo might be worth a 1st, but with only 5-6 1st round picks moved on average - and mainly for players with extra term, it might not be realistic to expect a 1st.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I love Lizotte because he’s all heart, but you don’t want him as a 3c. He’s much better as the plucky 4c that can cause chaos on the forecheck occasionally. Due to his size he does have some issues getting pushed off the puck in the offensive zone which hurts that lines scoring chances.
Makes sense. Thanks for the honest assessment.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Well one of them is playing the Avalanche and one is playing for the Kings.
Maybe that impacts those numbers?

I don't think the guy meant any disrespect. Quick is on the downhill of his career. Looked great last night and is still capable of that but at this point Grubauer is more consistent.

Reactions: Richard88

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
I don't think the guy meant any disrespect. Quick is on the downhill of his career. Looked great last night and is still capable of that but at this point Grubauer is more consistent.
Still if i had to win a game/series id still take Quick 10/10 times way more proven. Quick has never had that good of a offense in front of him. He would win games like Kelly Hrudy did for the kings back in the day

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Well one of them is playing the Avalanche and one is playing for the Kings.
Maybe that impacts those numbers?
I agree that sv% and GAA can be very influenced by team defense. But there are also stats like GSAA and HDSV% that are a little bit less dependent on team defense and captures an individual goalies performance reasonably well. Grubauer is top 2 in both of those categories.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Still if i had to win a game/series id still take Quick 10/10 times way more proven. Quick has never had that good of a offense in front of him. He would win games like Kelly Hrudy did for the kings back in the day

No doubt...If we somehow make the playoffs and he pulls another 1.55GAA like he did against Vegas in the playoffs, we are winning the series with this current squad. Age\stamina is still a factor but competiviness and will are still in him.

Reactions: KingTech

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
No doubt...If we somehow make the playoffs and he pulls another 1.55GAA like he did against Vegas in the playoffs, we are winning the series with this current squad. Age\stamina is still a factor but competiviness and will are still in him.
If LA make the playoffs as the 4th seed I'd almost prefer if the Avs finished 2nd and faced the Blues in round 1. LAK are just a terrible match for the Avs style-wise going back many years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->