Friedman: I wonder if the Islanders take a look at Robin Lehner

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Thats why we are offering two 2nds+Greiss for Lehner. You clear Halak contract next off-season and get a cheap 1m backup goalie. Net cap spend on goalies goes down, quality goes up. You have more money left for the Tavareses and Baileys of the world...again at the cost of two 2nd round picks. And this season you have Lehner and Halak for a run at playoffs. IMO it is fair value. Trust me, I don't want Greiss on my team at 3mil+, but if we get some upgraded picks in return than what we would normally get for Lehner, I'd let it pass.

So you would flush 3.3 in cap space down the toilet next year (cap space that could be used to improve the team)... for a 2nd rounder?

Weird

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Thats why we are offering two 2nds+Greiss for Lehner. You clear Halak contract next off-season and get a cheap 1m backup goalie. Net cap spend on goalies goes down, quality goes up. You have more money left for the Tavareses and Baileys of the world...again at the cost of two 2nd round picks. And this season you have Lehner and Halak for a run at playoffs. IMO it is fair value. Trust me, I don't want Greiss on my team at 3mil+, but if we get some upgraded picks in return than what we would normally get for Lehner, I'd let it pass.
but next year Halak will be gone and Soderstrom will be on an ELC, so Greiss can be a veteran backup, its not like lehner can help us with our defense being as bad as yours. Lehner sure hasnt helped your team with its bad defense. so it would be a waste of draft picks, its not a trade that helps us at all

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
So you would flush 3.3 in cap space down the toilet next year (cap space that could be used to improve the team)... for a 2nd rounder?

Weird
how does it improve our team lehner hasnt helped yours and our defense is just as bad or worse than yours....if lehner couldnt rescue your season he sure cant rescue ours. it would be like flushing a 2nd and 4-5 million down the toilet

if were flushing anything down the toilet 3.3 million is less than 4-5M. and by not doing anything we save a 2nd

Dano85

Oct 8, 2016
but next year Halak will be gone and Soderstrom will be on an ELC, so Greiss can be a veteran backup, its not like lehner can help us with our defense being as bad as yours. Lehner sure hasnt helped your team with its bad defense. so it would be a waste of draft picks, its not a trade that helps us at all

Lehner has put up a .920+ SV% the last 2 seasons, what part of the team does not score do you not understand...Im sure Lehner would have more wins this season if Buffalo had 146 (Isles) goals as opposed to the league worst 99 they have, or the 241 vs 201 last season or the 232 to 201 the season before that.

and don't bother comparing him to Dominik Hasek again.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

It's good thinking, but I think we'll be stuck with the question mark of whether Lehner is the guy or not, just like we are with Halak. Might be a good stop gap until Soderstrom or Sorokin are ready to go though...

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Lehner has put up a .920+ SV% the last 2 seasons, what part of the team does not score do you not understand...Im sure Lehner would have more wins this season if Buffalo had 146 (Isles) goals as opposed to the league worst 99 they have, or the 241 vs 201 last season or the 232 to 201 the season before that.

and don't bother comparing him to Dominik Hasek again.
what part of Lehner has never been any good dont you get? he has always been a horrible goalie and has been statistically the worst goalie in NHL history in overtime and shootouts.

even in ottawa he has a career record of 30-36 on teams that that were well over 500 (178-145) what is your excuse for that?

then theres this

TehDoak said:
I can't recall any goalie who consistently let's in late soft goals like lehner. Thank God condon was worse last night.​

sabresfan said:
As a former goalie myself, I am not a big fan of Lehner for a number reasons. Not a whole lot of solutions but some decent stop gates and options while we look to find our answer in the cage long-term.​

CacOBG said:
My problem with Lehner is that Ullmark can do the same job he does for less than half the cap. I cannot justify re-signing him on his current cap hit even if he's not been terrible this year. He has solid nights but even on most of these he lets it a softy or two. He's still a trainwreck in OT and SO so what is the point. If you pay 3 more million to one goalie compared to another you expect him to give you some competitive advantage and I don't see it. Letting him go and gettin some else cheap to go along with Ullmark will allow more cap for D/Winger reinforcements. If we can get some picks for Lehner even better.​

valet said:
Lehner has below average positioning and fundamentals. He is not an average NHL goalie. He is an inconsistent backup making 4 mil a year. Stockholm syndrome is the only reason he gets any support around here. The Sabres will move on from him after this season.​
Icicle said:
Balogne. He lets in stinkers every single game. It’s on him​
jvirk said:
Lehner is very inconsistent..but he's also got bad mechanics and a bad mentality. He's had some flashes of good play but this guy has been in the league for like 6 years now, I think this is who he's going to be. I don't see him being a good playoff goalie when the stakes are high (if we ever get to the playoffs).​
Yatzhee said:
I've said it since his first season with Buffalo. He's weak on the posts, and not just with his ability to hug it. He stands with the pads crossed at the top while play moves down low, leaving a 5 hole low gap. Its been exploited a few times because he's not fast enough to close the hole.

Anyways, we need a better goalie.​
Dubi Doo said:
Agreed. He is horrifyingly bad on breakaways, has terrible rebound control, his 5-hole is flawed, and his temper gets the best of him a lot. His size and reflexes are what makes him a passable goalie, but I wouldn't trust him in the playoffs.​
CacOBG said:
He is an NHL goaltender, just not an average NHL starter. If hes happy to take a big paycut and do backup services, let him stay. That's just about as far as I'd go with Lehner. Otherwise, let him be someone else's problem.
rbochan said:
This is not an NHL caliber goaltender.

pigpen65 said:
He's horrible when the game is on the line. It doesn't matter where the puck is. 3rd period in a 1 goal game, he's letting in the tying goal and there's not a damn thing that can be done about it. He's a choker.​

every single quote is from a sabres fan,
not one of them is mine, why would i want that near my team, I refuse to believe that all these sabres fans are lying,

he couldnt win in ottawa on a well above average team
he cant win in buffalo where most of the fans say hes a loser and a choker
hes statistically the worst goalie in recent history in the shootout and overtime
and he is paranoid thinking the league has it in for him

that sure is a great list of accomplishments, I tell you what why dont you keep him

we have enough problems of our own, we dont need to take on anyone elses and give up good draft picks in the process.

but please Dano85 do tell, why should we ignore all this evidence and acquire him?

the only reason i can think of is Buffalo wants to get some quality draft picks for your substandard goalie, and for the life of me I cant see the upside for the Islanders. both of our current goalies have over 500 career records, lehner never has not in buffalo, and not in ottawa, despite ottawas very good record

Last edited:

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Isn't BUF the lowest scoring team in the league or damn near close? His numbers actually aren't horrible given the lack of run support he gets.

Is he better than Halak? Probably only slightly, but not enough to warrant a trade.

But then, this is Snow we're talking about here. He's just about as close to Bergevin as a GM can get when he wants something bad enough.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad