I think this is a playoff team if....

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Lmao.. exactly the strawman I predicted.

Im not the board. This is your usual MO to escape an argument.

Most here will agree that Weber is (was, if done) #1 elite D.

Why would I answer your simple question?

You're the one who butt in and interjected in a conversation by bringing your usual baggage of imbecilities, and proclaiming that I only brought my bias instead of facts, when all I did was brought up a fact, not bias.

That initial reply you made was either completely ignorant or dishonest, and whether one or the other, you've shown time and time again that you cant debate in good faith.

And im pretty sure it's futile to reply as all of this is gonna fly over your head, like everything else that doesnt fit with your bias.

You are completely clueless
Ozy debating with be belial is about as one sided as Crosby going one on one with Lolzner.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Really?

I think I can be a millionaire...

If I decide to play a lottery ticket and
If I get the ticket purchased in time and
If I chose all 7 winning numbers and
If I get my ticket checked and
If I don't lose the ticket and
If I hand the ticket in to collect the money and
If I don't get into a life ending accident during this whole process...

Yup, just like the Habs not making the playoffs, I won't be a millionaire!

"so you're saying there's a chance" ;)

Reactions: Runner77

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Well I don't think the team is going to score a lot this year so the only hope is for them to allow less than 2 goals a game. The team did it 51 times in 2015 during Prices Vezna/Hart season.

So to me the only shot this team has at making the playoffs is for Price to repeat that performance and win 37 games where he lets in 2 goals or less. If that doesn't happen the team doesn't have a chance to make the playoffs.

so if Price is the best player in the league by a mile then MAYBE the Habs have a chance to make the PO, maybe...

this GM built a great team, right ?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
With our D? Teams like the Leafs, Bruins and Lightning will light us up for fun and I predict that we will rarely see the other teams starting goalie and still get steamrolled on a game in game out basis. A 60-65 point team and that is only because of Ottawa and Detroit sucking like us.
Yep. Last season the habs played against the back up goalie almost nightly. It will be the same this season. I agree that teams with top end talent up front (Bruins, Leafs, Lightening) will blow them out of the building. The 10-o loss to the Jackets in 017 wont be a one off this season.
No secret the Canadiens are getting even worse each year since 014.

Last edited:

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
If I smoked away my last remaining brain cells then I might think this could be a playoff team

Edit: don’t we have any stoner smilies?

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Yep. Last season the habs played against the back up goalie almost nightly. It will be the same. I agree that teams with top end talent up front and a great powerplay will blow them out of the building. 10-o loss to the Jackets in 017 wont be a one off this season.
It's not hard to see, we have no quality center depth and not much on D so how can we possibly even come close to a playoff spot? Even if Price is God again we still need to score goals and that is going to be this teams biggest downfall. The silver lining in all of this is that hopefully Molson has seen enough and turns the page on the Bergevin/Therrien disaster and we can move on.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
It's not hard to see, we have no quality center depth and not much on D so how can we possibly even come close to a playoff spot? Even if Price is God again we still need to score goals and that is going to be this teams biggest downfall. The silver lining in all of this is that hopefully Molson has seen enough and turns the page on the Bergevin/Therrien disaster and we can move on.
Amen. But they have played amost 350 games since I first wished for that page to turn.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
If I smoked away my last remaining brain cells then I might think this could be a playoff team

Edit: don’t we have any stoner smilies?

Cannabis is an activator of neurogenesis because it acts upon the endocannabinoid system in the brain. It doesn't eliminate brain cells, it promotes its creation.

The problem with the psychoactive agents of THC is that they deregulate neuroendocrine functions, especially concerning motivation/reward.

I know you meant this as a joke, but people really need to stop spreading old myths.

Alcohol on the other hand, does exactly what you described.

Last edited:

member 300185

With our D? Teams like the Leafs, Bruins and Lightning will light us up for fun and I predict that we will rarely see the other teams starting goalie and still get steamrolled on a game in game out basis. A 60-65 point team and that is only because of Ottawa and Detroit sucking like us.
...careful...

member 300185

Cannabis is an activator of neurogenesis because it acts upon the endocannabinoid system in the brain. It doesn't eliminate brain cells, it promotes its creation.

The problem with the psychoactive agents of THC is that they deregulate neuroendocrine functions, especially concerning motivation/reward.

I know you meant this as a joke, but people really need to stop spreading old myths.

i likes da weed

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
Yep. Last season the habs played against the back up goalie almost nightly. It will be the same this season. I agree that teams with top end talent up front (Bruins, Leafs, Lightening) will blow them out of the building. The 10-o loss to the Jackets in 017 wont be a one off this season.
No secret the Canadiens are getting even worse each year since 014.
But... the 10-1 win against Detroit in December shows we were one of the better teams and got unlucky for the majority of the year!

:sarcasm:

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
This isn't a homerun playoffs team but saying they might make it isn't a stretch. Realistically their goals for can't go down. Gallagher should get another 50 points, we all trashed Drouin but he had nearly 50 points and has potential for 70, Domi pretty much replaces Galchenyuk production(45 vs 51 points last year).

Hudon, Danault, Lehkonen are all bound to have better seasons next year. The only guy I can see regressing is Petry but I'd guess the points he won't get probably will get picked up by Mete who should get 20 points this year.

Then there's Pacioretty, playing for a contract. Whether he stays or gets traded, he or his return will most likely produce more than the 17goals/37 points he got last season.

On a terrible year, this team had 209 goals. 230 goals shouldn't be such a stretch, we'd still be significantly under the league average in shooting percentage(7.7% last year, 230 goals would mean 8.7%, NHL average is 9.2%). Then with goals against, this defence wasn't as bad as some are saying. Niemi had a .929%, Lindgren had a .908%. Price was just a steaming pile of garbage next year. If he and the backup gets just a league average save percentage of .912%, you're looking at 232 goals against. That's with our 10.5m hart winner just being a random average goalie. If he bumps back to a .920% bringing the total average to ~.916%, that's 221 goals against.

An even goal differencial brings team to around 90-95 points. Usually just outside the playoffs. If everything goes normally next season, this is where this team stands. Just a couple points out. If everything goes wrong, last year happens. If just one or two things go right, they make the playoffs and could actually go back to 100-105 points like two years ago. You guys are way too pessimistic. This is a boring team to watch but they have decent pieces.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

lynx

Oct 18, 2005
The wildcard is almost certainly going to come out of the Metro and there is zero chance this team is better than TB, Tor or Florida. We will be fighting with Det, Ott & Buff for the basement.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

This isn't quite accurate.

I'll add that I don't quite get what you mean by the psychoactice agents of THC.

THC is the psychoactive component of cannabis and its effects vary from a very significant increase in psychosis to diminished cortical volume with associated cognitive and affective deficits, both which can be permanent.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
This isn't quite accurate.

I'll add that I don't quite get what you mean by the psychoactice agents of THC.

THC is the psychoactive component of cannabis and its effects vary from a very significant increase in psychosis to diminished cortical volume with associated cognitive and affective deficits, both which can be permanent.

The loss has only been shown in adolescence, and hence, since it is only tickness they verified, not activity, they can't know whether it is an accentuated effect of normal cortical pruning or actual cortical/functional loss. Also, non-diagnosed ADHD might also be the culprit.

Here's a research on the thickness technique VBM (Voxel-based Morphometry)
Long-Term Effects of Cannabis on Brain Structure
"However, our results cannot exclude that abnormal pruning is due to genetic predisposition as seen in children from multiplex alcoholic families even before the beginning of any drinking behavior or in obsessive compulsive disorder (Hill et al, 2007). Hence, a limitation of our study and a matter of debate in the literature are connected to the question of whether these brain changes are caused by cannabis use or are already present before drug use."

Neuronal pruning is not cortical loss. And they forgot to add ADHD and depression patients. (I would need to find other studies that did included the cavaet as I've read some, it's just long to sift through and haven't gone into this in over four years.

This following research was done afterwards with Functional MRI instead of analysing thickness only, you should read what it says:
Grey Matter Changes Associated with Heavy Cannabis Use: A Longitudinal sMRI Study
A small exert "and some others reporting even larger regional brain volumes in cannabis users compared to controls"

The only adult research that shows cortical loss (and not pruning) in adults, again with thickness analysis, is with patience with schizophrenia.

There is still no concensus whether cannabis is causal to schizophrenia. But when looking on research for its origin, you can read giants in the field of genetics research on diseases, like Guy Rouleau, will tell you that there is a lot of genetic modulation by the environment when it comes to schizophrenia. This means intrauterine or postnatal/formative years epigenetic effects. For now, cannabis is a lock as a facilitator for schizophrenia.

A big stumbling block of cannabis research and its effect on cortical mass is the fact that cannabis users are often diagnosed and undiagnosed ADHD individuals or individuals with undiagnosed depression. The smaller cortical regions are the same for both, hence it's hard to tell what came first. The thing is, we know what comes first. ADHD, depression and addiction have a very intimate relationship. They are very related in how they come about. Again, intrauterine and post-natal factors, which we know more about than schizophrenia. The same cortical regions that are affected by ADHD are the same as the cortical regions they notice are smaller in cannabis users. So what is it? Non-diagnosed ADHD patients maybe?

Point is, they do not know if cortical reduction (already present) is due to cannabis, or undiagnosed ADHD or depression.

What we do know about CB1 and CB2 is that they are exact matches for receptors in the endocannabinoid system in the brain (there are steps in our evolutionary history where we probably ate cannabis plants). The endocannabinoid system, and the CB1 and CB2 receptors play a catalyst role in neurogenesis. In adults, neurogenesis is mainly concentrated on the hippocampus, which functions are long-term memory and ANS inhibitor/activator.

Cannabinoids promote embryonic and adult hippocampus neurogenesis and produce anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects
The role of cannabinoids in adult neurogenesis

Also, there is no proof of permanent detrimental effect from cannabis. If Phineas Gage's brain was able to redeem lossed functions over time, the impact of cannabis, especially on the Nucleus Accumbens and the cortical and dopaminergic mesolimbic pathway can be reversed even more easily than how Gage's brain readapted (without any help) and the insult/injury to Gage's brain was physical and extensive.

I wrote the previous post really quickly, I meant psychoactive agents of cannabis, which THC is a major one.

Last edited:

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017

Just lookin’ for a smilie.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
We could also make the playoffs and every player over performs for the whole year. Like if Sherback, Lekhonen, Domi, Armia, Shikaruk, Reilly, Mete, Drouin, Paccio, and Price If everyone plays to the next balls out level, we could win the cup ... and Weber comes back and plays 5 yeara younger ... if the stars align, we can win it all.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
We could also make the playoffs and every player over performs for the whole year. Like if Sherback, Lekhonen, Domi, Armia, Shikaruk, Reilly, Mete, Drouin, Paccio, and Price If everyone plays to the next balls out level, we could win the cup ... and Weber comes back and plays 5 yeara younger ... if the stars align, we can win it all.
Welcome............to MB's brain.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
This isn't a homerun playoffs team but saying they might make it isn't a stretch. Realistically their goals for can't go down. .
Yes, it is a stretch. Any power ranking you look at has us bottom 5 and even if you want to say they're not accurate, look at our team. We haven't improved at all, in fact we may be worse without Chucky's scoring. Centers? not improved. D? worse without Weber (at least he started the season last year. We'll be out of it before he comes back).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad