Friedman: I wonder if the Islanders take a look at Robin Lehner

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
From Botterill On Tsn Radio. His exact words were "we have had discussions on a Contract, and we arent prepared to meet his current demands"

So If lehner sticks to his ask that leaves only one logical conclusion, does it not? i know its GM speak but I have No reason to doubt botterill. He sounds like he has a plan and it definitely doesn't sound like business as usual. Based on what he says I expect big changes in Buffalo
Could you link that TSN bit? I know last offseason Botterill was trying to sign Lehner to a multi year deal and Lehner only wanted a one year deal. I would be in favor of extending him. He is a solid starter with a trash defense in front of him. Sure he let's in a shit goal from time to time but every goalie does.

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
Halak is still a good goalie.

im not trying to bust your chops here or anything like that.....but i whole heartedly disagree.
he is notorious for giving up soft goals.....and at the worst possible time. the islanders fight back, score two quick goals too tie the game, taking all momentum from the other team......and then "bad slava" shows up and gives up an easy one to totally deflate the islanders.
his rebound control is non-existent. he often times has no idea where the puck is. ive seen him looking behind himself when the rebound is sitting in the slot eight or ten feet in front of him. or looking left when the rebound went to his right.
and believe it or not, his puck handling is actually worse than his rebound control.......with slava in net, even a simple dump in around the boards is an adventure.
i was happy as a lark when the islanders got him. i ignored all the negative things st louis fans said about him ( you know how fans like to bash players once they leave a team ) but i quickly found out that what they said was true.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
From Botterill On Tsn Radio. His exact words were "we have had discussions on a Contract, and we arent prepared to meet his current demands"

So If lehner sticks to his ask that leaves only one logical conclusion, does it not? i know its GM speak but I have No reason to doubt botterill. He sounds like he has a plan and it definitely doesn't sound like business as usual. Based on what he says I expect big changes in Buffalo
And in this radio interview Botterill mentioned Lehner was looking for 5 + million a year? Or that he would consider not tendering him an offer if his demands were too high? Your jumping to some wild conclusions based off next to no information. A GM not being prepared to give into a player or agents initial demands happens all the time, it's called contract negotations.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Does Friedman do anything but "wonder" anymore?
It's sad that he's still probably the best we have in the hockey world. Years ago he'd break something concrete once a month or so and now it's like he's being pushed to just say whatever the execs think will draw attention. At this point, I don't think there's anybody I'd take at their word anymore.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
It's only one islander fan with an irrational desire for lehner. I seriously doubt Garth Snow has any interest in lehner. Especially after his meltdown late against the islanders recently. Lehner was great until late and then as is his history he collapsed in overtime, and he gave up a softy to Barzal.

Meltdown? The guy nearly made the save of the year on the tying goal. That's not a meltdown.

I think Garth Snow realizes that our issues are defense and injury related. I trust him to not react in a panic mode. Making the playoffs is a poor reason to make stupid moves. If Tavares based his decision on that alone he's not worth having and Lehner is not any better than Halak or Greiss. Lehner is a proven loser at least Greiss and Halak have won a playoff series

So Lehner is a proven loser because he couldn't get Buffalo to the playoffs while posting a .920+ SV% the previous two seasons?

One of the main reasons that Buffalo is no better despite Eichel and Terry Pegulas spending multi millions, is that Lehner isn't very good. in crunch time Lehner folds like a cheap tent. Buffalo won't win anything until they get a Goalie who doesn't crumble when it counts

If you think Lehner, during his tenure in Buffalo, is one of the "main reasons" Buffalo has sucked, you're out to lunch and have no credibility when it comes to Buffalo's issues. Placing 26th, 25th, and 31st in goals for has exponentially more to do with Buffalo sucking than goaltending. This team wouldn't make the playoffs with a Vezina candidate between the pipes.

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
Meltdown? The guy nearly made the save of the year on the tying goal. That's not a meltdown.

he then said that toronto had decided that it was a goal before bailey even shot the puck. so even if bailey shot the puck into the upper deck, toronto would have called it a goal???

that sounds pretty melt down-ish too me.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
he then said that toronto had decided that it was a goal before bailey even shot the puck. so even if bailey shot the puck into the upper deck, toronto would have called it a goal???

that sounds pretty melt down-ish too me.

Hyperbole. He said they had pre-determined it was a goal before a full review, which is why they blew the horn. He then ranted about how we've been laughably screwed on several reviews - notably a late review to preserve a Price shutout on HNIC a few weeks back. And not to get too far afield, but if that's a "meltdown" and bears on whether a GM may acquire a player, that's pretty stupid.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Check it,
I've been saying this for a couple years now. Hell, an islanders fan has my more recent quotes.
This goes out to every fan base, steer clear of ANY Lehner deal. He's not the droid your looking for.

He's weak along the posts, his 5 hole is exposed, he's inconsistent, he lets in way to many soft goals, his shoot out and break away game is midget league, he's absolutely a rebound give away machine.

There is a reason he was only given a 1 year deal. I cursed the day Murray gave the 21st OA in one of the deepest drafts in modern NHL history for him.

Move along if you value a competitive team. I am pleading, stay clear of Lehner manning the net. And I'm a Sabres fan.

Reactions: DJN21

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
Hyperbole. He said they had pre-determined it was a goal before a full review,
Robin Lehner Alleges NHL 'Predetermined' Sabres Would Lose Video Goal Review

MIKE CHIARI
DECEMBER 28, 2017

Buffalo Sabres goalie Robin Lehner said Wednesday the NHL "predetermined" a goal review would go against them during a 3-2 overtime loss to the New York Islanders.

Click on the link below to read more.

Robin Lehner Alleges NHL 'Predetermined' Sabres Would Lose Video Goal Review

"I know Toronto already made up their mind it was a goal before they shot the puck."

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Not to hijack on a different topic, but...I guess I am anyway. What do you think of the Islanders getting Anderson from Ottawa? I know Anderson has had a bad year so far and has two more years left on a new deal but I truly think he is a guy who could push the Islanders over the top, and heck he's one of my fave Sens of all time so its not just a "hey take Andy off our hands!" I think he could be rejuvenated and flourish on that squad and I don't necessarily want him gone, it was just a thought that popped into the ole noggin.

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
What do you think of the Islanders getting Anderson from Ottawa?

i wouldnt be to interested in him. he would be playing behind a defense that consists of nick leddy, a few second year players and/or rookies. the islanders defensemen are either too small ( hickey and aho ) too inexperienced ( pulock, pelech, mayfeild )or just too old ( seidenberg ) or busted up ( boychuk, dehaan ). i doubt any goalie could look decent behind that defensive unit.

( not even me....and i was the greatest goalie that ever played!!! )

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Check it,
I've been saying this for a couple years now. Hell, an islanders fan has my more recent quotes.
This goes out to every fan base, steer clear of ANY Lehner deal. He's not the droid your looking for.

He's weak along the posts, his 5 hole is exposed, he's inconsistent, he lets in way to many soft goals, his shoot out and break away game is midget league, he's absolutely a rebound give away machine.

There is a reason he was only given a 1 year deal. I cursed the day Murray gave the 21st OA in one of the deepest drafts in modern NHL history for him.

Move along if you value a competitive team. I am pleading, stay clear of Lehner manning the net. And I'm a Sabres fan.
once again, this is an honest man. whether you agree about lehner or not, how can you ignore someone who comes out honestly about a player like this? this deserves the ultimate in RESPECT. and he's not the only one to do so. Sabres fans are a very loyal bunch they've supported a team that hasnt given back as much as their fans have given to the team and thats why when they tell me about what he's really like I believed them

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Could you link that TSN bit? I know last offseason Botterill was trying to sign Lehner to a multi year deal and Lehner only wanted a one year deal. I would be in favor of extending him. He is a solid starter with a trash defense in front of him. Sure he let's in a **** goal from time to time but every goalie does.

i tried to find it, but it from when the first lehner thread came out about 3 to 4 weeks ago, and to answer is the answer Jesus question, no Botterill didnt say how much he asked for, but he did comment that Craig oster had asked for an amount that was "outrageous in todays Marketplace" so id assume it was considerably more than what he's currently making which is 4 Million, so i assume he meant at least 5m maybe more

it was definitely on bob mccowns show i just dont remember the specific date, most of the time he was talking about several undrafted college kids he was signing

Last edited:

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
For what exactly? I'm pretty sure it's still against the rules to play two average goaltenders at the same time to make one good one.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
If you asked me before the Isles played Buffalo I would have been a hard pass on Lehner. However, watching the way he played in that game he stole Buffalo a point and stopped them from getting trounced. He certainly opened my eyes. I would do Greiss and MDC for Lehner and a 3rd. He's not an upgrade on Halak, but a pretty capable 1B with lots of room to get better. Greiss has never been a starter and never will be.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
If you asked me before the Isles played Buffalo I would have been a hard pass on Lehner. However, watching the way he played in that game he stole Buffalo a point and stopped them from getting trounced. He certainly opened my eyes. I would do Greiss and MDC for Lehner and a 3rd. He's not an upgrade on Halak, but a pretty capable 1B with lots of room to get better. Greiss has never been a starter and never will be.
Oh, so you would trade Greiss who is a cap-dump level goalie and a draft bust for a starting goalie and a pick. Good to know. I easily say no to this and I don't even like Lehner much. Lehner for MDC maybe could be considered, even though I'm hesitant on that as well, considering MDC looks like a bust. Gress has negative value with his contract and level of play and is certainly not worth a 3rd.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
I'm not a Lehner fan. And I hated the trade to get him. Lehner gives up bad rebounds, is weak along the post, and is awful on shootouts. With all that said he has been the Sabres best player this season. He keeps them in games all the time. And he is better than Johnson, Halak, and Greiss

Reactions: Chainshot

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
You and all of us, fans of the team.
that 2015 draft could have really been extraordinary for Buff. Boesser at 21 and they also had the 25th pick (traded to WPG), perhaps larsson or carlo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad