I think this is a playoff team if....

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
But the mean is higher than their record shows right now hence they'll rise to their mean
Extrapolate their pace to their mean is what I assume is meant. Just like Webers first year as a Hab where he had 18 pts in 21 games or something of that nature and ended with 42 pts I believe.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Extrapolate their pace to their mean is what I assume is meant. Just like Webers first year as a Hab where he had 18 pts in 21 games or something of that nature and ended with 42 pts I believe.
I agree that's what he meant. But you also have to take into consideration those players that haven't yet played to their mean. Their numbers will go up

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
I agree that's what he meant. But you also have to take into consideration those players that haven't yet played to their mean. Their numbers will go up
Tatar has produced 37-56 point pace over the past 6 years, it isnt a stretch to believe his 1.33 ppg pace is unsustainable for a whole season. Paul Byron tops out at .5 ppg but is at .833 ppg so far. The scoring will dry up it is just how it is distributed that will dictate how it affects their record.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If we're not going to get a high pick, I sure as hell hope we at least make the playoffs. At least then we have something to watch.

Bonus points if we knock off a team like TO or Boston. THAT would be epic!

Still no expectations though. I've seen this movie before. So I'll hope for the best and expect the worst. That's what being a Hab fan is like these days.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Is it possible to turn this into a poll? I am curious how many people have flipped since 3 weeks?

-Do you think the Habs will make the playoffs.
-Do you think the Habs will miss the playoffs.

Do you think the Habs will out point Tampa Boston or Toronto probably not. That leaves us fighting the Met for a wildcard berth.
Based on what we have on the ice this year it's probably a worst case scenario for the draft. Just in or Just out sucks...

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
If we're not going to get a high pick, I sure as hell hope we at least make the playoffs. At least then we have something to watch.

Bonus points if we knock off a team like TO or Boston. THAT would be epic!

Still no expectations though. I've seen this movie before. So I'll hope for the best and expect the worst. That's what being a Hab fan is like these days.
At least we are showing up.

And the wins we have, we have earned, unlike plenty of hot starts that felt like we got the bounces/Jesus Price.

That’s where comes my enjoyment at this moment, still no expectations though.

Reactions: Routs

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
At least we are showing up.

And the wins we have, we have earned, unlike plenty of hot starts that felt like we got the bounces/Jesus Price.

That’s where comes my enjoyment at this moment, still no expectations though.
And that's the right attitude to have. Just enjoy it while you can. If the strong play continues that's awesome. If not, you had no expectations anyway.

Reactions: Routs

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
Dude, it's 5 games. It's not being negative. It's having restraint and tempering expectations. I've been around the block long enough to know it takes a lot more than 5 games to properly asses a team, especially when they are playing over expectations.
How can you have any real expectations for something without properly assessing said thing?

Not enough to compensate. The lack of high end talent will catch-up with the team.
I wonder how many times this same exact thing was said about Las Vegas around this time last year.. I know I doubted them big time.

Last edited by a moderator:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I wonder how many times this same exact thing was said about Las Vegas around this time last year.. I know I doubted them big time.

Vegas ended up with 2 75 or more pt players, 5 55 or more pt players, 5 20+ goal players, 4 defensemen with 20+ pts. A starter with a 2.24 gaa and a .927 save %.

If the Habs come close to that they shouldn't have trouble making the playoffs.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

What does Vegas have to do with all this? You can find exceptions for pretty much everything.

BTW for those interested between November 25th and December 2nd of last season Price won 5 games in a row.

It's too soon guys. The team might be the real deal who knows but it's too soon. At least i hope all of you will be there in January IF the team sinks to accept gracefully the incoming "we told you so". A lot of Alzner is solid guys disappeared last year in the middle of the season.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Vegas ended up with 2 75 or more pt players, 5 55 or more pt players, 5 20+ goal players, 4 defensemen with 20+ pts. A starter with a 2.24 gaa and a .927 save %.

If the Habs come close to that they shouldn't have trouble making the playoffs.

Of course not. Tatar is on pace for 109 points and Gallagher 55 goals. Byron, Petry and Domi 68 points. If all those players keep their current pace we'll be in the playoffs easily and we'll win the cup if they keep producing like that in playoffs.

Who's willing to bet Tatar will have 109 points?

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
I really dont know what to think, I look at this roster and it doesnt look like a playoff team. Before the season I’d have said this is a playoff team only if Price is back to god mode. I still think we’ll eventually falter and fall back to earth, but for now the team is fun to watch so I’ll just enjoy the ride.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
How can you have any real expectations for something without properly assessing said thing?

And look at them now. What they did means nothing regarding the Habs. An exception doesn't make the rule.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Of course not. Tatar is on pace for 109 points and Gallagher 55 goals. Byron, Petry and Domi 68 points. If all those players keep their current pace we'll be in the playoffs easily and we'll win the cup if they keep producing like that in playoffs.

Who's willing to bet Tatar will have 109 points?

Matthews is on his way to 103 goals, would be pretty tough to beat in the playoffs.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Weber won't be back to 100% until mid to late december. He barely started skating again after almost a full year out. He won't be back until December and that's if there's no setback. And then sone time re-adapting to the game.

I bet you that while he should be a big help, he won't even be able to hit his stride the whole season. The loss of training camp is typically a big blow to player's season, let alone training camp plus another 2-3 months of action.

member 300185

Bumpity bump bump....

So, are the nay sayers coming around now? Fast, skilled exciting team to watch.

After tonight when the Habs put the Flames to bed and tuck them in, they will have 12 points and move into a tie with the Leafs.

And, if the Habs keep getting better and better, Weber, one of the best D men in the league will be back with the team.

Playoffs....hell yea.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Not enough to compensate. The lack of high end talent will catch-up with the team.

Some players we didn't think have high end talent may emerge as high end talent this year: Drouin, Domi, Tatar, and maybe even Kotkaniemi, to go along with Gallagher, plus very solid 2-way players like Danault, Lehkonen, Byron, and Armia. Plus a very mobile d-core (Petry, Rielly, Mete, Juulsen, Ouellet), and an anchor (Weber). Plus Price back to his old self. Plus, hopefully soon, Hudon making the 4th line a consistent offensive threat

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The blueline after Petry, Reilly now has a grand total of 2 assists. But if Tatar, Domi, Gallagher all have 70 pt seasons they will make the playoffs for sure.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
Still early to tell, around the 20-24 game mark we’ll have a good idea of our chances, but so far we look like we’re going to make it barring significant injury or a dry spell. The attitude and energy around the team looks pretty solid though, it doesn’t look like these kids will give up this year. We actually look and feel like a team. Crazy to think we’re sitting first today in the East, and Weber’s return will only give us a huge boost.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
This team is propped up by 5 players, so unless Domi, Tatar, Drouin, Gallagher and Petry all keep up this pace, they are going to need more production from the rest of the team. Price's numbers have dipped a little, it's only 3 weeks into the season so we'll see how that goes as he is still the guy that has to be at the top of his game if they are hope to make the playoffs. Just really don't see those 5 guys keeping up a ppg or close to it pace, so we'll see who picks up the slack in time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad