Friedman: I wonder if the Islanders take a look at Robin Lehner

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Halak has improved and Greiss is still trash. A month ago I would have figured it would be Halak+ for Lehner given contracts, now idk.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Considering Lehner can't make a save in overtime and is reportedly asking for 5+million, I can't see the isles even considering him. He can look like a star one minute and be trash the next. That's no better than what we have.

Rumors out of Buffalo is they may not tender him a contract anyway. Botterill may not think he's worth that much money. They have needs on defense that he may feel take priority.

Me personally wouldn't touch him. He's the worst Starter in overtime history. Why trust a goalie guaranteed to lose you points before the game even starts?

Numerous Sabres fans call him the ultimate head case. If your own fans call you and I quote : " he's an NHL goalie. Just not an Average NHL Starter" that says volumes. The fact that some people seem to think he'd help the isles is just a case of the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

To me that's a ridiculous reason to trade for a goalie. id rather give Aaron Dell a cheaper contract as a free agent. And though his numbers aren't as deep as owner's his performance has been much much better.

One is a proven loser, the other is a talented inexperienced prospect coming off a great first season. To me it's Dell, no question

Last edited:

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
Whenever Lehner is mentioned he’s torn apart. I see a good goalie who could thrive in the right circumstances - I feel as crazy Lehner in these threads!

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
Probably not a bad idea. Lehner is better than Halak or Greiss, and if Tavares may leave, this could be their last crack at a run for a while.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
It's only one islander fan with an irrational desire for lehner. I seriously doubt Garth Snow has any interest in lehner. Especially after his meltdown late against the islanders recently. Lehner was great until late and then as is his history he collapsed in overtime, and he gave up a softy to Barzal.

I think Garth Snow realizes that our issues are defense and injury related. I trust him to not react in a panic mode. Making the playoffs is a poor reason to make stupid moves. If Tavares based his decision on that alone he's not worth having and Lehner is not any better than Halak or Greiss. Lehner is a proven loser at least Greiss and Halak have won a playoff series

One of the main reasons that Buffalo is no better despite Eichel and Terry Pegulas spending multi millions, is that Lehner isn't very good. in crunch time Lehner folds like a cheap tent. Buffalo won't win anything until they get a Goalie who doesn't crumble when it counts

Last edited:

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Considering Lehner can't make a save in overtime and is reportedly asking for 5+million, I can't see the isles even considering him. He can look like a star one minute and be trash the next. That's no better than what we have.

Rumors out of Buffalo is they may not tender him a contract anyway. Botterill may not think he's worth that much money. They have needs on defense that he may feel take priority.

Me personally wouldn't touch him. He's the worst Starter in overtime history. Why trust a goalie guaranteed to lose you points before the game even starts?

Numerous Sabres fans call him the ultimate head case. If your own fans call you and I quote : " he's an NHL goalie. Just not an Average NHL Starter" that says volumes. The fact that some people seem to think he'd help the isles is just a case of the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

To me that's a ridiculous reason to trade for a goalie. id rather give Aaron Dell a cheaper contract as a free agent. And though his numbers aren't as deep as owner's his performance has been much much better.

One is a proven loser, the other is a talented inexperienced prospect coming off a great first season. To me it's Dell, no question
inexperienced prospect is how would describe dell?

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY

Where are you getting your information? I've never once heard what Lehner will be looking for on his next contract and I haven't heard a single "rumor" that Buffalo may not tender him a contract.

Reactions: umbertovanek

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I believe I said a talented inexperienced prospect coming off a great first season.

There's a world of difference between what you said and what I did.
i was referring to the part where you said dell was an inexperienced prospect, which is the last thing he is. dell has a load of experience, as he's played in many leagues. also he is not a prospect. he's 29. how on earth is he a talented inexperienced prospect?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
It's only one islander fan with an irrational desire for lehner. I seriously doubt Garth Snow has any interest in lehner. Especially after his meltdown late against the islanders recently. Lehner was great until late and then as is his history he collapsed in overtime, and he gave up a softy to Barzal.

I think Garth Snow realizes that our issues are defense and injury related. I trust him to not react in a panic mode. Making the playoffs is a poor reason to make stupid moves. If Tavares based his decision on that alone he's not worth having and Lehner is not any better than Halak or Greiss. Lehner is a proven loser at least Greiss and Halak have won a playoff series

One of the main reasons that Buffalo is no better despite Eichel and Terry Pegulas spending multi millions, is that Lehner isn't very good. in crunch time Lehner folds like a cheap tent. Buffalo won't win anything until they get a Goalie who doesn't crumble when it counts
yah lehner is one of the main reasons why... not the piss poor defense, not the lack of depth, lehner........

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Where are you getting your information? I've never once heard what Lehner will be looking for on his next contract and I haven't heard a single "rumor" that Buffalo may not tender him a contract.
From Botterill On Tsn Radio. His exact words were "we have had discussions on a Contract, and we arent prepared to meet his current demands"

So If lehner sticks to his ask that leaves only one logical conclusion, does it not? i know its GM speak but I have No reason to doubt botterill. He sounds like he has a plan and it definitely doesn't sound like business as usual. Based on what he says I expect big changes in Buffalo

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
yah lehner is one of the main reasons why... not the piss poor defense, not the lack of depth, lehner........
yes Lehner. In fact buffalo sabres fans said

I can't recall any goalie who consistently let's in late soft goals like lehner. Thank God condon was worse last night.

Want some more there's Hundreds of them here's another:
sabresfan said:
As a former goalie myself, I am not a big fan of Lehner for a number reasons. Not a whole lot of solutions but some decent stop gates and options while we look to find our answer in the cage long-term.

Even Buffalo fans have doubts about Lehner

Want more? I got them

My problem with Lehner is that Ullmark can do the same job he does for less than half the cap. I cannot justify re-signing him on his current cap hit even if he's not been terrible this year. He has solid nights but even on most of these he lets it a softy or two. He's still a trainwreck in OT and SO so what is the point. If you pay 3 more million to one goalie compared to another you expect him to give you some competitive advantage and I don't see it. Letting him go and gettin some else cheap to go along with Ullmark will allow more cap for D/Winger reinforcements. If we can get some picks for Lehner even better.

More? Sure why not

Lehner has below average positioning and fundamentals. He is not an average NHL goalie. He is an inconsistent backup making 4 mil a year. Stockholm syndrome is the only reason he gets any support around here. The Sabres will move on from him after this season.

Balogne. He lets in stinkers every single game. It’s on him

Lehner is very inconsistent..but he's also got bad mechanics and a bad mentality. He's had some flashes of good play but this guy has been in the league for like 6 years now, I think this is who he's going to be. I don't see him being a good playoff goalie when the stakes are high (if we ever get to the playoffs).

I've said it since his first season with Buffalo. He's weak on the posts, and not just with his ability to hug it. He stands with the pads crossed at the top while play moves down low, leaving a 5 hole low gap. Its been exploited a few times because he's not fast enough to close the hole.

Anyways, we need a better goalie.

Agreed. He is horrifyingly bad on breakaways, has terrible rebound control, his 5-hole is flawed, and his temper gets the best of him a lot. His size and reflexes are what makes him a passable goalie, but I wouldn't trust him in the playoffs.

He is an NHL goaltender, just not an average NHL starter. If hes happy to take a big paycut and do backup services, let him stay. That's just about as far as I'd go with Lehner. Otherwise, let him be someone else's problem.

This is not an NHL caliber goaltender.

He's horrible when the game is on the line. It doesn't matter where the puck is. 3rd period in a 1 goal game, he's letting in the tying goal and there's not a damn thing that can be done about it. He's a choker.

every single quote is from a sabres fan, not one of them is mine, why would i want that near my team, Some Sabres fans are incredibly smart and honest. I'm glad Botterill wants to change the dynamic. People like Stokes84,Yahtzee, and pigpen65 sure deserve it. And how can I doubt them when they're so refreshingly honest. its been 50 Years they deserve a cup it's about time don't you think?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad