Speculation: "I want to win cups" (All Drew Doughty Proposals here)

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Or just until he signs an extension. Then you can laugh at everyone and tell them to get lost. :laugh:

Lol true and I sure hope so. We will have to wait until next year but there's also a good chance of him resigning . If and when he resigns with us oh believe me we will be blowing this thread up haha .

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Also you got to give to get Leaf fans . Let's say Doughty don't resign well I'm sure Kings brass will allow every team interested to talk to his agent and try and get him to sign a contract and offer a better package than the leafs . Throw big money at Doughty and he will sign. Leafs are not guaranteed to win a cup so your team is not the only one possible . Get over yourselves.

I am going to ask you for a favor, please direct this type of statement at a specific one or more people, not our whole fanbase....some of us have actually made some solid offers.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Also you got to give to get Leaf fans . Let's say Doughty don't resign well I'm sure Kings brass will allow every team interested to talk to his agent and try and get him to sign a contract and offer a better package than the leafs . Throw big money at Doughty and he will sign. Leafs are not guaranteed to win a cup so your team is not the only one possible . Get over yourselves.

thats not exactly how UFA works

and as far as the Leafs chances to win a cup, vegas likes them...a lot:nod:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

You don't do yourself any favours when you make up arguments, attribute them to others and then argue against the points you have invented. You are literally arguing with yourself. Better yet arguing with yourself and saying "get over yourselves".

Last edited:

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I am going to ask you for a favor, please direct this type of statement at a specific one or more people, not our whole fanbase....some of us have actually made some solid offers.

lifer my friend i very much would support this idea if you can get the rest of Leaf Nation to do the same. Kingsfan1 is not the first to fire such a comment Hell not even the first king fan ( i will claim guilty to it) However i did so after more then one Leaf fan use the same type of comment about king fans

LoovTrain

Stanley... Come Home
May 6, 2015
Toronto
The key word of on your team is your team. That means on your roster Liljegren does not play for the leafs nor does anyone called first round pick. Now if u said future that
is a totally different thing. Oh and not one king fan especially this one (who you quote) mentions getting Reilly in this trade. I and i believe most king fans want Liljegren. It was leaf fan mentioning him and non king fans.

Next your 2 years of competing for a cup to me would be worth to me even thou the odd are he would resign. Lets be realistic there is no way la trades drew this year. As stated elsewhere King gm blake thinks we can be a playoff team and Drew is a huge part of that. I believe any trade of Drew happens after july 7 ish 2018 after the kings figure out what it will take to resign him (my disired outcome) If he doesn't resign or the kings decide to rebuild the kings will then let any team talk to drews agent to sign a contract extension and then trade him.

As for your hoping he gets to ufa that is not going to happen as we will trade him to a team that will resign him as part of the trade. As done above. So either he resigns with the kings or his new team He will not hit ufa no elite player does.

Your hoping ur defense man get better defensively I don't see it happening I think you have already seen the best reilly and gardner can do on there own Adding a true number one to your team would lessen the time on ice and strengthen the quality of defense that is played by the other defense. Just think if drew can make the kings go from 17th when hes off the ice defensively to 3rd How much he could help the leaf defensively.

I don't think anderson is the right goalie either but he does have a chance with a better defense in front of him Drew would hep his stats immensely.

Are there other ways to improve the leafs of course there is however i don't see them type of moves available to them right now.

As i said before will say again you can wait for as long as you want till you get a true number one defense man in leaf nation your not getting a cup imo. Too me your looking at 4 years to develop said number one. That puts all your 3 off elcs and pushes your depth out. If it means anything i was the same way when la traded for Richard I was all stay the course however it was the move that put us into contenders and knowing now how things worked out i do it 100/100

Gardiner has improved quite a bit over the last two seasons, so has Kadri. I think it is one hell of an assumption to think we have seen the best of a 23 year-old defenseman (actually, it sounds like an agenda). I know what I saw from Rielly in the playoffs.

When you quit on young players you get the Alex Steen debacle. When you believe in them you get Nazem Kadri.

Do we need another top 4 Dman to be legit contenders? Yeah maybe. But it doesn't necessarily have to be Drew Doughty does it?

There's a lot of room for improvement from within on this team defensively. From our forwards (a lot of room here especially) to our D to our goaltending.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Gardiner has improved quite a bit over the last two seasons, so has Kadri. I think it is one hell of an assumption to think we have seen the best of a 23 year-old defenseman (actually, it sounds like an agenda). I know what I saw from Rielly in the playoffs.

When you quit on young players you get the Alex Steen debacle. When you believe in them you get Nazem Kadri.

Do we need another top 4 Dman to be legit contenders? Yeah maybe. But it doesn't necessarily have to be Drew Doughty does it?

There's a lot of room for improvement from within on this team defensively. From our forwards (a lot of room here especially) to our D to our goaltending.

I totally agree and was hoping that the leafs did and we could get kadri. If you go back to when he was struggling u will see i wanted to trade for him. Always been a Kadri fan. I just don't see the potential in Reilly could i be wrong sure but i see him as a 2nd pairing defense on a cup contender. Hes not the leader on the ice like drew is For leaf nations hopes i do hope he turns out better but its not looking like it to me.
The leafs need a true number one defense man. The last true number one and feel free to tell me if i'm forgetting anyone but to me its Borje Salming but even then he couldn't stay healthy enough but when he was he was but that probably before your time.
I do agree there is alot of room to improve in the defensive area and with drew there it would be a huge step into doing just that.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Drew said he was "misunderstood" and not "misquoted," never misunderestimate the power of presumption:laugh:

Amusingly, his clarification actually reiterates the quote:

"My one comment, 'I don't care where I play. I just want to win [Stanley] Cups.' That is true. I just want to win Cups,"

He then qualifies with a face-saving "with LA" quote that contradicts the above quote:

"When I said that, it didn't mean I didn't want to do it in L.A. The bottom line is all I care about is Cups. I don't want to win a Cup anywhere else but L.A. That's the bottom line."

That quote includes a bunch of nonsense. Taken together - he doesn't care where he plays, he just wants to win Cups, but if he plays somewhere other than LA, he wants to not win a Cup. Clear as mud?

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
If hes traded La would be committing to going thru a rebuild. However as stated elsewhere i don't see it till after July 15th ish 2018 to increase the value of drew as the new team can negotiate with him to see if he can resign which seems to be leaf nations issue of giving up fair value.

So if he is traded, it is because the team has not met his ultimatum and he will otherwise walk

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
So if he is traded, it is because the team has not met his ultimatum and he will otherwise walk

No its the teams decession that would be determining if drew gets traded not drews. The kings may decide to rebuild and get as many assets for all there star players as they can. The may happen if they fail to make the playoffs or if they don't win a round. This all has little to do with what drew said.

I think your need to re read the latest story and quotes then get back to me

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center

Defeinitely understood. And I've always advocated how much I love the Leafs and their young players and how they can be a powerhouse and have the tools and assets to do so. That's why when I see a fan base just think they're better than everyone which is the majority of opinion of most on hfboards it frustrates me . It makes other Leaf fans such as yourself look bad. Now I don't think Doughty is going to leave for sure but if he does gotta give to get because others will beat an offer of your useless players people are throwing around here. I haven't seen some of the other offers .

Vegas has Kings and Torontos odds the same lol. So would you say the Kings have a good chance to win the cup ? Doesn't seem like it so I guess you should get over yourself .

You don't do yourself any favours when you make up arguments, attribute them to others and then argue against the points you have invented. You are literally arguing with yourself. Better yet arguing with yourself and saying "get over yourselves".

See above.

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
I think the biggest factor in this is whether the canadian dollar gains against the US one in the next year or so. The Salary Cap going up would put a lot of already good teams in a position to try and add a guy like doughty. Also I am not sure his value will be as high as people are saying. Will a 29 year old defenceman get more than 8 per year on a long term deal? Also and I know its cliche to say but if he cares about winning he might take a paycut or a short term deal or both.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
I think the biggest factor in this is whether the canadian dollar gains against the US one in the next year or so. The Salary Cap going up would put a lot of already good teams in a position to try and add a guy like doughty. Also I am not sure his value will be as high as people are saying. Will a 29 year old defenceman get more than 8 per year on a long term deal? Also and I know its cliche to say but if he cares about winning he might take a paycut or a short term deal or both.

Doughty is the best player on the Kings. Even his last contract was a higher cap hit than Kopitars. He will get at least 11 million a year whether it's with the Kings or with some other team , he is worth that contract too.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
If the Kings end up trading Doughty, They may as well retain the max on him to raise his value even more, as it would pretty much signal a rebuild.

Personally I think that LA has a big bounce back year and Doughty re signs.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
He was going to get paid no matter where he went but he chose EDM. He's going to continue to get paid the same amount no matter where he plays going forward for the duration of his contract.

So again, I ask, why would he want to waive his NMC to go from a team, the Oilers, who are likely to be cup contenders for years to come, only to go to a team, the Kings, that he didn't want to sign with just over a year ago and a team that Drew Doughty is leaving (if he does leave) because they won't be competitive any time soon? :dunno:

People who think Sekera will waive to go to LA in that scenario are dreaming.

I'm not sure if anyone answered you, so many posts in this thread, he held talks with them but they didn't have enough money to go around

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
No its the teams decession that would be determining if drew gets traded not drews. The kings may decide to rebuild and get as many assets for all there star players as they can. The may happen if they fail to make the playoffs or if they don't win a round. This all has little to do with what drew said.

I think your need to re read the latest story and quotes then get back to me

Right.....the team decides to ignore his ultimatum (win cups), they have to trade him or he walks. Not sure why you are making this so difficult?

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Considering that all of their best prospects are D, why would PHI be interested in DD all that much?

Next up, considering the insane payments that LA fans seem to want from the Leafs (Marner, Lil, 1st), would PHI really want to make a trade like Provorov, Rubstov 1st for DD?

Thanks for your question, and the ensuing discourse, to my original post. Principally, I wanted to point out other angles to the tunnel vision of Toronto and Edmonton as potential destinations. Doughty to Philadelphia isn't a need but, boy, would it be quite the get! It's my (not so) secret wish to accelerate the rebuild. Having a glut of defensive prospects can be seen as a plus (as others commented) in trying to land a ++ defender.

Provorov would be a non-starter. To Flyers fans, he is about as untouchable as Matthews is to Leaf nation. But there isn't a next-tier defenseman I wouldn't include.

Furthermore, the Hextall-Doughty connection I identified would potentially come in plenty handy if Doughty surprisingly gets to UFA.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007

Vegas odds aren't "chances to win a cup." Vegas sets payouts based on the amount of people they believe will place wagers on each team so that regardless of who wins the house comes out on top. Vegas setting a low payout for Toronto means they anticipate a lot of wagers from leafs fans. So yes, it could show some confidence in the team but the general optimism of the massive Toronto fan base heavily skews the payout.

If you took the entire Toronto team and traded them to Florida, Vegas wouldn't give the Panthers the same odds as they're currently giving the leafs. They would have lower odds and therefore a higher payout due to the anticipated fewer wagers from the smaller fan base despite the fact that it be the exact same team.

mintmint

May 6, 2017
you can just tell from him that he wants to quit LA and play with McDavid in Edmonton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad