I was going to give a big breakdown, but it comes down to two words: Alex Pietrangelo

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
This is obviously a good plan, one I have been preaching for awhile. Get a strong defence and it will make any goalie look good...reimer playing right now for carolina?
I'd let freddy and even nylander leave if we could finally have a legit top 4...but...

All depends on numbers. With tavares I was so excitted but I also remember thinking I wouldn't go a cent over 10M, his age and how it would affect kids contracts.
If pietro asks for too much then I'd look elsewhere...7-8M would be my max
BUT I'm very scared of the thought dubas negotiating another top free agent so...

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
You arent going to find sympathy from this fanbase if you're Marner or Nylander at this point. Both of them squeezed out every single penny that they could and now they're feeling the wrath of playing here. When you come across as selfish and greedy, nobody cares about your humanity.
Willy and Mitch put in more than adequate to secure their contracts. Willy is a natural center but he accepted the role as winger. This is called taking one for the team. Mitch's dynamic play is the sole reason JT had career numbers his first year with the Leafs. This team will be fine once these two are paired with suitable line mates. Neither are shutdown types, and will compliment any line mate who are. Time space and sandpaper is a combination that is very hard to contain.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Tavares is 29 and his contract already looks very suspect. Pietrangelo is already 30 (almost 31). I don't think the Leafs will have fun navigating one 30+ player making 11 million long term, let alone adding another

Dubas should be fired if he signs Petro for $11M, Shanny should as well for allowing it. If the Blues allow him to walk I bet Petro is willing to give a discount to play at home. My thinking is that it is either the Blues or Leafs.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Dubas should be fired if he signs Petro for $11M, Shanny should as well for allowing it. If the Blues allow him to walk I bet Petro is willing to give a discount to play at home. My thinking is that it is either the Blues or Leafs.
If i understand it,,he has already turned down 8.5 from the blues

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
9 would be the max for me and we might have to move another big contract to acquire the other missing pieces.

I’m not saying we go for Petro. If we do it’s 8-8.5
And full SB

most top D are buit with 4-6 Million d men. I don’t think we need an 8 million.......

My bet is hall still

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I’m not saying we go for Petro. If we do it’s 8-8.5
And full SB

most top D are buit with 4-6 Million d men. I don’t think we need an 8 million.......

My bet is hall still

Hall upsets the balance more than it already is. The media would have a field day.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Hall upsets the balance more than it already is. The media would have a field day.

ya but then we trade willy. I personally think hall comes for 7-7.5 and then we trade nylander.

he wants stability and a competitor. He just bought a house here calls Kingston His hometown. Where his friend and family are Why would a person buy a big house in a suburb of Toronto? Etobicoke is settle down town.

This is just my interpretation but

1.) hall/marner share an agent (ugh)
2.) Hall rents house off Matthews
3.) hall is friends with Tavares and they train together
4.) hall repeatedly mentions Kingston as his family hometown and where his girlfriend is from
5.) in the middle of a pandemic and about to become a UFA (before the NHL even decides they are coming back) hall buys a big house in a suburb of Toronto right where the team practices every morning
6.) hall does an interview where he says it’s not about the cap hit but stability and competitiveness.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
ya but then we trade willy. I personally think hall comes for 7-7.5 and then we trade nylander.

he wants stability and a competitor. He just bought a house here calls Kingston His hometown. Where his friend and family are Why would a person buy a big house in a suburb of Toronto? Etobicoke is settle down town.

If they can sign Hall and flip Nylander/Marner for a top 4 dman, it makes sense. It is the most logical way to make up for a dry pipeline.

Hall Matthews Hyman
Robbie Tavares Marner
Soup/AJ/??? Kerfoot Kappy
???? Engval ????

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I can't speak for other fan bases but it seems like this fan base is in the mindset that one guy will be the difference between Cup and no cup.

Keep in mind AP has won ONE cup and that was only because some unknown goalie played 20 levels above his abilities and stole the playoffs.

AP would be a piece but this team clearly needs much more than just one guy.

People said we needed a legit 1st line center, yep that was the missing piece.We drafted Matthews.

People said we needed a legit starter, we traded for Andersen.

People said w need scoring depth, we drafted Nylander, and Marner and signed JT.

People said we need a legit 1A defender, we developed Rielly.

People said we need grit on our defence, we traded for Muzzin.

We always seem to be one player away... we are not JUST one player away...

Reactions: qqaz

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I can't speak for other fan bases but it seems like this fan base is in the mindset that one guy will be the difference between Cup and no cup.

Keep in mind AP has won ONE cup and that was only because some unknown goalie played 20 levels above his abilities and stole the playoffs.

AP would be a piece but this team clearly needs much more than just one guy.

People said we needed a legit 1st line center, yep that was the missing piece.We drafted Matthews.

People said we needed a legit starter, we traded for Andersen.

People said w need scoring depth, we drafted Nylander, and Marner and signed JT.

People said we need a legit 1A defender, we developed Rielly.

People said we need grit on our defence, we traded for Muzzin.

We always seem to be one player away... we are not JUST one player away...

i have been here a vary long time and i don't recall any of the sane posters here saying

"xxxxxxx" one players makes us a cup contender

it was always "we have very bad tending" that needs fixing
"we have no strength up the middle" that needs fixing

and the #1 need we have now is to have a RHS D that can handle top pairing minutes and competition

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
Yea guys let’s add another 10mil piece. That way we can use the remaining 32mil to fill out the other 18 spots. Shouldn’t be tough, just like it was going to be easy when we signed Tavares...

Add 6mil for a decent goalie, that’s a lot of holes to fill with that much cash left...

Are we expecting to fill out our bottom 6 with marlies?

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
People around here complain about Tavare's contract already but they also wanna sign a 30 yr old defenseman with history to show that that will be an absolutely bad idea by year 4. Never change

Reactions: mclaren55

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
i have been here a vary long time and i don't recall any of the sane posters here saying

"xxxxxxx" one players makes us a cup contender

it was always "we have very bad tending" that needs fixing
"we have no strength up the middle" that needs fixing

and the #1 need we have now is to have a RHS D that can handle top pairing minutes and competition

People don't say we need one player but once we sign one player lots are planning the parade. Go back and take a look at the posts when JT was signed or when Matthews was drafted....

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

This is just my interpretation but

1.) hall/marner share an agent (ugh)
2.) Hall rents house off Matthews
3.) hall is friends with Tavares and they train together
4.) hall repeatedly mentions Kingston as his family hometown and where his girlfriend is from
5.) in the middle of a pandemic and about to become a UFA (before the NHL even decides they are coming back) hall buys a big house in a suburb of Toronto right where the team practices every morning
6.) hall does an interview where he says it’s not about the cap hit but stability and competitiveness.

Would be amazing if that happened.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
First, for those of you who like to work the abacus, is this possible with movement of players, or is this a pipe dream (realizing movement will occur)?

I stated earlier in a post that when Giordano was available as a free agent, a less talented team was in the blue and white and then, I believed we should have tried to get him. A #1 D man is vital for any team, and this one needs some men in the lineup. Get rid of any talent on the team not named Matthews or Muzzin to find space to get him, if you can. It's that simple.

Just as when a player like JT became a free agent, you have to go for it (I don't fault them, though I thought they were rushing the rebuild, his UFA timing, not theirs) if you can, the same has to be said for a guy like Alex. Just as a Matthews or JT can be a game changer, so can a #1 D man.

To me this is the guy who can solve many problems. When you have a #1 D man who can eat 24-25 minutes, along with Muzzin and Reilly (1A's), you have complete confidence from the forwards in playing their game, real depth in the backend and unshakable comfort, like a solid goalie. We are cornered due to the cap, I understand that, so there will be real movement and a reliance of development (i.e Robertson).

Yes, Leafs didn't score this series, I expected it to be a problem against CBJ, obviously there will be some changes up front, they will be support roles, secondary "battling" (and keeping the other team off the scoreboard). There will be some subtraction but a very vital addition. To me, this would be my primary Plan A if feasible. Now, they have their answer about this group in it's current incarnation, it's time to rework the lineup, not rebuild.

Thoughts?
What . Rielly is better then him by himself and you would trade him to sign an older D man in his way down. Hell no to him. He will be over paid and not worth the money.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

My gut tells me he is going to Boston, they have plenty of cap space. 20 players signed with $15.5 mil of projected cap space Boston Bruins - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps . Chara and Krug are both UFA's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad