I think this is a playoff team if....

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
When Price did that he had 2 legit 1st pairing D-men on the team and the rest were decent as well. Now we have ZERO top line (with Weber out) and only 1 legit 2nd pairing in Petry. Even if Price rebounds well from last season, he won't put up vezina numbers with this useless D.

agreed.....

Price plays according to the talent/skill and potential of the team in front of him, he does not carry a team, he never has,

Price stinks when the team stinks, Price is great when the team is great,

in prices early years the team was poor to mediocre/average....and so was price,

as the years went on, the team got better and peaked in 2015......guess what?....so did price.....coincidence?.....hell no!!!!

price didnt get any better over those years....the team in front of him got better,

and now the team is in decline and poor again....and guess what?......so is price,

he isnt going to put up a sub 2 GAA and a 920 SV% behind this team,

its just going to be a repeat of last season,

price wont improve again until the team does,

thinking last season was just a fluke or "off season" for price is just rediculous

prices vezina season was a product of the team in front of him, in the same way prices gold medal was

Last edited:
Reactions: Dagistitsyn

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
agreed.....

Price plays according to the talent/skill and potential of the team in front of him, he does not carry a team, he never has,

in prices early years the team was poor to mediocre/average....and so was price,

as the years went on, the team got better and peaked in 2015......guess what?....so did price.....coincidence?.....hell no!!!!

price didnt get any better over those years....the team in front of him got better,

and now the team is in decline and poor again....and guess what?......so is price,

thinking last season was just a fluke or "off season" for price is just rediculous

prices vezina season was a product of the team in front of him, in the same way prices gold medal was

Which is why his 10.5 million per year for 8 years is soon to be / if not already the worst contract in the NHL.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
agreed.....

I mean Price definitely has improved from his first few seasons. A lot. Last year aside, he cut way down on the brain fart goals and controls rebounds a lot better than when he came into the league.
That said, I haven't seen a goalie truly will a team to the finals in a long time. The last time I can remember was Hasek who could literally win with an AHL team. Price won't be doing that, but with good D in front of him, he can be elite in net. The thing is in today's NHL, you need the team and with that, the difference between Price and most other goalies isn't enough to warrant 10 million +++ salary.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Welcome............to MB's brain.

2gm23k.jpg

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
If all our center & defence prospects mature/develop into Crosby clones.(Desire & talent taken to the Nth degree) Price plays like Terry Sawchuk/Tony O Esposito, for most of the season, Weber comes back healthy, leading the scoring parade whilst injuring anyone getting in front of his shots from the point.
Then the ref's call an honest game instead of keeping the game close.(By penalizing the Habs whenever they have pressure, ALA the 70's LOL!!!....) Truly hope the Habs get a Top pick #1 finally in either 2018/19 & 2019/20, then go for broke in 2020/21, a SC Final appearance could be in the offing by then. Bah Humbug!!!...:laugh::laugh::laugh::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::devdance::devdance::devdance:A little incentive for Training Camp hopefuls, if anyone is still healthy after that competition. Go Habs Go!!!...:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
agreed.....

Facts say you're wrong. Here are the team stats from Price's Vezina/Hart season, y'know, the team you claimed was "Great":

- 20th in GF
- 25th in Shots/GP
- 21st in SA/GP
- 23rd in PP
- 23rd in SA% (shot attempts)
- 24th in SA Against

In other words, everything NOT related to Price's performance was bad. The facts say the team couldn't score, couldn't prevent shots, couldn't create chances, couldn't prevent chances against. The team was near the bottom in every major category... EXCEPT for the categories related to goaltending:

- 1st in GA
- 1st in SV%

In other words, your entire premise is made-up and totally wrong.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Facts say you're wrong. Here are the team stats from Price's Vezina/Hart season, y'know, the team you claimed was "Great":

- 20th in GF
- 25th in Shots/GP
- 21st in SA/GP
- 23rd in PP
- 24th in SA Against

In other words, everything NOT related to Price's performance was bad. The facts say the team couldn't score, couldn't prevent shots, couldn't create chances, couldn't prevent chances against. The team was near the bottom in every major category... EXCEPT for the categories related to goaltending:

- 1st in GA
- 1st in SV%

I don't disagree with your premise but be careful laying these facts. Some will use this information to delude others into thinking Price alone can carry us into the playoffs , especially if all our prospects have career years.

What this logic fails to consider is that compared to other teams that have now developped top talent , making the playoffs is more challenging as compared with previous years. We actually had the perfect circumstances to go for a cup but now teams in our conference and division have gone from bottom feeders to contenders.

Multiple years of easier paths in the Eastern conference has now led to scenarios where our conference is filled with titans such as: Washington/Pittsburgh/Tampa/Boston/Toronto.
Even teams like: Buffalo/Carolina/Florida/Philly/CBJ/NJ have excellent pieces.

Discussing these scenarios where we sneak into the playoffs is simply delusion and not recognizing that we are now in one the strongest division in Hockey.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think other teams got better... and we got worse. I rank Chucky > Domi in a 1 for 1 trade. Petry is a really solid 2nd pairing but struggles when he's the #1 guy, which we will see again.
I would think after 20 games, we won't have more then 6-7 wins.

I don't think they got worse, if Pac isn't traded I can't see him going into a contract year and being that bad again, so a better Price and a better Pac and right there you got a better team. Although a big part will be how long Weber is out and what form he's in when he's back. But you have Armia, Hudon, Lehkonen, Scherbak should show things if used properly which with Julien I'm not sure that will happen. Plus I think Drouin will put up more points then last year and Domi depending on how he's used perhaps he has a better season.

Facts say you're wrong

sometimes you just have to look at who's posting it, as clearly Price did something very terrible to her/him.

Reactions: Lshap

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I don't disagree with your premise but be careful laying these facts. Some will use this information to delude others into thinking Price alone can carry us into the playoffs , especially if all our prospects have career years.

What this logic fails to consider is that compared to other teams that have now developped top talent , making the playoffs is more challenging as compared with previous years. We actually had the perfect circumstances to go for a cup but now teams in our conference and division have gone from bottom feeders to contenders.

Multiple years of easier paths in the Eastern conference has now led to scenarios where our conference is filled with titans such as: Washington/Pittsburgh/Tampa/Boston/Toronto.

Discussing these scenarios where we sneak into the playoffs is simply delusion and not recognizing that we are now in one the strongest division in Hockey.
Agree completely, though what's the harm if people want to imagine us making the playoffs? Being a fan is all about hope, so let 'em hope. It's like buying a lottery ticket -- you can enjoy the dream until the final numbers intrude on the fantasy.

Truth is, there are enough variables on the roster for the Habs to lurch over the finish line and make the playoffs. Weirder things happen every season. But I don't expect nor want that to happen. There's no point in the Habs burning through their fuel in the regular season just to be creamed in the post-season. The real wins lie in the next two years of drafts and development.

Reactions: scrubadam

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
I don't think they got worse, if Pac isn't traded I can't see him going into a contract year and being that bad again, so a better Price and a better Pac and right there you got a better team. Although a big part will be how long Weber is out and what form he's in when he's back. But you have Armia, Hudon, Lehkonen, Scherbak should show things if used properly which with Julien I'm not sure that will happen. Plus I think Drouin will put up more points then last year and Domi depending on how he's used perhaps he has a better season.

Price will hopefully be better but we're bad enough it won't matter... we can't score.
If Max is back I think he will be just as shite as last season. Without a C or D-men to push the play or Radulov to attract the pressure, he is ineffective. The pressure will mount FAST if he starts slow and it'll only get worse.
Armia, Hudon, Lehkonen, Scherbak... you have 4 guys who if they reach their max potential could be decent 2nd liners. None of those guys will be scaring the other team. I doubt an opposing coach even brings them up in the game plan. I really like Scherbak though and think he will end up the best of the 4 guys listed.

Without Weber, we have the worst D in the league. And undoubtedly we have the worst center corps in the league.
That is a wonderful combination when you're trying to draft Hughes.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

- 20th in GF
- 25th in Shots/GP
- 21st in SA/GP
- 23rd in PP
- 24th in SA Against

- 1st in GA
- 1st in SV%

The team's strategy revolved around Price. Compare those stats to 12-13 and you'll see what I mean. The bolded part is completely wrong. They didn't prevent shots because they were constantly trying to box out players so Price would get clear sight of the shots. They played a conservative grinding style that creates a lot of possession losses, versus a possession style hockey where you would see those stats in reverse. It's not an indication of how good the team was or not, but of how they were used.

The goals against charts also show our right side was under the league average for PERCENTAGE of goals allowed (5% GA Habs vs 7% GA league wide), same for the slot (38% vs 41%), same from the point (7% vs 11%), and much over average on our left side (13% vs 7%). This means there were elements on the defense which helped the right side vs the left side, and Price's weak side being the left also, and they were one of the teams that limited chances from the blueline and the slot the most, an important component to a strong defense.

You make it sound as if they were completely disorganized, which is untrue. Their shot against and goals against charts show a team limiting outside chances. Habs were actually one of the teams that allowed the fewest scoring chances, despite allowing a lot of shots. All of this has all the earmarks of a team playing ultra conservative hockey where all five men are always back before the opposing team completely enters the zone, which limits offense, and skews the balance of offensive vs defensive stats, which is about every stat you posted.

Context. Context. Context.

Subban was nominated for the Norris (3rd, and Markov 22nd).

They had two dmen in the top 11 for points. Habs also dominated the points by dmen category, like 07-08. Like 07-08, the upper tier of the roster (7 players) all went over 40 points (teams usually do well when that happens). The big difference being depth scoring which was a lot less for the 14-15 club. Despite playing a conservative style, the upper tier of the team did almost as well offensively than the roster we had in 07-08.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The team's strategy revolved around Price. Compare those stats to 12-13 and you'll see what I mean. The bolded part is completely wrong. They didn't prevent shots because they were constantly trying to box out players so Price would get clear sight of the shots. They played a conservative grinding style that creates a lot of possession losses, versus a possession style hockey where you would see those stats in reverse. It's not an indication of how good the team was or not, but of how they were used.

The goals against charts also show our right side was under the league average for PERCENTAGE of goals allowed (5% GA Habs vs 7% GA league wide), same for the slot (38% vs 41%), same from the point (7% vs 11%), and much over average on our left side (13% vs 7%). This means there were elements on the defense which helped the right side vs the left side, and Price's weak side being the left also, and they were one of the teams that limited chances from the blueline and the slot the most, an important component to a strong defense.

You make it sound as if they were completely disorganized, which is untrue. Their shot against and goals against charts show a team limiting outside chances. Habs were actually one of the teams that allowed the fewest scoring chances, despite allowing a lot of shots. All of this has all the earmarks of a team playing ultra conservative hockey where all five men are always back before the opposing team completely enters the zone, which limits offense, and skews the balance of offensive vs defensive stats, which is about every stat you posted.

You have a point, to an extent. I don't think the team was as bad as the numbers indicated. However, it was miles from being "Great", which was the claim by one person. By every measure, it wasn't great. The Habs had the same old problem then as now: They couldn't score. And sure enough, that weakness bit them in the ass in the playoffs and they were skunked by Tampa.

I agree the defence was good, especially with the addition of Petry at the trade deadline. But I'll maintain that the limp possession stats reflected our forwards' talent deficit more than it did a strategic coaching system.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017

Subban was nominated for the Norris (3rd, and Markov 22nd).

They had two dmen in the top 11 for points. Habs also dominated the points by dmen category, like 07-08. Like 07-08, the upper tier of the roster (7 players) all went over 40 points (teams usually do well when that happens). The big difference being depth scoring which was a lot less for the 14-15 club. Despite playing a conservative style, the upper tier of the team did almost as well offensively than the roster we had in 07-08.

:thumbu: :handclap: :clap: :nod:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
You have a point, to an extent. I don't think the team was as bad as the numbers indicated. However, it was miles from being "Great", which was the claim by one person. By every measure, it wasn't great. The Habs had the same old problem then as now: They couldn't score. And sure enough, that weakness bit them in the ass in the playoffs and they were skunked by Tampa.

I agree the defence was good, especially with the addition of Petry at the trade deadline. But I'll maintain that the limp possession stats reflected our forwards' talent deficit more than it did a strategic coaching system.

Our 7 best offensive producers did just as well as our 7 best offensive producers in 07-08 (both including 2 dmen, PK&Markov vs Markov&Streit), despite playing a much more conservative style. The 40 goals missing between the two teams is mostly due to a conservative style and less offensive depth in the bottom 6.

If Therrien had used them like he did in 12-13, that team would've scored a lot of goals too.

Style of play has a huge impact on team stats.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Our 7 best offensive producers did just as well as our 7 best offensive producers in 07-08 (both including 2 dmen, PK&Markov vs Markov&Streit), despite playing a much more conservative style. The 40 goals missing between the two teams is mostly due to a conservative style and less offensive depth in the bottom 6.

If Therrien had used them like he did in 12-13, that team would've scored a lot of goals too.

Style of play has a huge impact on team stats.
How good the forwards could have been if they were used correctly is a legitimate question. However, the bottom line is they weren't used correctly. So, regardless of the roster's potential, the actual results were poor. They finished near the bottom in almost every offensive category. Maybe they should've scored more, but they didn't.

That was the team Price had in front of him, and yet he managed to put up some damn astounding numbers and win a ridiculous number of games.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Price will hopefully be better but we're bad enough it won't matter... we can't score.
If Max is back I think he will be just as ****e as last season. Without a C or D-men to push the play or Radulov to attract the pressure, he is ineffective. The pressure will mount FAST if he starts slow and it'll only get worse.
Armia, Hudon, Lehkonen, Scherbak... you have 4 guys who if they reach their max potential could be decent 2nd liners. None of those guys will be scaring the other team. I doubt an opposing coach even brings them up in the game plan. I really like Scherbak though and think he will end up the best of the 4 guys listed.

Without Weber, we have the worst D in the league. And undoubtedly we have the worst center corps in the league.
That is a wonderful combination when you're trying to draft Hughes.

The problem is so many other teams suck, like I said if Price doesn't have a 3.11 gaa and is closer to 2.5, we are likely drafting 9th so if he's a little better and the team scores a little more they could end up picking around 9th instead of the top 3 which is where we need to be. This could have been solved had they traded Petry, Gallagher and Pac last year when it was clear this team was f***ed for a long time to come.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

- 20th in GF
- 25th in Shots/GP
- 21st in SA/GP
- 23rd in PP
- 24th in SA Against

- 1st in GA
- 1st in SV%

Thanks for being consistent. At least what you wrote matches up to what this board was saying for the past 2 years, that it was all on Price and this team was a lottery team without him.

One stat you forgot to add was that the Habs let in 2 goals or less in 51 games that year, and Price won 37 of those games.

Price himself was quoted as saying he can play better. If he can repeat his Vezna season (or at least 85%) the team will probably make the playoffs.

This team isn't going to score a lot of goals unless some miracle happens. So the only hope is to hold the opposition to 2 or less goals.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

Keep in mind you are in a fantasy thread where we are discussing scenarios where its possible the habs can make the playoffs. This isn't really a thread about how good the team is, its more a thread where we throw out ideas on how its possible for this team to get into the playoffs.

And teams get better or worse all the time. When the habs were doing well they still had Boston and TB that were strong in our division. What can trump it all is Price going into god mode.

Last year the team had 207 goals, Price's Vezna season where the team finished 2nd we only had 7 more goals for 214. All we have lost so far is AG and its not like he a scoring machine last year he had 17 Goals. Clearly this team isn't going to score a lot so its going to come down to Price/Shoot outs/3v3.

Its a long shot but thats why we have this thread to have some fun. I personally do not think Price will be able to repeat his Vezna season, but if the team wants playoffs thats the only chance.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Thanks for being consistent. At least what you wrote matches up to what this board was saying for the past 2 years, that it was all on Price and this team was a lottery team without him.

That's not what I was saying. I originally responded to someone's bizarre proclamation that Price's Vezina was due to the great team in front of him. That was simply wrong. That 2014/15 roster was far better than a lottery team, but its offence was -- and still is -- lousy. Back then the D was good and, of course, Price was on top of his game. That got us far, if not far enough.

One stat you forgot to add was that the Habs let in 2 goals or less in 51 games that year, and Price won 37 of those games.

Price himself was quoted as saying he can play better. If he can repeat his Vezna season (or at least 85%) the team will probably make the playoffs.

This team isn't going to score a lot of goals unless some miracle happens. So the only hope is to hold the opposition to 2 or less goals.

In 2014/15 the team allowed a lot of shots and a lot of chances. Price stopped almost all of them. That stat reflects on him more than anyone else. Could that same system translate into the same success in 2018/19? Doubt it. Unless our current D learns how to keep the crease clear and prevent some of those open slots, Price is in store for a tough year, albeit better than last year.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
That's not what I was saying. I originally responded to someone's bizarre proclamation that Price's Vezina was due to the great team in front of him. That was simply wrong. That 2014/15 roster was far better than a lottery team, but its offence was -- and still is -- lousy. Back then the D was good and, of course, Price was on top of his game. That got us far, if not far enough.

In 2014/15 the team allowed a lot of shots and a lot of chances. Price stopped almost all of them. That stat reflects on him more than anyone else. Could that same system translate into the same success in 2018/19? Doubt it. Unless our current D learns how to keep the crease clear and prevent some of those open slots, Price is in store for a tough year, albeit better than last year.

I doubt he can do it again but if the team wants to make the playoffs he is going to have to.

I will give those teams Markov and PK, and without Weber the D is at a big handicap but the rest of the D was just as meh as what we have. Price is just going to have to be spectacular. I will say if he does it though he will have earned his 10.5 this season.

Most likely it won't happen but I bet its what Julien is pinning all his hopes on.

member 300185

If the habs can stay 500 until Weber gets back I think they will make it. Team is not as bad as some think.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The premise of the thread is how do you think the habs will make the playoffs. So I am saying the only way the team can make the playoffs this year is by winning games where the goalie lets in 2 goals or less. Its not what I want its mathematically the only way this team has a chance to make the playoffs.

So I looked at some numbers and saw that Price's best season he was able to get enough wins at 2 goals or less that it was possible to make the playoffs even with a horrible offense. So if by some miracle Price repeats that performance then the team has a chance at playoffs. If Price does not repeat then the team has no chance at playoffs.
Heck of a job our GM is doing there, eh...

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

- 20th in GF
- 25th in Shots/GP
- 21st in SA/GP
- 23rd in PP
- 24th in SA Against

- 1st in GA
- 1st in SV%

Good work............haters gonna hate...........we have the only fan base that EXPECTS our goalie to carry the team...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad