I think this is a playoff team if....

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
#1 - we wont make playoffs
#2 - not sure why any of you would even WANT to make playoffs, were not competitive and it ruins our chances of a top 5 pick.

I don't think we'll make the playoffs, but the good thing about making it would be because our team is so young that it means we have talented young players which is encouraging for the future. Especially if we make it with Kotkaniemi getting sent back, adding him, Poehling, Suzuki, Brook, etc. to a team that's already playoff-worthy sounds great!

But I do agree that adding someone like Hughes or Kakko to our lineup would be even better

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I don't think Price has done anything in preseason to reassure fan he'll ever go back to his true self ever again...

Yes but it's pre-season. Wait till the season starts.

I say we finish top 2 in division this year - and are in the running for the lead most season.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Ha.ya why would any pro sports team want to make the playoffs?
No pro sports team aims to just make the playoffs, they want to make the playoffs to win it all. If you know you have no chance in hell of winning the cup or worse, finishing 9th or 10th and end up with a late pick and basically get stuck in perpetual mediocrity like we are now, why the *!#@ would you want to?

member 300185

I have to bump this. The Habs have a very exciting team. Young, dynamic and hungry with a offseason filled with people telling them they can't go anywhere.

People forgot to tell the Habs that because this team is making the playoffs.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Another square peg traded away for a round piece. The best teams have a mix of high end skill , work ethic as well as other factors.

I don't hate on Domi he seems like a fine player and a good fit. I just feel we are still missing pieces that you can mostly get by drafting in the top 3. Kotkaniemi is a solid start but I feel our team could make the playoffs as early as next season if everything goes right but that will be a mistake in the long run (imo).

Realistically, we could unfortunately make the playoffs this year.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Realistically, we could unfortunately make the playoffs this year.

Nope , not realistic everybody around us got better and the conditions that previously led to Carey carrying us to playoff spot no longer exist. Everything would need to line up perfectly to have a sniff at a WC spot...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Nope , not realistic everybody around us got better and the conditions that previously led to Carey carrying us to playoff spot no longer exist. Everything would need to line up perfectly to have a sniff at a WC spot...

As you say in your post, we could make the playoffs. It's very difficult with Weber out. But, as the saying goes, if Vegas made the playoffs last year...

Basically it depends on the following stars lining up imo: Price plays like Price, few major injuries, the current younger and more mobile dcore is able to hold the fort until Weber comes back, and the multitude of good but not great offensive players play well enough, including the kids taking steps forward. The main way we can get better from last year is if our young players (i.e. almost the whole team) take big growth steps forward. No doubt we probably won't make it, but it's definitely not impossible.

Reactions: Fixxer

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
As you say in your post, we could make the playoffs. It's very difficult with Weber out. But, as the saying goes, if Vegas made the playoffs last year...

Basically it depends on the following stars lining up imo: Price plays like Price, few major injuries, the current younger and more mobile dcore is able to hold the fort until Weber comes back, and the multitude of good but not great offensive players play well enough, including the kids taking steps forward. The main way we can get better from last year is if our young players (i.e. almost the whole team) take big growth steps forward. No doubt we probably won't make it, but it's definitely not impossible.
Whoever says this need to be reminded Vegas is the exception, not the norm...

Reactions: Andrei79

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Whoever says this need to be reminded Vegas is the exception, not the norm...

If you structure your team like Vegas, you can make the playoffs, by definition. It remains to be seen whether Bergevin has succeeded in structuring his team like Vegas. It's a long shot, as you say the exception rather than the norm, but not at all impossible. Not in today's NHL of parity and youth and speed taking over. And I'm someone who would rather see them out of the playoffs to get the lottery pick.

To me it really depends on how much our young players (i.e. most of the team) have improved individually from last year. We know they will improve, the question is by how much and how fast.

member 300185

I have to bump this. At the beginning of the season many of us thought the Habs can make the playoffs.

Sure, its only 5 games in, but right now 8th overall and showing signs of confidence. Speedy, fast, skilled young team. In same position as the leafs were 3 years ago. Squeek into the playoffs and get some experience. They are only getting better now. They are only 5 points back of Leafs. If they win their next 2, they are only 1 point back.

Think positive. Good things are coming.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I have to bump this. At the beginning of the season many of us thought the Habs can make the playoffs.

Sure, its only 5 games in, but right now 8th overall and showing signs of confidence. Speedy, fast, skilled young team. In same position as the leafs were 3 years ago. Squeek into the playoffs and get some experience. They are only getting better now. They are only 5 points back of Leafs. If they win their next 2, they are only 1 point back.

Many of us thought the Habs can make the playoffs? Really???

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

You should've stopped at the bolded part.

Reactions: groovejuice

member 300185

Many of us thought the Habs can make the playoffs? Really???
Yea, actually go read the previous posts. Over 15 and to me that is "many" when considering the amount that don't believe in this team at all.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Why? I followed that with some factual statements. Team is very good so far.

Your statement of facts ommits an important factor. Team is very good so far, AGAINST WEAK DEFENSES and UNBALANCED teams.

The only balanced team we've went up against, and they are not a powerhouse, we got hosed, no matter how good we played.

member 300185

Your statement of facts ommits an important factor. Team is very good so far, AGAINST WEAK DEFENSES and UNBALANCED teams.

The only balanced team we've went up against, and they are not a powerhouse, we got hosed, no matter how good we played.
You almost beat the team that just beat the Capitals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad