Speculation: "I want to win cups" (All Drew Doughty Proposals here)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't know if this thread can get any more ridiculous.

I thought it was insanity when people were suggesting Marner + Lil + but now we have talked our way over to Marner + Nylander + "serious adds"

Leafs want no part of trading for DD.

DD will not fetch anywhere near what LA fans think. In the old NHL someone would have given you drunk sailor amounts of assets for him, but in the new cap NHL nobody is going to give you a boatload of ELC studs for a guy going UFA no matter what his past accomplishments are.

This guy gets it. If he's looking to leave (which pretty much everyone agrees hes not) the Kings would not have a lot of leverage here. The return would still be good but not the riches some would expect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
First off, every time this is brought up it is Marner ++ or Nylander ++ or Marner + Nylander etc. etc. So it's not just ONE player. **** man I've seen such bs as Marner + Rielly +1st in threads other than this one. So, I don't buy that part of your argument, regardless of what your "proposed trade" was.

Secondly, if you listen to Shanahan, Babcock and Lamoriello they are trying to build a perennial contender for a decade or longer. Which helps that more? Two years of Doughty or 9-10 years of Marner/Nylander?

You know what REALLY helps that? 9-10 years of Matthews+Marner+Nylander AND 7 years of Doughty (or any other quality Dman). Doughty is a great option no doubt, but he is far from our only option.

This team will get better defensively just through our young forwards gaining more experience at the NHL level.
This team will get better defensively as our d-men grow and get more experience (a 23 year old and an NHL rookie were our top pairing and top 10 in QofC last year)
This team will get better defensively as some of our weaker defensive forwards are replaced by better two-way players.
This team will get better defensively as Freddy Andersen continues to grow as a starter.

There are a lot of ways this team can get better defensively without adding Drew Doughty.

There are a lot of ways this team can win a Cup without adding Drew Doughty.

Some of us still believe in patience, as evidenced by the poll that has been running on the Leaf forum which asks "Who would you trade for Doughty? Marner? Nylander? Neither?

Neither is winning with 81% of the vote.

This. I'd be willing to trade Marner or Nylander as the centerpiece of a package for a resigned Doughty but not both. And there is no way in hell I'd consider even for a moment trading either one for two years of Doughty.

Some people seem to think our "cup window" is closing when the truth is that it's just beginning to open and it won't even be wide open for another couple of years when Marner/Nylander/Matthews start approaching their peaks along with our other young guys. And when the window does swing open, it should be open for the next decade. Giving up one of the best young players in the league who can be a star player for us for that decade for a Dman who could walk away just when we're becoming top contenders is madness.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Well it seems that Kings fans value "going for it" and keeping the window open more than all else so why not look at this the other way;

Give us Vilardi + 1st Rd Pick 2018 for JVR and you can keep DD happy by competing! Just give us all those blue chips for our UFA guys and both sides will be happy

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
This Doughty discussion won't be going away any time soon. If Doughty truly wants to win cups, I can't see him staying in LA after his contract is up. No offense intended for LA but there are some lean years coming for that team.

With that said, it's an interesting thought as to what team Doughty might choose to win cups with. To me it comes down to 3 teams:

1. Edmonton

McDavid will be attracting the top talent as the Oilers start to become an annual cup threat for at least a decade which I feel is inevitable. McDavid will win a cup in his career and I think it's going to happen sooner than later. The Oilers should presumably be able to absorb Doughty as the Oilers core are not yet in their UFA years.

Moving from LA to Edmonton is a tough one though. Locale is definitely a minus for this choice.

2. Tampa

Near term cup contender for sure and I can totally see him uniting with his buddy Stamkos and going on a few cup runs in a couple years. Doughty is more aligned with their age group and the Locale of Tampa from LA isn't half bad either. To me the Lightning are a strong contender to get Doughty. Lest not forget the taxes situation as well.

3. Toronto

Superstars attract superstars and Doughty could easily be a Leaf as they are going to be the Oilers of the east with Matthews, Marner and Nylander. Locale works in his favour as he is from the area and could very well be attracted to playing for the biggest market on the biggest stage with Babcock as the coach.

Pittsburgh could be on this list too, but I am not convinced it's a good fit long term. Doughty to me seems better off moving to a team with it's core drafted after 2008.

As far as trade goes, that's going to be tough. A trade for a player like Doughty is going to be tough. I wonder if any of the 3 teams can put a package together next draft so that they can get him before free agency. I think it will depend on how each of the three teams do during the season because they'll have to dump the farm to go for it and won't do that unless they are convinced Doughty would win them the cup the following season.

member 88115

Well it seems that Kings fans value "going for it" and keeping the window open more than all else so why not look at this the other way;

Give us Vilardi + 1st Rd Pick 2018 for JVR and you can keep DD happy by competing! Just give us all those blue chips for our UFA guys and both sides will be happy

When JVR is as good as Malkin, we can talk.

member 88115

you think Vilardi and a 1st gets you Malkin?
The point is that JVR is no where near a top 3 talent in his position. And if he was as good as Malkin, we could talk. I consider Doughty a top 3 talent in his position, which is something JVR is not.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
The point is that JVR is no where near a top 3 talent in his position. And if he was as good as Malkin, we could talk. I consider Doughty a top 3 talent in his position, which is something JVR is not.

Well in that case call me when Vilardi is as good as Marner or Nylander.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Doughty for JVR wasn't mentioned.

member 88115

Well in that case call me when Vilardi is as good as Marner or Nylander.
Truth can sting, but we don't need Vilardi to do anything except get better. Our Center position is just fine at the moment. Thank You for Your Concern

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
This Doughty discussion won't be going away any time soon. If Doughty truly wants to win cups, I can't see him staying in LA after his contract is up. No offense intended for LA but there are some lean years coming for that team.

With that said, it's an interesting thought as to what team Doughty might choose to win cups with. To me it comes down to 3 teams:

1. Edmonton

McDavid will be attracting the top talent as the Oilers start to become an annual cup threat for at least a decade which I feel is inevitable. McDavid will win a cup in his career and I think it's going to happen sooner than later. The Oilers should presumably be able to absorb Doughty as the Oilers core are not yet in their UFA years.

Moving from LA to Edmonton is a tough one though. Locale is definitely a minus for this choice.

2. Tampa

Near term cup contender for sure and I can totally see him uniting with his buddy Stamkos and going on a few cup runs in a couple years. Doughty is more aligned with their age group and the Locale of Tampa from LA isn't half bad either. To me the Lightning are a strong contender to get Doughty. Lest not forget the taxes situation as well.

3. Toronto

Superstars attract superstars and Doughty could easily be a Leaf as they are going to be the Oilers of the east with Matthews, Marner and Nylander. Locale works in his favour as he is from the area and could very well be attracted to playing for the biggest market on the biggest stage with Babcock as the coach.

Pittsburgh could be on this list too, but I am not convinced it's a good fit long term. Doughty to me seems better off moving to a team with it's core drafted after 2008.

As far as trade goes, that's going to be tough. A trade for a player like Doughty is going to be tough. I wonder if any of the 3 teams can put a package together next draft so that they can get him before free agency. I think it will depend on how each of the three teams do during the season because they'll have to dump the farm to go for it and won't do that unless they are convinced Doughty would win them the cup the following season.

I think he ends up in Philly

From the Flyers perspective: Hextall has been looking for a top notch right handed defenseman since he got to Philly. He would know Doughty from their time together in LA. The Flyers are loaded with prospects but it will take time for them to get up to speed. Having a guy like Doughty would provide a ton of cover for them to grow. The team will likely miss the playoffs again this year adding a little pressure for Hextall do something besides just draft and develop. With their pool of defense prospects they could put a nice package of players together next summer in trade without killing their system. And since their team will be getting younger and cheaper over the next few seasons, the cap could be managed in the long term.

From Doughty's perspective: Philly is not a cup contender right now but their future looks bright. They have some decent veterans in place that adding Doughty would put them into the playoffs immediately much like adding Campbell did for Chicago. A guy like Provorov could help extend Doughty's career as he won't feel the burden of carrying the defense alone into his mid30's. And Philly comes with significantly less pressure and significantly more anonymity than Edmonton and Toronto even though being one of the more popular markets. Wayne Simmonds was one of his good friends in LA and can easily sell him on the market.

That being said he will probably sign with the Rangers!

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga

From the Flyers perspective: Hextall has been looking for a top notch right handed defenseman since he got to Philly. He would know Doughty from their time together in LA. The Flyers are loaded with prospects but it will take time for them to get up to speed. Having a guy like Doughty would provide a ton of cover for them to grow. The team will likely miss the playoffs again this year adding a little pressure for Hextall do something besides just draft and develop. With their pool of defense prospects they could put a nice package of players together next summer in trade without killing their system. And since their team will be getting younger and cheaper over the next few seasons, the cap could be managed in the long term.

From Doughty's perspective: Philly is not a cup contender right now but their future looks bright. They have some decent veterans in place that adding Doughty would put them into the playoffs immediately much like adding Campbell did for Chicago. A guy like Provorov could help extend Doughty's career as he won't feel the burden of carrying the defense alone into his mid30's. And Philly comes with significantly less pressure and significantly more anonymity than Edmonton and Toronto even though being one of the more popular markets. Wayne Simmonds was one of his good friends in LA and can easily sell him on the market.

Good point about Philly. I hadn't considered them for the same reason I hadn't considered Carolina. I felt that Philly had a solid D group already but I can't argue with your reasoning at all.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

All this makes sense. Especially the bolded part. :laugh:

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
First off, every time this is brought up it is Marner ++ or Nylander ++ or Marner + Nylander etc. etc. So it's not just ONE player. **** man I've seen such bs as Marner + Rielly +1st in threads other than this one. So, I don't buy that part of your argument, regardless of what your "proposed trade" was.

Secondly, if you listen to Shanahan, Babcock and Lamoriello they are trying to build a perennial contender for a decade or longer. Which helps that more? Two years of Doughty or 9-10 years of Marner/Nylander?

You know what REALLY helps that? 9-10 years of Matthews+Marner+Nylander AND 7 years of Doughty (or any other quality Dman). Doughty is a great option no doubt, but he is far from our only option.

This team will get better defensively just through our young forwards gaining more experience at the NHL level.
This team will get better defensively as our d-men grow and get more experience (a 23 year old and an NHL rookie were our top pairing and top 10 in QofC last year)
This team will get better defensively as some of our weaker defensive forwards are replaced by better two-way players.
This team will get better defensively as Freddy Andersen continues to grow as a starter.

There are a lot of ways this team can get better defensively without adding Drew Doughty.

There are a lot of ways this team can win a Cup without adding Drew Doughty.

Some of us still believe in patience, as evidenced by the poll that has been running on the Leaf forum which asks "Who would you trade for Doughty? Marner? Nylander? Neither?

Neither is winning with 81% of the vote.

The key word of on your team is your team. That means on your roster Liljegren does not play for the leafs nor does anyone called first round pick. Now if u said future that
is a totally different thing. Oh and not one king fan especially this one (who you quote) mentions getting Reilly in this trade. I and i believe most king fans want Liljegren. It was leaf fan mentioning him and non king fans.

Next your 2 years of competing for a cup to me would be worth to me even thou the odd are he would resign. Lets be realistic there is no way la trades drew this year. As stated elsewhere King gm blake thinks we can be a playoff team and Drew is a huge part of that. I believe any trade of Drew happens after july 7 ish 2018 after the kings figure out what it will take to resign him (my disired outcome) If he doesn't resign or the kings decide to rebuild the kings will then let any team talk to drews agent to sign a contract extension and then trade him.

As for your hoping he gets to ufa that is not going to happen as we will trade him to a team that will resign him as part of the trade. As done above. So either he resigns with the kings or his new team He will not hit ufa no elite player does.

Your hoping ur defense man get better defensively I don't see it happening I think you have already seen the best reilly and gardner can do on there own Adding a true number one to your team would lessen the time on ice and strengthen the quality of defense that is played by the other defense. Just think if drew can make the kings go from 17th when hes off the ice defensively to 3rd How much he could help the leaf defensively.

I don't think anderson is the right goalie either but he does have a chance with a better defense in front of him Drew would hep his stats immensely.

Are there other ways to improve the leafs of course there is however i don't see them type of moves available to them right now.

As i said before will say again you can wait for as long as you want till you get a true number one defense man in leaf nation your not getting a cup imo. Too me your looking at 4 years to develop said number one. That puts all your 3 off elcs and pushes your depth out. If it means anything i was the same way when la traded for Richard I was all stay the course however it was the move that put us into contenders and knowing now how things worked out i do it 100/100

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
If he were traded, why would that presumably be?

If hes traded La would be committing to going thru a rebuild. However as stated elsewhere i don't see it till after July 15th ish 2018 to increase the value of drew as the new team can negotiate with him to see if he can resign which seems to be leaf nations issue of giving up fair value.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
This guy gets it. If he's looking to leave (which pretty much everyone agrees hes not) the Kings would not have a lot of leverage here. The return would still be good but not the riches some would expect.

If he was looking to leave and go to a certain team you would be correct However he said he doesn't care where hes going therefore a bidding war would happen between i would guess at least 5 teams. Kings would have a lot of power in negotiation

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
So we have to wait either til next year if and when Doughty signs an extension or 2 years if he doesn't sign and all this is over. Great it's going to be a long ****ing 2 years

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Also you got to give to get Leaf fans . Let's say Doughty don't resign well I'm sure Kings brass will allow every team interested to talk to his agent and try and get him to sign a contract and offer a better package than the leafs . Throw big money at Doughty and he will sign. Leafs are not guaranteed to win a cup so your team is not the only one possible . Get over yourselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00