Friedman: I wonder if the Islanders take a look at Robin Lehner

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Oh, so okay thanks for your answer. Don't know why you had to start it that way. You are the first person to ever refer to a player that makes less than 3 million a season as a cap dump lol. What, is this 1989? I can't stop laughing as I picture you at the dollar store complaining things are too expensive.

Not true... any player included in a trade for the sole purpose of reducing one teams cap, while providing no actual value to the team acquiring him... is by definition a cap dump. Whether that player has a cap hit of 1 million or 10 million.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Lehner
MIN's 4th

for

Halak
Kulemin
Vande-Sompel
CGY's 2nd
NYI's 3rd

RFA goalie, doesn't cost you a 1st and clears up cap space for a potential move for a defenseman.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Lehner
MIN's 4th

for

Halak
Kulemin
Vande-Sompel
CGY's 2nd
NYI's 3rd

RFA goalie, doesn't cost you a 1st and clears up cap space for a potential move for a defenseman.
No thanks. Both Kuliman and Halak are ufas in July.
Not selling bigh draft picks.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Halak, CGY 2nd, and NYI 2nd. Don't see Lehner getting much more than that tbh

yuck, what is it with you?

the guy is horrible his lifetime record is terrible. he has crumbled in crunch time his entire career and has even seen a psychiatrist for his failing confidence

ive shown you what buffalo fans have said about him and its undeniably negative

yet joemon999 still wants him you must really hate the Islanders, because there is no evidence whatsoever that hes any better than halak alone let allone add ANYTHING

WHAT EVIDENCE DO YOU HAVE TO THE CONTRARY other than your own imagination

I tell you this cadre of islander fans who because they missed the dynasty years, think that they have the right to say ITS GOT TO BE RIGHT NOW, are about as smart as the people who voted for Donald Trump.

in other words not very

we already had one moron as GM.....WE DONT NEED ANOTHER

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Not true... any player included in a trade for the sole purpose of reducing one teams cap, while providing no actual value to the team acquiring him... is by definition a cap dump. Whether that player has a cap hit of 1 million or 10 million.

So your assumption is the Isles are including him because they need to free up salary? That's certainly not the case. Could it possibly be I just included him in the trade because I figured Buffalo would need a goalie in return. I have no idea what your prospects are like. The trade didn't hinge on Greiss and I'm really sorry if that 2m is too much for your team to take on. I'm hard pressed to believe you are up against the cap based on your performance. Keep the assumptions coming though...

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
So your assumption is the Isles are including him because they need to free up salary? That's certainly not the case. Could it possibly be I just included him in the trade because I figured Buffalo would need a goalie in return. I have no idea what your prospects are like. The trade didn't hinge on Greiss and I'm really sorry if that 2m is too much for your team to take on. I'm hard pressed to believe you are up against the cap based on your performance. Keep the assumptions coming though...

Uh... I didn’t make any assumptions and wasnt even commenting on the trade proposal.

I was just explaining the term “cap dump” to you, because you were wrong.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
We keep getting proposals from buffalo fans however badgering us to trade one or both of our first round picks however, we need defense as bad as you guys so if you stop trying to send us your trash goalie A fact that many Sabres fans Wholeheartedly agee with (numerous quotes available on request) then I think the problem would be solved

Id actually like to see the sabres get much better because im friends with many sabres posters, I just dont want it coming at our expense

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Uh... I didn’t make any assumptions and wasnt even commenting on the trade proposal.

I was just explaining the term “cap dump” to you, because you were wrong.

Except your definition of cap dump doesn't fit with the original poster who responded to me in regards to a trade. So I really don't know what you are spouting on about. I know what a cap dump is. I didn't include Greiss in a trade as a cap dump, nor would the Isles consider him a cap dump in a trade. You might, but still it doesn't fit your definition as the Islanders have salary available and currently would need to offload any contracts for financial reasons.

So great for defining things and ignoring context, but context is everything.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Halak, CGY 2nd, and NYI 2nd. Don't see Lehner getting much more than that tbh
I'd be ecstatic with this. Also, I'd do that with Greiss instead of Halak if we get 2 2nds back as Greiss is clearly cap dump at this point and his value is negative, while I suppose Halak's is neutral.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I would assume that Buffalo played Ullmark last night to see if he is ready for more NHL time...and if so, they can definitely move Lehner.

They can then go with Ullmark and Johnson. Or move Johnson somewhere else and take a backup goalie back when trading Lehner away.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Except your definition of cap dump doesn't fit with the original poster who responded to me in regards to a trade. So I really don't know what you are spouting on about. I know what a cap dump is. I didn't include Greiss in a trade as a cap dump, nor would the Isles consider him a cap dump in a trade. You might, but still it doesn't fit your definition as the Islanders have salary available and currently would need to offload any contracts for financial reasons.

So great for defining things and ignoring context, but context is everything.

Let's try this again

Oh, so okay thanks for your answer. Don't know why you had to start it that way. You are the first person to ever refer to a player that makes less than 3 million a season as a cap dump lol. What, is this 1989? I can't stop laughing as I picture you at the dollar store complaining things are too expensive.

Wrong^

You questioned how a player that makes less than 3 million dollars, could be called a "cap dump".... FYI that player being Chimera and not Greiss apparently (since Chimera makes less than 3 million, and Greiss makes more) but that is really besides the point here.

Your statement had nothing to do with the Islanders, or a player in particular... you stated that players making less than 3 million are not "cap dumps"..... you're wrong about that, as I tried to explain to you.

Im not trying to convince you of anything related to the trade. Im not telling you that Greiss/Chimera are cap dumps. I'm helping you understand that players that make under 3 million can certainly be cap dumps. As opposed to your statement to the contrary.

Dano85

Oct 8, 2016
yuck, what is it with you?

the guy is horrible his lifetime record is terrible. he has crumbled in crunch time his entire career and has even seen a psychiatrist for his failing confidence

ive shown you what buffalo fans have said about him and its undeniably negative

yet joemon999 still wants him you must really hate the Islanders, because there is no evidence whatsoever that hes any better than halak alone let allone add ANYTHING

WHAT EVIDENCE DO YOU HAVE TO THE CONTRARY other than your own imagination

I tell you this cadre of islander fans who because they missed the dynasty years, think that they have the right to say ITS GOT TO BE RIGHT NOW, are about as smart as the people who voted for Donald Trump.

in other words not very

we already had one moron as GM.....WE DONT NEED ANOTHER

first of I agree the isles are not a robin lehner away from winning the cup and I don't give a shit if he get traded to the isles as I am not a fan of either team.

As for you post his horrible lifetime record probably stems from the fact that for the last 3 seasons he's been on a team that is bottom 5 in scoring
they currently have 1 more goal then Arizona in 1 additional game played. Some how that is Lehners fault.

you can find Sabres fan post about how bad he is, good for you! I am sure there are a ton of isles fan post about how terrible the isles goaltending is (worst GA in the league). it probably helps the isles have scored 50 goals more than the Sabres.

I would figure given he's putting up better numbers than both your goalies behind a D corps that maybe has 2 NHL calibre players on it 1 of which has missed 9 games this season, would at the very least give some people the idea that he could be an upgrade. (yes I am aware the isles D is beat up). maybe that's why the isles keep sending scouts to the Sabres games.

the dynasty years? you mean 35 years ago...the isles have won 1 playoff round since 95...youll have to excuse some fans if they would like the GM to make some moves in a year where they may lose the best player on the team, you'll have to excuse some fans if they don't want to kick the can down the road for another 5 years...i think most fan bases would want to see something (that's why this forum exists).

like I said the isles aren't a robin lehner away from winning the cup...but they could potentially be no roster moves away from losing Tavares.

cold ice

Apr 30, 2017
Can't see the Islanders making a deal for a goalie without trying to throw Griess the other way, they want out of that deal.

Something along the lines of a 2nd, 4th, Griess and Vande Sompel or Wotherspoon for Lehner and a 5th.

Reactions: Myers888

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
first of I agree the isles are not a robin lehner away from winning the cup and I don't give a **** if he get traded to the isles as I am not a fan of either team.

As for you post his horrible lifetime record probably stems from the fact that for the last 3 seasons he's been on a team that is bottom 5 in scoring
they currently have 1 more goal then Arizona in 1 additional game played. Some how that is Lehners fault.

you can find Sabres fan post about how bad he is, good for you! I am sure there are a ton of isles fan post about how terrible the isles goaltending is (worst GA in the league). it probably helps the isles have scored 50 goals more than the Sabres.

I would figure given he's putting up better numbers than both your goalies behind a D corps that maybe has 2 NHL calibre players on it 1 of which has missed 9 games this season, would at the very least give some people the idea that he could be an upgrade. (yes I am aware the isles D is beat up). maybe that's why the isles keep sending scouts to the Sabres games.

the dynasty years? you mean 35 years ago...the isles have won 1 playoff round since 95...youll have to excuse some fans if they would like the GM to make some moves in a year where they may lose the best player on the team, you'll have to excuse some fans if they don't want to kick the can down the road for another 5 years...i think most fan bases would want to see something (that's why this forum exists).

like I said the isles aren't a robin lehner away from winning the cup...but they could potentially be no roster moves away from losing Tavares.
no roster move makes Tavares stay if he wants to leave. the only people who say that are fools who wish to justify a bad trade

if he wants to go he goes period

as far as lehner goes, he's just a weak minded goalie. Dominik Hasek played on some horrible Sabres teams and he won consistently with a record of 389-223-95

when a goalie always has an excuse for losing like he did recently by saying the league has it in for him, I know he's not worth having

the fact that buffalo's fans are so open about his fragility says it all, you can ignore them if you wish but they would know better than you or I

Lehner just isnt very good

Last edited:

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Can't see the Islanders making a deal for a goalie without trying to throw Griess the other way, they want out of that deal.

Something along the lines of a 2nd, 4th, Griess and Vande Sompel or Wotherspoon for Lehner and a 5th.
Holy crap! 2 more years after this at 3.33? Yeah, if Greiss is coming back the other way, I’d want at least a 2nd and a b prospect coming back too.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I would assume that Buffalo played Ullmark last night to see if he is ready for more NHL time...and if so, they can definitely move Lehner.

They can then go with Ullmark and Johnson. Or move Johnson somewhere else and take a backup goalie back when trading Lehner away.

Lehner took a shot off the collarbone Sunday afternoon. He tried to tough it out on Tuesday night, but had a rough game. Johnson has been trash this year.

They were rewarding Ullmark with a NHL start for his solid play, to date, in the AHL. After Buffalo's bye, Ullmark will stay in Rochester and it'll be Lehner and Johnson in Buffalo.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Let's try this again

Wrong^

You questioned how a player that makes less than 3 million dollars, could be called a "cap dump".... FYI that player being Chimera and not Greiss apparently (since Chimera makes less than 3 million, and Greiss makes more) but that is really besides the point here.

Your statement had nothing to do with the Islanders, or a player in particular... you stated that players making less than 3 million are not "cap dumps"..... you're wrong about that, as I tried to explain to you.

Im not trying to convince you of anything related to the trade. Im not telling you that Greiss/Chimera are cap dumps. I'm helping you understand that players that make under 3 million can certainly be cap dumps. As opposed to your statement to the contrary.

Fair enough. I'll fix my original post so you can sleep at night. In the trade I proposed (where this all started) Greiss would not be a cap dump as the Islanders are not up against the salary cap and would be offering him as a roster goalie for Buffalo to continue the season with.

I'd also like to finish with conceding in some situations a player making less than 3 million could be considered a cap dump, but would hold nowhere near the cost of dumping that a player with a much more sizable salary would. Greiss making 2 million, if for some reason the Islanders need to cap dump him, would cost very little extra to do so based on his low salary.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Fair enough. I'll fix my original post so you can sleep at night. In the trade I proposed (where this all started) Greiss would not be a cap dump as the Islanders are not up against the salary cap and would be offering him as a roster goalie for Buffalo to continue the season with.

I'd also like to finish with conceding in some situations a player making less than 3 million could be considered a cap dump, but would hold nowhere near the cost of dumping that a player with a much more sizable salary would. Greiss making 2 million, if for some reason the Islanders need to cap dump him, would cost very little extra to do so based on his low salary.
Greiss is cap dump...hes not worth more than 1.5mil and is making 3+ mil. Any way tou spin it he has negative value whichbis the definition of a cap dump. No team wants to pay 3mil+ for a backup goalie that isnt even posting good numbers. Including the Islanders Im sure. And you are up agaomst the cap next season with some key re-signings coming up.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Greiss is cap dump...hes not worth more than 1.5mil and is making 3+ mil. Any way tou spin it he has negative value whichbis the definition of a cap dump. No team wants to pay 3mil+ for a backup goalie that isnt even posting good numbers. Including the Islanders Im sure. And you are up agaomst the cap next season with some key re-signings coming up.

Dang, just realize I was getting bad information. I thought he made 2 mil. Cap friendly says 3.3 mil. Yeah, he is overpaid for sure. I don't know why google gives 2 mil as a salary. Strange!!!

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Dang, just realize I was getting bad information. I thought he made 2 mil. Cap friendly says 3.3 mil. Yeah, he is overpaid for sure. I don't know why google gives 2 mil as a salary. Strange!!!
Thats why we are offering two 2nds+Greiss for Lehner. You clear Halak contract next off-season and get a cheap 1m backup goalie. Net cap spend on goalies goes down, quality goes up. You have more money left for the Tavareses and Baileys of the world...again at the cost of two 2nd round picks. And this season you have Lehner and Halak for a run at playoffs. IMO it is fair value. Trust me, I don't want Greiss on my team at 3mil+, but if we get some upgraded picks in return than what we would normally get for Lehner, I'd let it pass.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad