I think this is a playoff team if....

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yes, it is a stretch. Any power ranking you look at has us bottom 5 and even if you want to say they're not accurate, look at our team. We haven't improved at all, in fact we may be worse without Chucky's scoring. Centers? not improved. D? worse without Weber (at least he started the season last year. We'll be out of it before he comes back).

I think they will be a little bit better mainly because I can't see Price being that bad again. But if he does suck that bad it will at least put us in a great spot to land a top 5 pick in what could be a better draft class then this past summers.

I also think it will come down to what happens at the top. Will Molson continue to say f*** you to the fans and let MB run this shit into the ground or at some point will there be too much pressure and he'll actually get off his lazy ass and fire him. If that happens what will the plan be for the next GM? Try to retool because of Price/Weber etc ... or sell off assets and finally rebuild.

If they don't fire MB and Price is back to his sub 2 gaa ways, this team will easily be better. But I have a hard time seeing that defense help Price play a sub 2 gaa game.

Then there are the wingers. What will Domi bring? Can he get back on track or will he struggle here? Can Lehkonen produce, will Hudon improve, Armia might surprise, and biggest of all to me is Scherbak. I am very high on him but I highly doubt Julien will put him in a major role so I don't think he'll do very well if he's on say the 4th line with DLO and DLR or whoever.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
I think they will be a little bit better mainly because I can't see Price being that bad again. But if he does suck that bad it will at least put us in a great spot to land a top 5 pick in what could be a better draft class then this past summers.

I also think it will come down to what happens at the top. Will Molson continue to say **** you to the fans and let MB run this **** into the ground or at some point will there be too much pressure and he'll actually get off his lazy ass and fire him. If that happens what will the plan be for the next GM? Try to retool because of Price/Weber etc ... or sell off assets and finally rebuild.

If they don't fire MB and Price is back to his sub 2 gaa ways, this team will easily be better. But I have a hard time seeing that defense help Price play a sub 2 gaa game.

Then there are the wingers. What will Domi bring? Can he get back on track or will he struggle here? Can Lehkonen produce, will Hudon improve, Armia might surprise, and biggest of all to me is Scherbak. I am very high on him but I highly doubt Julien will put him in a major role so I don't think he'll do very well if he's on say the 4th line with DLO and DLR or whoever.

When Price did that he had 2 legit 1st pairing D-men on the team and the rest were decent as well. Now we have ZERO top line (with Weber out) and only 1 legit 2nd pairing in Petry. Even if Price rebounds well from last season, he won't put up vezina numbers with this useless D.

We have no centers. Again. Mixed with bad D. Again.

We will not be good which is great because we need to finish bottom 3 and maximize our chances of a chance at Hughes.

I doubt MB gets canned...if he hasn't by now, what else could he possibly do that would get Geoff to fire him. In his mind, he's done right by fans by introducing these new (more expensive??) super hot dogs.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
When Price did that he had 2 legit 1st pairing D-men on the team and the rest were decent as well. Now we have ZERO top line (with Weber out) and only 1 legit 2nd pairing in Petry. Even if Price rebounds well from last season, he won't put up vezina numbers with this useless D.

We will not be good which is great because we need to finish bottom 3 and maximize our chances of a chance at Hughes.

I doubt MB gets canned...if he hasn't by now, what else could he possibly do that would get Geoff to fire him. In his mind, he's done right by fans by introducing these new (more expensive??) super hot dogs.
Isn't that why fans go to games, to experience a really great hot dog?

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Trading elite established players for futures is usually a complete failure!

Those guys will get traded to contenders, so we're talking about late first rounders where there's no guarantee whatsoever.
This is idiotic. Habs have no chance to contend the next 3 years. Possibly 4. You absolutely trade anyone over 30 for a first round pick. Now.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The problem from my point of view is I don't want to be a little bit better. I want to tune into planned stink for the next two seasons.
If this goes like it should I'll digest my new and improved Hab-Dogs with ease.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Sadly I agree that it's doubtful MB will be fired, but I do think Price even with a crappy D will be better and that will suck cause I wouldn't be shocked if we ended up drafting around 10th instead of top 3 again which is what we badly need.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Sadly I agree that it's doubtful MB will be fired, but I do think Price even with a crappy D will be better and that will suck cause I wouldn't be shocked if we ended up drafting around 10th instead of top 3 again which is what we badly need.

I think Price will absolutely be better (he can't get much worse than he was last season). I don't think it'll make too much of a difference in terms of wins/losses though. I think we will start the season in last without Weber and even when he is back, he won't suddenly be 100% and turn us around.

You can be SURE though that MB will blame the upcoming terrible season on injuries and say what did you expect when you lose a guy like Shea Weber?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Thats the thing, if Price lets in 2 or less in 44 games and wins 37 of them we can get buy with a putrid offense. This teams roster sucks so the only way it can make the playoffs is by Price doing what he did in 2015 when he won the Vezna and Hart and picking up 37 wins where the team scores a max of 3 goals.

So my scenario for the team to make the playoffs as is the premise of this thread is for Price to play like he did in 2015 and to pick up 37 wins by letting in 2 goals or less. Thats the only way this roster with its offense has a shot at playoffs.

Is this what you want? A goalie to put up a Hasek like season to make the playoffs and maybe go a round or two if lucky? The GM you support may put all his eggs in that basket but reality is that likely won’t happen again for a long time if ever.

Reactions: Edgy

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think Price will absolutely be better (he can't get much worse than he was last season). I don't think it'll make too much of a difference in terms of wins/losses though. I think we will start the season in last without Weber and even when he is back, he won't suddenly be 100% and turn us around.

You can be SURE though that MB will blame the upcoming terrible season on injuries and say what did you expect when you lose a guy like Shea Weber?

depends on how long he's out though, it's supposed to be between Nov 19th and Dec 19th, if it's somehow before that it would be less then 20 games but if it's after Dec 19th that's over 35 games.

For Price it depends on how much better he is. I don't see him being sub 2 gaa but if he's around say 2.3, that's going to be several more wins. Look at the standings, had Price not been a 3.11 gaa goalie and was say closer to 2.7, with just 4 more wins we are drafting 9th overall, which sadly is around where I could see us picking if MB is still around.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
My only desire for the season besides finishing as low as possible, is that Julien actually grows a set of balls and stops being Bergy's plaything. Stop coaching like you are trying to be competitive and get a new contract out of it. You have a 5 year deal in your pocket, take a look at your former team and realize why they canned you and why the new guy is successful. Understand the way the game has evolved and if you hope to get another job elsewhere when you are fired in Montreal, show you can coach an uptempo style that is pleasing to the fans to watch, and play the kids at the expense of the veterans in key spots. If you can't do this turn over the reigns to Ducharme, Muller and Richardson and serve more in a mentor's role, but just don't hinder the change from the style that has plagued this team since Jacques Martin was coach and let the team move on to the modern NHL, where youth and speed rule, not trapping and stifling creativity.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Carey goes lights out like he was from 14-15
Weber becomes the player he was from 2010-2014,
Gallagher get 30,
Max gets 40,
Drouin to have a career year
Petry to play at the level of a no.2
Alzner and Bennplay like solid a Bottom pairing and not a AHL waiver material.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
depends on how long he's out though, it's supposed to be between Nov 19th and Dec 19th, if it's somehow before that it would be less then 20 games but if it's after Dec 19th that's over 35 games.

For Price it depends on how much better he is. I don't see him being sub 2 gaa but if he's around say 2.3, that's going to be several more wins. Look at the standings, had Price not been a 3.11 gaa goalie and was say closer to 2.7, with just 4 more wins we are drafting 9th overall, which sadly is around where I could see us picking if MB is still around.
I think other teams got better... and we got worse. I rank Chucky > Domi in a 1 for 1 trade. Petry is a really solid 2nd pairing but struggles when he's the #1 guy, which we will see again.
I would think after 20 games, we won't have more then 6-7 wins.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I think other teams got better... and we got worse. I rank Chucky > Domi in a 1 for 1 trade. Petry is a really solid 2nd pairing but struggles when he's the #1 guy, which we will see again.
I would think after 20 games, we won't have more then 6-7 wins.
I really like Petry and think he's woefully under-appreciated. He ended up as our de facto #1 dman last season and was mostly very good. If Bergevin is calibrating the roster towards next year's draft, Petry would be the perfect example of selling high.

Reactions: Deluded Puck

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
I really like Petry and think he's woefully under-appreciated. He ended up as our de facto #1 dman last season and was mostly very good. If Bergevin is calibrating the roster towards next year's draft, Petry would be the perfect example of selling high.
I'm a big fan of Petry as well, as a guy anchoring the 2nd pairing D-line. I thought he looked good at times but inconsistent at others replacing Weber. Can't blame him as he isn't a true #1 and shouldn't be in that position.
Unfortunately, we don't have anyone to play D with Weber/1st pairing on the left side.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Finallyyyyy the Habs make a big change. This team is definitely going to the playoffs now that they changed to 1 BIG Habs logo at center ice.

I wonder how many hours they wasted discussing that.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
This team is not a playoff team. Even if by some stroke of God they make it to the post season, they are still not a playoff team. It would be one and done.

Reactions: Runner77

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Is this what you want? A goalie to put up a Hasek like season to make the playoffs and maybe go a round or two if lucky? The GM you support may put all his eggs in that basket but reality is that likely won’t happen again for a long time if ever.

The premise of the thread is how do you think the habs will make the playoffs. So I am saying the only way the team can make the playoffs this year is by winning games where the goalie lets in 2 goals or less. Its not what I want its mathematically the only way this team has a chance to make the playoffs.

So I looked at some numbers and saw that Price's best season he was able to get enough wins at 2 goals or less that it was possible to make the playoffs even with a horrible offense. So if by some miracle Price repeats that performance then the team has a chance at playoffs. If Price does not repeat then the team has no chance at playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad