Speculation: "I want to win cups" (All Drew Doughty Proposals here)

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
“I’d love to re-sign in L.A. But if our team isn’t going in the right direction… I want to win Cups. I don’t give a s— where I play. I just want to win Cups, and that’s the bottom line.â€

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/doughty-potentially-leaving-kings-just-want-win-cups/

Doughty just made it clear if the Kings aren't contending before his contract is up he will sign elsewhere.

What do you guys offer?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I think he ends up in TOR under Babcock.

This guy is a winner. Doughty revels in big game moments.

I think he ends up in TOR.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015

He will easily get 9.5+ in a free market, within 2 years the kids will all need to be resigned to long term deals. Where is this cap space for Doughty coming from?

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
He will easily get 9.5+ in a free market, within 2 years the kids will all need to be resigned to long term deals. Where is this cap space for Doughty coming from?

lose killorn+callahan, let sustr and girardi walk in the next couple years

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He's going to pull a Durant and sign with the Penguins, duh :sarcasm:

But for real, I doubt he leaves LA. I can't even see that many good teams having the cap space to bring him in. Maybe Dallas if they trade Spezza for futures? He'd be a 1 year rental and I think there would be quite a few contending teams that would want him.

Oilers are favorite it seems..

With what cap space are the Oilers going to shed out $10 million for Doughty?

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Just like every other UFA?

My guess would be Tampa.

I'm not a TOR fan, but they will need to move money to accommodate.

He fills a need for that team. They will need to sacrifice a key piece to get Doughty.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
He's going to pull a Durant and sign with the Penguins, duh :sarcasm:

But for real, I doubt he leaves LA. I can't even see that many good teams having the cap space to bring him in. Maybe Dallas if they trade Spezza for futures? He'd be a 1 year rental and I think there would be quite a few contending teams that would want him.

With what cap space are the Oilers going to shed out $10 million for Doughty?

He said he doesn't care what team he plays on. He only cares about winning the cup. There's no reason to believe that he'd stay

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He said he doesn't care what team he plays on. He only cares about winning the cup. There's no reason to believe that he'd stay

How often do you actually see players of this caliber leaving their teams? I think it has just been Parise and Sutter in "recent" years, and that "recent" year was in 2012. It's totally believable he'd stay because franchise players stay literally all of the time with their teams.

If he actually only cares about winning cups, the only team people should be saying here is Pittsburgh, in that he'd take a ridiculously low amount of money to play in Pittsburgh. Does anyone actually think he'd do that?

Edit: actually, if the Penguins were to trade Maatta for a center, the Penguins could afford Doughty at $10 million next offseason if the cap would go up to $77 or $78 million. That would be fun to see.

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Judging by his quotes this is one guy I have increasing feelings will definitely leave LA.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

We cannot afford to sign Doughty. As much as i'd love him, that would be a ridiculous amount of cap tied up in 4-5 players. If it's a short term deal it may be doable but i just dont think that makes sense for him.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
may not necessarily matter where he plays, but at the same time the team with the highest chances of winning a cup probably couldnt afford him at market value. so either he takes a big pay cut, or gets top dollar and years with a team with...reasonable expectations to compete for a cup soon.

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
We cannot afford to sign Doughty. As much as i'd love him, that would be a ridiculous amount of cap tied up in 4-5 players. If it's a short term deal it may be doable but i just dont think that makes sense for him.

Leafs would trade Nylander to make room for Doughty.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Kings are going to look ugly without Doughty. I think he leaves and usually I don't say that about big name FA's, I think most stay and they usually do, I don't see that with Doughty. Come to the Rangers if you're reading this:sarcasm:

McD-Doughty
Skjei-Smith
Bereglazov-Shatty
Deangelo

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Just like every other UFA?

My guess would be Tampa.

yeah and how is tampa affording to add a 10 million dollar player?

after Kucherov gets his massive raise to 10m before that same season, tampa has 52 million spent on 8 players. signing doughty means they can't even fill out the roster.

oh and spare the everyone to the leafs bit. dont act like flames fans don't hanker for every big name UFA as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad