Friedman: I wonder if the Islanders take a look at Robin Lehner

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Oh, so you would trade Greiss who is a cap-dump level goalie and a draft bust for a starting goalie and a pick. Good to know. I easily say no to this and I don't even like Lehner much. Lehner for MDC maybe could be considered, even though I'm hesitant on that as well, considering MDC looks like a bust. Gress has negative value with his contract and level of play and is certainly not worth a 3rd.
MDC a draft bust? He is being carefully cultivated to play in the NHL, and should be ready within the next five years. He already has 5 goals in just 33 games!
See how dumb that looks, guys?

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
is it time to stop taking the 31 thoughts seriously? not about this piece in particular but do we just have to accept that anything in here can be completely fabricated?

Last edited:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I don’t think Lehner would make a difference. The Islanders give up too many High Danger shots.

They would need to bring in a top five goalie to be able to overcome how bad their team defense is.

Last edited:

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Isles need D or a real #1 goalie. Lehner won't make a difference.
Name one high end #1 goalie that is available? If you stumble on 1 of these, you dont trade him away. Pittsburgh and Tampa had 2 last season but thats about it. Its not the case anymore and I cant think of high end number 1 that would be available for trade.

So you need to get D apparently, which is what you traded away in the summer ironically.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
Name one high end #1 goalie that is available? If you stumble on 1 of these, you dont trade him away. Pittsburgh and Tampa had 2 last season but thats about it. Its not the case anymore and I cant think of high end number 1 that would be available for trade.

So you need to get D apparently, which is what you traded away in the summer ironically.

That's my point. Unless the Isles can land a legit #1, all these other options aren't a real upgrade.

And Hamonic is always hurt. He can't be counted on.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
yes Lehner. In fact buffalo sabres fans said

every single quote is from a sabres fan, not one of them is mine, why would i want that near my team, Some Sabres fans are incredibly smart and honest. I'm glad Botterill wants to change the dynamic. People like Stokes84,Yahtzee, and pigpen65 sure deserve it. And how can I doubt them when they're so refreshingly honest. its been 50 Years they deserve a cup it's about time don't you think?
We've had Sabres fan complain about every player including Eichel...I'll still take Lehner over any goaltender that's playing for the Islanders.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
From Botterill On Tsn Radio. His exact words were "we have had discussions on a Contract, and we arent prepared to meet his current demands"

So If lehner sticks to his ask that leaves only one logical conclusion, does it not? i know its GM speak but I have No reason to doubt botterill. He sounds like he has a plan and it definitely doesn't sound like business as usual. Based on what he says I expect big changes in Buffalo

Meeting long contract terms and not tendering him are two very different things.

The will give him the min offer to retain his rights. He isn't a UFA till 2019.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
But,but according to HF GMs Dell/Hutchinson/Price/Gruaber are slated to be in goal for the isles next season :popcorn:

i have no idea who it will be but it could be anyone but it wont matter till we fix the defense

youve been right on that meme and youre 1000% correct

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Oh, so you would trade Greiss who is a cap-dump level goalie and a draft bust for a starting goalie and a pick. Good to know. I easily say no to this and I don't even like Lehner much. Lehner for MDC maybe could be considered, even though I'm hesitant on that as well, considering MDC looks like a bust. Gress has negative value with his contract and level of play and is certainly not worth a 3rd.

Oh, so okay thanks for your answer. Don't know why you had to start it that way. You are the first person to ever refer to a player that makes less than 3 million a season as a cap dump lol. What, is this 1989? I can't stop laughing as I picture you at the dollar store complaining things are too expensive.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Friedman said on his podcast the Islanders have been scouting him and he'd be cheap to acquire.
Always interesting to read or hear what hockey insider's have to say about what teams are doing, what player trade values are and compare the insider's info with our armchair GMs opinions.

QuadDeuces

Jul 16, 2006
Salt Lake City
Hutchinson might be the best available G in my opinion. Some team would be wise to pick him up.
I don't believe that Michael Hutchinson is an NHL-level goaltender. He had a brief hot streak in his first season and that's it. I put him in the same category as Louie Domingue.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I used to think this was a good column. Scrolling through that thing was painful and Friedman is getting progressively worse.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I don't believe that Michael Hutchinson is an NHL-level goaltender. He had a brief hot streak in his first season and that's it. I put him in the same category as Louie Domingue.
I happen to think Domingue is pretty good too, but Hutch is at a much higher level in my opinion. Currently tops in the A with a .942

QuadDeuces

Jul 16, 2006
Salt Lake City
I happen to think Domingue is pretty good too, but Hutch is at a much higher level in my opinion. Currently tops in the A with a .942

I didn't know he was doing so well in the A - but watching him in his limited NHL action, his movement and reaction time just doesn't seem up up to par for the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad