I was going to give a big breakdown, but it comes down to two words: Alex Pietrangelo

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I'd probably trust a premier defencemen to last into their mid to late 30s more than a forward, but it's obviously risky.

Niedermayer, Chara, Giordano, Suter, etc continued as #1 dmen past age 35. I think most former Norris contenders generally play well into their 30s, unless they're bad skaters like Phaneuf was.

But even if he plays well, we can't take the caphit without offloading a big contract. At least not without gutting the depth on the roster. So we'd have to be looking to move Marner or Nylander for primarily futures.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Dubas should be fired if he signs Petro for $11M, Shanny should as well for allowing it. If the Blues allow him to walk I bet Petro is willing to give a discount to play at home. My thinking is that it is either the Blues or Leafs.

Only rumors of course, but I have not seen anywhere that AP is going to get $10+ on the market. But even at $9.5M he is too rich for the Leafs unless Mitch is heading out of town. The additional bodies that would have to go with a Nylander trade would thin out the bottom 6 too much for an AP signing. I do think in spite of the promise thing, it would be Willie outbound if Dubas found the right deal, and still a Kerf, Kap or Mango because there would be some cap coming back. That would be for something far less than a Pietrangelo but maybe they can sign the second best UFA defenseman and get some salary retention on a Willie trade for another D or D+ so they can rebuild the right side completely. Except they could only protect one of the new D in the X draft so that starts to get complicated.

Pietro has his Cup already so maybe it is all about the money for him, but if the Blue win again I think the chance he stays in STL is a lot greater.

Now listening again to his TSN radio interview from June "hey I grew up a Leaf fan when I was a kid, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't... a pretty special place to play ... anything can happen...I guess you never know, its always been a dream for any kid growing up in Toronto,.. I know Johnny was able to fulfill that going back" It does seem like the idea of "coming home" has crossed his mind but the money situation this year may not be workable.

Reactions: KMNRB and ToneDog

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Boston already has two fantastic rhd with Mcavoy and Carlo. Are they gonna bump one of them over to the left side or bottom pair if they get him?

Who knows, trade one of them, maybe one has already played LD... AP is an upgrade on either one of them.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I'd like to see a poll to see if fans (you can only pick one of the two players) would prefer AP on the Tavares contract (same term/ money) or Tavares on the Tavares contract

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
NHL's top 20 UFAs of 2020: Latest rumours, reports - Sportsnet.ca
"Early-season reports projected the AAV on Pietrangelo’s next deal to come in at around $8 million per year – a bargain when you look at his performance over the course of this season."

If we can sign him for Pietrangelo for $8 mil (his value increases over the season but drops after the pandemic), which of the following options would you prefer:

(1) Trade Nylander for futures, sign Pietrangelo (age 30, 8 mil cap hit)

(2) Trade Nylander+ for Ekblad (age 24, 7.5 mil cap hit)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
"Early-season reports projected the AAV on Pietrangelo’s next deal to come in at around $8 million per year – a bargain when you look at his performance over the course of this season."

If we can sign him for Pietrangelo for $8 mil (his value increases over the season but drops after the pandemic), which of the following options would you prefer:

Option #1, quite easily

Reactions: KMNRB

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
We could trade Kapanen, Dermott and a 1st/2nd for Parayko and let the Blues sign Petro until he's 38.

No way the Blues can bring back Petro, Parayko and Faulk next year. I can't see anyone taking Faulk's contract.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Only rumors of course, but I have not seen anywhere that AP is going to get $10+ on the market. But even at $9.5M he is too rich for the Leafs unless Mitch is heading out of town. The additional bodies that would have to go with a Nylander trade would thin out the bottom 6 too much for an AP signing. I do think in spite of the promise thing, it would be Willie outbound if Dubas found the right deal, and still a Kerf, Kap or Mango because there would be some cap coming back. That would be for something far less than a Pietrangelo but maybe they can sign the second best UFA defenseman and get some salary retention on a Willie trade for another D or D+ so they can rebuild the right side completely. Except they could only protect one of the new D in the X draft so that starts to get complicated.

Pietro has his Cup already so maybe it is all about the money for him, but if the Blue win again I think the chance he stays in STL is a lot greater.

Now listening again to his TSN radio interview from June "hey I grew up a Leaf fan when I was a kid, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't... a pretty special place to play ... anything can happen...I guess you never know, its always been a dream for any kid growing up in Toronto,.. I know Johnny was able to fulfill that going back" It does seem like the idea of "coming home" has crossed his mind but the money situation this year may not be workable.

where is that interview?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Pietrangelo on preparing for NHL restart, interest in joining Maple Leafs and more

I listened to it and it doesn't sound like Toronto is his top choice. He said that his parents and grandparents would love it if he signs here, but in the end, there are many considerations and he'll make a choice that's best for his family.

ya? It’s funny I totally interpreted that differently. I mean he was joking and giggling about it. He was going on about how much he wanted to play here and how his family is here And how special
It is still and how It was a dream as a kid and how his buddy John got to make his dream come true.....

Generally speaking, while you are under contract for one team, driving from Toronto to St. Louis to get ready for a cup run; you don’t talk like that.

he was definitely talking very positively. And he and Carlo are close so they would have talked about it before. He knew it was coming. And chose this answer

I kinda wonder if thar was leverage for him though? To talk about Toronto etc If stl is not giving him what he wants.

that definitely was not a stock answer......
It’s almost tampering? I mean a player who is the captain of a team talking about UFA and his love of Toronto...... it’s odd.

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
ya? It’s funny I totally interpreted that differently. I mean he was joking and giggling about it. He was going on about how much he wanted to play here and how his family is here And how special
It is still and how It was a dream as a kid and how his buddy John got to make his dream come true.....

Generally speaking, while you are under contract for one team, driving from Toronto to St. Louis to get ready for a cup run; you don’t talk like that.

he was definitely talking very positively. And he and Carlo are close so they would have talked about it before. He knew it was coming. And chose this answer

I kinda wonder if thar was leverage for him though? To talk about Toronto etc If stl is not giving him what he wants.

It’s almost tampering? I mean a player who is the captain of a team talking about UFA and his love of Toronto...... it’s odd.

Well I hope you are right.

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
Pietrangelo will resign in St Louis. Theirs no reason he wouldn't. A realistic pursuit would be Burns. the sharks have to much money tied up on there back end. Wed have to move Nylander at least to make the money work but id do it just to get some real leadership on this team.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Why not trade Marner for futures and sign Pietra(9.5mil)
Trade Willie+ for Ekblad(7.5mil)
Trade AJ for picks and sign Leivo

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

I still remembered how Stamkos talked about the Leafs and also Doughty. If comparing those two interviews with Pietra. I have to say, Stamkos was being very calculative in his answers, but you have a sense that he wants to see what Leafs is offering....Doughty was joking the whole time, and I doubt even himself thought someone would think he wants to sign as UFA in TO. Pietra talks is interesting, I get the impression that he is not against the idea to coming to TO and is not afraid to say it. JT might play a reason for Pietra to come and play, Trump getting re-elected might be another, COVID is another. I won't be surprised if Pietra signs with the Leafs but probably won't be like JT who took less money.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Thats sort of my thought. None of the "my goal is to remain a Blue" or the stuff like Doughty said about his pending UFA status. “I always wanted to be an L.A. King and I want to stay an L.A. King”. It was all about whats best for his family, and hers are in Stl and his are GTA so that doesn't automatically suggest a 3rd club has an inside track.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Pietrangelo will resign in St Louis. Theirs no reason he wouldn't. A realistic pursuit would be Burns. the sharks have to much money tied up on there back end. Wed have to move Nylander at least to make the money work but id do it just to get some real leadership on this team.

The reason he wouldn't resign is because they can't afford him. Faulk is signed to 2026-27 at $6.5M and has a NT. They only have Parayko at $5.5M for two more years and he is their future. Pietro's long term retirement contract will overlap with Paraykos and that much money on RD only will bury them. Faulk was signed to offset the loss of AP. Now if they win another Cup this season it might end up "future be damned" and they sacrifice tomorrow for a shot at three. If they don't I can't see them being to interested in mortgaging the future to keep a team intact that needs changes, Thats a lot of cap room.

Burns at 35 has still got game but I don't think he plays D as well as Pietrangelo plus he has an $8M cap hit and NTC to age 39. You would need to move Willie + to clear the space and I expect the last 3 years would be pretty iffy. Even if SJ retained some money i think he is too old to commit all that D cap to. I'm not sure if Dubas would even be in the hunt for Pietrangelo but he seems like a much safer bet. If they trade Willie I think they would want someones prime years coming back.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The reason he wouldn't resign is because they can't afford him. Faulk is signed to 2026-27 at $6.5M and has a NT. They only have Parayko at $5.5M for two more years and he is their future. Pietro's long term retirement contract will overlap with Paraykos and that much money on RD only will bury them. Faulk was signed to offset the loss of AP. Now if they win another Cup this season it might end up "future be damned" and they sacrifice tomorrow for a shot at three. If they don't I can't see them being to interested in mortgaging the future to keep a team intact that needs changes, Thats a lot of cap room.

Burns at 35 has still got game but I don't think he plays D as well as Pietrangelo plus he has an $8M cap hit and NTC to age 39. You would need to move Willie + to clear the space and I expect the last 3 years would be pretty iffy. Even if SJ retained some money i think he is too old to commit all that D cap to. I'm not sure if Dubas would even be in the hunt for Pietrangelo but he seems like a much safer bet. If they trade Willie I think they would want someones prime years coming back.
With the flat cap. Unless Pietra signs for 800K-1mil for a year. There is no way Leafs could sign him without trading both Marner and Willie.
To say TEAMS will just take on Kerfoot, Kap and AJ without any salaries coming back is a bit unrealistic. Even if that is the case, and Leafs somehow finds THREE players who are decent and fill in their spots at 800K each, the Leafs will only get around 7.5mil cap space.
I highly doubt any teams is willing to take Marner and/or Willie without any players with more than league min coming back.
Ducks and Kings seem like an option but that will depend on Kesler(LTIR or coming back) and league allowing buyout(Carter or Brown).
The good thing for Dubas and Leafs is that for the first time in a while, may due to COVID and the flat cap, or just disappointment after the playin, there are a lot of teams looking for retool, Preds, Wilds, Pens, Oilers, Flames, Jets, Panthers, Caps and even BJs (since they can't get pass 2nd round).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad