I was going to give a big breakdown, but it comes down to two words: Alex Pietrangelo

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
AP is not the answer unless he's coming in really cheap.

5 guys eating $50M is just as dumb as 4 guys eating $40M. Especially with a flat cap on the horizon.

You sign AP, you have to clear forward depth and then it's harder to keep guys like Reilly and Andersen. Which could be fine, but who do you replace them with when you have very little money to play with.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don't think it will happen, but I do wonder if Covid makes the appeal of coming home a little stronger. Maybe players start to prioritize family time a little more, or just want to be closer with more uncertainty in the world.
Not sure did I heard it right but didn’t he said he was driving from Toronto to St.Louis for Camp. Which would mean he already moved his family to Toronto due to COVID. If that’s true, that’s certainly an advantage.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
The Big 3 Adventures would suggest that that's worth jack shit

I am hoping Dubas learned from his mistakes along the way. He had Tavares no need to have caved. I am convinced he would of came for even less. Don’t think there was really any other option besides TO for him. Kind think the same for Petro.

Matthews he should of held out for 8 years. However long it took. The offer sheet threat was none existent IMO. Doubt someone would pay 4 1st for anything less than 7 years of Matthews. So the offer sheet may have actually helped us. Marner he should have laughed in his face. If he wait for the others to bridge their players first it would of made Marners demands look just as stupid as they were

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Just playing along. If The rumour of SJ offer to JT was really 13mil and JT took 2 mil less to join the Leafs. Then if Pietra pulls a JT, would that mean he will also take 2mil less than the best offer to come home. If that’s the case and the best offer for Pietra is 10mil, that would be Leafs can sign Pietra at 8mil. Lol

I'm not sure he will be using that kind of math :) If the Leafs are even in on him I think the only other offer to be concerned about comes from the Blues and it won't be much over $8M. $9M and 1 dollars makes him the third highest paid D man in the league and would be a bargain x 7. They can all go 8yrs now correct? I would rather the 7 than the 8 but the extra year would reduce the AAV. I guess the Bruins may or may not be in on it as Z is coming to the end of his road. They are half way there with Krug gone. Or they go in anyways just to drive up the bidding. Maybe the X draft and the flat cap scares everyone and StL is the only offer? Still not sure how Stl can make it work with that Faulk contract.

This years FAs and how clubs deal with no money is going to it a very interesting off season to watch, even if Dubas doesn't pull a rabbit out of his AS hat to save the day.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
I don't think it will happen, but I do wonder if Covid makes the appeal of coming home a little stronger. Maybe players start to prioritize family time a little more, or just want to be closer with more uncertainty in the world.
I could see some walking away especially if they have to bubble from family for extended periods of time.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Just playing along. If The rumour of SJ offer to JT was really 13mil and JT took 2 mil less to join the Leafs. Then if Pietra pulls a JT, would that mean he will also take 2mil less than the best offer to come home. If that’s the case and the best offer for Pietra is 10mil, that would be Leafs can sign Pietra at 8mil. Lol
The beauty of FA's most will have no clue what their thinking.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The Devils are the team with the most cap space right now with $7 mil, which means no team can take on Marner without getting rid of salary in some way. So real cash or not, the Leafs will have to bring money back in any Marner deal.

Because of that, I highly doubt Pietrangelo is a realistic target. The defense gets better, but the offense becomes a one line team. One of Matthews or Tavares will have to carry a line big time. Plus the team gets older and there continues to be no cap space for future improvements.
where do people like you come from???????????

LA has 20.7m in cap,,,,Sens have 40 m in cap space,,Devils have like 26m

there are LOTS of teams with cap space

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

What team is in a position to offer Pietrangelo $10 million though? To me, the big spenders have already spent and there are a few random spots around the league that are not capped out and they're in full on rebuild mode like Detroit, New Jersey, Ottawa and LA.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
What team is in a position to offer Pietrangelo $10 million though? To me, the big spenders have already spent and there are a few random spots around the league that are not capped out and they're in full on rebuild mode like Detroit, New Jersey, Ottawa and LA.

The habs.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
All those teams other than Ottawa would love Pietrangelo as it speeds up their rebuild. The Senators would not spend the money.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
All those teams other than Ottawa would love Pietrangelo as it speeds up their rebuild. The Senators would not spend the money.

Yeah, but does Pietrangelo want to go to an early rebuild at age 30. I would assume no, but weirder things have happened.

Reactions: Buds17

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Pietrangelo is a good d man, and he was what the team should be looking for, but the term and AAV would be too much for a guy that much sooner rather than later (like Tavares) will slow down, and that's not something the Leafs need right now. Too many bad contracts as is in Toronto. If the Leafs can, I think they should look to move Tavares and Marner, and get the help they need that way.

Bad contracts don't matter anymore in the eyes of management. We have 4 years left of Matthews. You 100% swing at Piet and see if you can get him.

That being said, one of Nylander/Marner would have to go. Marner would be the easiest to trade, teams would know we'd be handcuffed with Nylander salary gone stil, and Marner is a top playmaker that would get many teams interested.

I personally dont see this core winning and theres way too much salary up front, so if we could swap out Marner for Pietrangelo and futures, I'd considering it. Nylander just won't get out enough salary to fix the cap or i would keep Marner.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
AP is not the answer unless he's coming in really cheap.

5 guys eating $50M is just as dumb as 4 guys eating $40M. Especially with a flat cap on the horizon.

You sign AP, you have to clear forward depth and then it's harder to keep guys like Reilly and Andersen. Which could be fine, but who do you replace them with when you have very little money to play with.
4 guys eating 40M isnt as dumb if some of them are D-men

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
where do people like you come from???????????

LA has 20.7m in cap,,,,Sens have 40 m in cap space,,Devils have like 26m

there are LOTS of teams with cap space

teams have to pay in real money. Which they don’t have. Heck teams are laying off the hot dog guy.

Petro was arguing over SB before the pandemic. Which the reigning champs didn’t want to do.

now it’s more important than ever. They are talking about bubble hockey next year. Who knows when the league starts.

a team that pays Petro 50 million in SB would ha e to pay it even if there were no games......

Good luck ottawa

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Rielly doesn’t need to play with Pietrangelo to play like a 1d. He did that carrying around an old Ron Hainsey. He just needs someone that knows how to play defence, stay at home, and hopefully someone who plays the body. If you sign Pietrangelo and don’t trade one of your forwards, you’re making it obvious that you have no plans to extend Rielly as we won’t be able to afford him

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Rielly doesn’t need to play with Pietrangelo to play like a 1d. He did that carrying around an old Ron Hainsey. He just needs someone that knows how to play defence, stay at home, and hopefully someone who plays the body. If you sign Pietrangelo and don’t trade one of your forwards, you’re making it obvious that you have no plans to extend Rielly as we won’t be able to afford him
Reilly is 2 years away from UFA,,,relax

you make Muzz/Pietra your #1 pair,,,then it's wayyyyy easier to find MR a 2nd pair RHS D for him to run with

heck i would not mind seeing Bogosian there. He is a UFA and coming off a 1.3m contract

Muzz/Pietra 8m
Riels/Bogo 1.3m
Sandin/holl
lilly

i can live with that D

Reactions: ToneDog

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Would it be great to have him? Sure.

Does it make cap sense? Not really.

Was defence our big problem this year and we should make panic moves to fix it? Nope.

With Sandin and Liljegren ready to start playing, the D only needs a cheaper than Ceci type defensive D and as long as they are as competent as this year, the D should be fine looking forward. 3rd and 4th lines will be the main focus (as the Kappy trade already showed). I think a full year under Keefe is going to show how good this team is and I dont think the D will be as ravaged by injuries as it was this past year as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad