I think this is a playoff team if....

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
If the habs can stay 500 until Weber gets back I think they will make it. Team is not as bad as some think.
If, is not the greatest plan...although they could come out with zero expectations and surprise, but it is not likely...it's hard for them to win with him in the lineup, let alone without him...we are more than likely to struggle to score goals and the standings will show this...........Bergevin fired in November as a result.

Reactions: Miller Time

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
If the habs can stay 500 until Weber gets back I think they will make it. Team is not as bad as some think.

It's not just the team by itself, it's how do they compare to: TB, Toronto, Boston, ... and Florida or Buffalo in the division. They have to surpass three of those five teams for a divisional playoff spot. Only two is fourth place and no spot.

The best chance the Habs have is as a wildcard, and that is stiff competition as well.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

member 300185

Had to bump this. Montreal is playing one heck of a game. Granted, Leafs playing like crap but I seriously believe in this team. I think there is enough speed and talent there to make a good push. Not as bad as many here think.

Reactions: HankyZetts

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Had to bump this. Montreal is playing one heck of a game. Granted, Leafs playing like crap but I seriously believe in this team. I think there is enough speed and talent there to make a good push. Not as bad as many here think.

it's the preseason though. If that meant something Jan Bulis would have lead the league in scoring at one point.

member 300185

it's the preseason though. If that meant something Jan Bulis would have lead the league in scoring at one point.
Its pre-season but you can clearly see a better team without Patches. Price was amazing but just a little unlucky with bounces.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
They're barely a .500 team with Weber in the lineup. :shakehead

Weber can make a difference, but I reckon it would take him a long time to get his form back. He's barely played in the last several months, and missing training usually is a bad sign for most players.

It's pretty much another write off season for him, which actually helps Montreal achieve what they need going forward.

Reactions: MC94

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Its pre-season but you can clearly see a better team without Patches. Price was amazing but just a little unlucky with bounces.

here's an easy way to look at it,

If Price lets in around 3 goals per game, we are f***ed

If Price lets in around 2 goals per game and we get some improvements in offense, we could make the playoffs

If Price lets in around 2.5 goals per game, we are going to need several players to have big years and improved secondary scoring while getting some kind of decent offensive production from our blueline to make the playoffs. So most likely we would miss the playoffs but be a good bit better then last year.

Weber can make a difference, but I reckon it would take him a long time to get his form back. He's barely played in the last several months, and missing training usually is a bad sign for most players.

It's pretty much another write off season for him, which actually helps Montreal achieve what they need going forward.

It's a valid point, we don't know what a 33 year old Weber will look like after being out of the NHL for over a year (assuming he's not back till mid-Dec).

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
We need help on D. Weber getting back should help a lot. But, we still need our youngsters to up their game and Petry to round in to shape.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If Weber and Price are healthy and Price is back to his true form, then this Habs team is a playoff team.

Sure, its a first round exit but there is value in the playoffs with young guys getting valuable experience.

A healthy Weber gives much needed depth on the blue line bumping everyone down a spot where they should be.

Although the Habs cant do anything in the playoffs with no proper centers, the regular season should rack up enough points.

Thoughts?

Put together your best line-up that makes the playoffs.
Habs certainly been interesting to watch in pre-season. Better than I thought they were going to be, I can't wait for season to start. Speedy team fun to watch. Seem to play more a team concept than last year's club. I think because of improvements in coaching staff and traded attitudes gives them more a team then bunch of individual players.

Like to see them take a page of out Vegas' book from last year. A bunch of nobodys expected to go nowhere but well coached with no pressure on them.

Drouin back to the wing he could be our Marchessault. Luke Richardson working with Mete and Juulsen they could be our Nate Schmidt and Miller. Both make major improvements. Weber coming back in 2nd half could be our Shea Theodore. Price could be next year's Marc Andre Fleury. Comeback player of the year. Tatar could be a Haula. Gallagher a Karlsson, has a career year. Domi our David Perron. Hudon our Tuch.

Hopefully, they can challenge for a playoff position. Because this draft is deep draft but not top loaded with stars like most drafts. The only star player is Hughes, he is head and shoulders best player available in draft. Plus odds of getting first overall pick are pretty slim as Ottawa and Vancouver among other teams are pretty bad, then have to win a lottery. Difference between a Newhook or Suzuki around 15th and a Kakko or Krebs isn't worth suffering thru a terrible season. They are a better player but not worth throwing your season for and doing that to your ticket base.

A month ago, I wasn't going to watch a game let alone attend a game. Today, I am eyeing tickets in the whites for the Pens game on Oct. 13th.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We get to the playoffs if we limit the other teams to 2 or 3 goals per game. We need a good team defense and good special teams (both PK and PP). This roster is built to score by committee.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I think there's a good chance Montreal ends up with a 10-14 overall pick. Playoffs is pretty much a dream

Locks: Toronto/Tampa/Boston/Washington/Pittsburgh
High chance: Columbus/Philly
Bubble: Devils/Panthers

Reactions: gillyguzzler

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
here's an easy way to look at it,

If Price lets in around 3 goals per game, we are ****ed

If Price lets in around 2 goals per game and we get some improvements in offense, we could make the playoffs

If Price lets in around 2.5 goals per game, we are going to need several players to have big years and improved secondary scoring while getting some kind of decent offensive production from our blueline to make the playoffs. So most likely we would miss the playoffs but be a good bit better then last year.

It's a valid point, we don't know what a 33 year old Weber will look like after being out of the NHL for over a year (assuming he's not back till mid-Dec).

The D and goaltending in regards to Price are a big question mark, but if the the 30th place offence doesn’t improve, we won’t be discussing playoffs.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I think there's a good chance Montreal ends up with a 10-14 overall pick. Playoffs is pretty much a dream

Locks: Toronto/Tampa/Boston/Washington/Pittsburgh
High chance: Columbus/Philly
Bubble: Devils/Panthers

So basically this season will be exactly like last season?

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
If we can avoid major injuries and get a healthy Weber back, we will challenge for a spot no doubt.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I don't see us making the playoffs, but I already see a much more positive bunch of guys
Also see this team being a lot more aggressive and less passive, you can already see a different approach witch is probably coming from a Ducharme and Bouchard
Enough with the boring style from Julien, the game has changed and it's time to move along

MC94

May 13, 2018
If, is not the greatest plan...although they could come out with zero expectations and surprise, but it is not likely...it's hard for them to win with him in the lineup, let alone without him...we are more than likely to struggle to score goals and the standings will show this...........Bergevin fired in November as a result.
No chance of a mid year firing after they are granted another top 5 pick then he gets tossed

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
If Kotkaniemi steps in and has a Nico Hischier effect... Reilly emerges as a viable top 4 D... Mete-Juulsen emerges as an enviable young pairing... Weber returns to his Norris level play immediately... Price returns to his Vezina level play... Domi and Drouin have breakout seasons...

MC94

May 13, 2018
The D and goaltending in regards to Price are a big question mark, but if the the 30th place offence doesn’t improve, we won’t be discussing playoffs.
Well alot can go wrong with this years offense but alot can go right as well, drouin could have a great year if he stays on wing, gallagher is a sure 25 goals, domi has the potential to surprise his haters, lehkonen could break out, im expecting mete to have a boost offensivly, tatar I think is good for 20, and who knows maybe kotkaniemi comes in guns ablazzin and gives us top 6 production although im not expecting all of that to happen it very well could

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
The thing we must remember is that while we constantly see our team as inferior to the true contenders, against the bottom feeders and middling teams we will do very, very well. We have speed and skill up and down the lineup, and for the first time in a while we have a modern style. We will likely fall short against top competition but I don't see us being the dumpster fire people pretend we are.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
I really believe that this young team is quite talented and if everything comes together and they play the way I think they can, then we really could win just enough games to miss the playoffs and get a poopy draft pick.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Habs are playing a faster brand, but the losses will pile up this year again.

There is just not enough on the big roster to sustain the level of play required to make it through an 82 game season, and the valleys will likely be alot steeper than the peaks.

However, the preseason, style of play, and the direction of the offseason has indicated that habs fans should be encouraged about the future, but there is still a lot of work to be done before it translates in the nhl standings.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I really believe that this young team is quite talented and if everything comes together and they play the way I think they can, then we really could win just enough games to miss the playoffs and get a poopy draft pick.
Exactly. People get so excited because they see what a difference a top level player like Kotkaniemi makes to the team..why not put all the chances on our side to try and draft another player of that level and make the team that much better next year?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
This season has way more rebuilding teams in East so I'd say it's going to be close. Montreal already has more injury problems to key players than other teams

Toronto, and Tampa are locks. Boston has some injury issues, but they've earned any benefit of the doubt to hang with the big boys for now. Florida's top 6 cannot be ignored either, even if they have other question marks.

It's hard to see any scenario where the habs finish higher than 5th in this division.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad